|
Author Topic:   Question to programers:
Random Chaos
posted November 07, 1999 12:13 PM            
1: Could you give us some idea on the status of the next version of the game. I am also curious as to the status of your final version that was hoped to be coming out in late Nov.

2: I feel that the tank problem I listed before could be a MAJOR problem. Once people start creating their own skins and meshes for tanks, people will start seeing missing tanks. My suggestion is set a tank to default so that when a tank is not on the client, it shows up as this default tank instead. Its a reletively simple change and would allow greater diversity of game play.

3: Ingame Downloads. As several other games do, they have ingame downloads of levels. I have played games that don't have in game downloads and they just aren't as fun. User created levels wind up not being used as much. I would suggest adding this feature to the game - or at least making a patch in the near future that allows it.

4: Team Flags: As you know, Clans would like to have their own Team Flags. Is it possible to select a flag other than the default colors as a team flag? If so, how would a server and a client that don't have that option treat it - assuming that the server is not limiting the colors availiable.

5: Team selection box: Once connected to the server, you should highlight the teams that the server allows. It is often annoying to have to guess as to what team is allowed and which isn't.

6: Fonts: Your fonts that you use in the game. Take a look at the number of faces that each of those meshes has! They will really slow down a computer that is not using hardware accel! If you can't change this by the final release, I would suggest that you release an alternative font that has the same general shape but less faces.

------------------
Random Chaos
Clan Temporal Chaos
treadmarks.3d-unlimited.com
randomc@3d-unlimited.com

IP:

LDA Seumas
unregistered
posted November 08, 1999 02:19 AM           
Things have been a little slower than hoped for lately. We're aiming to be done by the 15th or so, and out of production and shipping by the first week of December. There may be a Test yet before going gold.

There's not really an easy way to get the clients to replace non-existent entities with a default, since the entity creation is done with a hash code which, if it doesn't exist on the client, contains no meaningful information about the type of entity to create. However, if a server doesn't have any new entities, any client that tries to set a different entity that doesn't exist on the server will get a default tank type. So as long as servers advertise that they have new tanks available, and put them up for download on their Web Site, then there shouldn't be a big problem.

In-game downloads are tricky since maps are a megabyte each, and at 512x512x32bit, even tank skins are a megabyte each. Plus, it raises security issues. Maybe in a patch, but not the initial release, which will have 50 levels and 20 tanks to play with, anyway.

Team flags for clans are a possibility. The server would need the flag entity for that team to be selectable, and the clients would each need it as well to be able to select the flag and see it visible on tanks. People without the entity would see no team flag, and actually would probably see those people listed under "no team" on the scoreboard too... But clan flags should work fine for organized clan battles where everyone can download both flags beforehand.

I'll see what I can do, but at least you can see the available teams on the TAB scoreboard.

I think you're confused about the fonts. You probably noticed the set of .LWO format letters. Those are only used for the game loading and network connecting display, since during those periods the main entity subsystem is flushed of all meshes and graphics, so those 26 .LWO objects are loaded in separately and used to display a nice status font without requiring texturing. All other fonts in the game are one textured quad per glyph, with a common texture bitmap per font, so are about as fast as computerly possible.

------------------
-- Seumas McNally, Lead Programmer, Longbow Digital Arts

IP:

Random Chaos (TC)
posted November 09, 1999 09:00 AM            
Thanks for the quick responce.

I was confused on the fonts, but I have another suggestion comming from someone about the fonts. You need to provide an alternative large type font for everyone running a 320x200 resolution screen.

Dealing with the multicolored lasers, I could send you several colors - just name them. Simple for me to do in about 5 mins per laser color. Just the textures of course.

One change to the strap on ammo that I think would be a good change to the defualt setting is add a normal ammo of 2 to it. Then its not totally useless to someone with no special gun (and no ammo).

As for the "EntityChainMode" I understand what Random does, but what is the command cycle do? Is that the default mode or is it something else. Also, does random only fire 1 of the entities?

As for projectiles - is there any way to launch multiple projectiles at multiple angles. In other words, are you able to stick a normal Projectile call into a non-weapon class entity? And are there any other chaining meathods that alow one to pass on angle? Also, besides the standard Projectile launch and the SmokeEnt, are there any other chaining modes that allow a location offset?

Thanks for the responce,

------------------
Random Chaos
Site admin for http://treadmarks.3d-unlimited.com
Member of Clan Temporal Chaos
randomc@3d-unlimited.com
treadmarks@3d-unlimited.com

IP:

Random Chaos (TC)
posted November 14, 1999 12:32 PM            
Ok - angled launch of projectiles is able to be done using the Projectile tag from other projectiles.

------------------
Random Chaos
Site admin for http://treadmarks.3d-unlimited.com
Member of Clan Temporal Chaos
randomc@3d-unlimited.com
treadmarks@3d-unlimited.com

IP:

LDA Seumas
unregistered
posted November 25, 1999 05:50 AM           
We have changed the SuperAmmo so that it gives the same amount of normal ammo as a standard ammo box as well.

The default Chain mode is neither random nor cycle; the default isn't named. Default mode is the only mode that launches ALL of the listed chained entities. Random and Cycle each only launch one of the entities. Cycle mode keeps a global counter for that Entity Type that specifies which entity in the chain list to launch next; whenever any entity of that Type is created, it increments the global chain counter, and chains that one entity class/type.

I'll see about larger fonts for 320x240, but it may be currently possible to edit the settings in the TankGod/sabot.ent to give larger text on the message bar.

------------------
-- Seumas McNally, Lead Programmer, Longbow Digital Arts

IP: