|
Author Topic:   Potential Infinate Recursion Bug
Random Chaos
posted November 01, 1999 03:11 AM            
The way the DIRS.CFG file is read creates a potential recussion bug.

Just like entities, the dirs.cfg file is searched for recursivly. I do not know if this includes the directories specified in dirs.cfg, but if it does, there is a major potential for recursion. Additionally, I would think there would be no reason for recursive searching for dirs.cfg file at all.

- - - - -

I also figured out the Hashing error I was recieving: It was a result of my text editor doing auto-backups to subdirs of the origial dir that the entity was in on save. It also involved the old dirs.cfg that was backed up by this text editor in a sub dir pointing to another entity dir thus bringing in old modification data.

------------------
Random Chaos
Clan Temporal Chaos
treadmarks.3d-unlimited.com
randomc@3d-unlimited.com

IP:

Random Chaos
posted November 03, 1999 12:36 AM            
Found another potential bug:

Objects (LWO) that don't exist on a client will not show up - correct? This could mean that you could play with invisible tanks!

------------------
Random Chaos
Clan Temporal Chaos
randomc@3d-unlimited.com

IP:

LDA Seumas
unregistered
posted November 03, 1999 01:48 AM           
The dirs.cfg file is only ever read once, and only ever from the directory the game is started from, so there should be no infinite recursion possibilities there.

As to the second question, as far as I can see the worst you could do is make the enemy tanks and/or your tank invisible on your client, which would make the enemy rather hard to hit , but wouldn't affect the enemy seeing or aiming at you. It would be possible to e.g. insert an LWO that was a super tall arrow pointing down so that you could see tanks over hills, but you get a similar effect already from the floating name over the nearest enemy.

------------------
-- Seumas McNally, Lead Programmer, Longbow Digital Arts

IP:

Random Chaos
posted November 03, 1999 02:44 PM            
I know for a fact that TM read 2 dirs.cfg files. One in the start dir and one in the subdirectory $pfeback. Weapons did not completely update and I was getting hash collisions between the meshes. Actually, I am back to getting duplicate hash colisions - its now acting as if its searching each dir twice on all of my servers.

------------------
Random Chaos
Clan Temporal Chaos
randomc@3d-unlimited.com

IP: