|
Author Topic:   Suggestions and Questions to a great game
Blacktooth
unregistered
posted November 07, 1999 09:30 PM           
First my suggestion:
How about making it so that when you drive over a power-up weapon of the same kind you have, it gives you more ammo. Right now it wont let you pick-up the same weapon unless your ammo is depleted. I don't think this would unbalance the game tactics too much and would help my keyboard last a lil longer ;-)

Question on hosting:
Am I doing something wrong hosting games? I'm running a 450 Celeron with 192MB RAM with an excellent Roadrunner cable connection (really! it rocks). All seems fine until I get about 4 players in a game then it starts "lagging". I've tried various settings for the packets/sec and it seems to do best at 2K pkts/sec. And I leave my client setting at 10K (works best when I'm a client on RC's servers). RC mentioned once it was because I was playing and hosting. Is this the case? I would think I have adequate horsepower and a big enough pipe for at least 8 players. Do bots make much of a difference? Would love some input.

Once again I'm truly astounded at this game. Blows Q3A and UT away IMHO.
Great work LDA!!! make the final just as good

IP:

LDA Seumas
unregistered
posted November 08, 1999 02:38 AM           
Getting more ammo from the same weapon type might be do-able... Right now you can of course upgrade your bolt-on ammo through the Super Ammo power-ups (reflective ammo boxes). As for your keyboard lasting longer, remember that you can hold the space bar to fire continuously, you don't need to bang at it, if that's what you're doing.

There are a few reasons you might be having trouble hosting... For starters, I believe most cable modems are optimized (and intended) for incoming traffic mostly, so might be throttled or otherwise limited on outgoing packets, as needed by any type of server. If you're using Windows 9x, it could be that its lackluster multi-tasking and TCP/IP performance is causing bursting when the traffic gets heavy. Or your Celeron, with its lower amount of cache, could be having trouble handling two tasks at once smoothly. A Dual-CPU NT machine is really the best way to serve and play at the same time.

The server itself shouldn't require that much CPU time; a P133 can run at least a couple of dedicated servers simultaneously with a number of bots each. You should be able to see if your Celeron and Windows' multi-tasking are up to the task by e.g. running a 10 bot server and connecting to it at the same time, with no outside connections. If that runs well, then lagginess with net connections would seem to be related to the cable modem connection, or Windows' TCP/IP stack.

------------------
-- Seumas McNally, Lead Programmer, Longbow Digital Arts

IP:

Blacktooth
unregistered
posted November 08, 1999 10:18 PM           
Thanks for the input Seumas. I tried the 10 bot server with only myself and it ran great. So i reckon it's the upstream limit :-(

IP: