|
Author Topic:   Weapon mods
DarkFrog
posted October 31, 1999 08:49 PM            
I've been toying around with the weapons and such, and I was wondering if is possible to have projectiles create projectiles (can anyone say napalm sprays)
that, and how does the laser graphic work, because I want to make a slow moving homing shot with it as a trail (if there were any way for that), anyway, just ideas

IP:

Random Chaos
posted November 01, 1999 02:59 AM            
Yes, both projectiles and explosions can create more projectiles:

entitychain1 = path/name
entitychain2 = path/name
entitychain3 = path/name

Don't know if there is a numerical limit.

Also, if you create new entity names, they will not currently download (correct me if I am wrong LDA) but this will be changed for the final release.

You can make your own meshes and textures for weapons too - but they have to be downloaded in advance. The mesh file is a LWO file that a program such as Imagine can import and export.

LDA: You should add a dialog control on server connect for a "Mod Name" control where unless you own that mod the client will not connect to the server.

Last - be careful if your text editor makes auto-backups of the entities. That can cause LOTS of problems (I found out the hard way). I had duplicate copies of every entity I had modified in a backup subdir of the directory that the file I modified was in - including the DIRS.CFG file. That DIRS.CFG file was actually being read twice since it too does a recursive search for that file! Therefore I had multiple directory trees each with miltiple entity copies being read! I found the DIRS.CFG error when I was loading multiple Mesh files and having hash problems with them. It will execute a search in the dirs specified by the first dirs.cfg file, then read the next dirs.cfg file and do those directories. I can see a potential for infinate recursion here...

------------------
Random Chaos
Clan Temporal Chaos
treadmarks.3d-unlimited.com
randomc@3d-unlimited.com

IP:

Random Chaos
posted November 01, 1999 03:02 AM            
Laser graphic...

Basically the laser is just a spherical ball on the front of the laser beam. The rest is a smoke trail.

The laser can shoot through objects using the HitScan command sequence. I have found that you can create a MOLE weapon that explodes on the far side of the dirt - just set the weapon so it is inactive for detonation for a fairly good length of time relational to the distance that the hitscan goes to.

------------------
Random Chaos
Clan Temporal Chaos
randomc@3d-unlimited.com

IP:

Random Chaos
posted November 01, 1999 03:05 AM            
Refering to modifying the meshes in TM:

One can have fun here making all new weapons, tanks, etc. The only question I have is how is the texture overlayed - it is not the method that most rendering programs use and I am not sure how to create proper textures for weapons that I create for reading into TM.

------------------
Random Chaos
Clan Temporal Chaos
randomc@3d-unlimited.com

IP:

orion
posted November 02, 1999 08:10 PM            
about entity editing... i'm working on a simple entity editor that loads them all when it starts, then allows you to edit it using one program (and not opening/closing/loading/etc from 414134 notepads..).

tell me if anyone is interested! hi random! =)

------------------
-orion

IP:

Random Chaos
posted November 02, 1999 10:20 PM            
Just wait till you see some of the screen shots of the mod I am working on....

Should be up soon - my Zip Drive went dead and all my web page data is on zip disk - hopefully the disk didn't get damaged in the process. If it did - it was just my HTML code - not the images - I have them on my Jaz Drive. I can always download the files from the websites I made to get back the HTML.

- - - - -

Some of the Weapons I will have Screen Shots of:

Plasma Disk Launcher
Double Creator Nuke
Spire Maker
Laser Trench Maker

I have others I don't have screen shots of yet - and in addition, I haven't finished making the Models/Textures so the screen shots I have only have the LDA created weapons.

------------------
Random Chaos
Clan Temporal Chaos
randomc@3d-unlimited.com

IP:

LDA Seumas
unregistered
posted November 03, 1999 02:42 AM           
Actually you should start with EntityChain0. The limit may be 10 or so.

For texturing, each .LWO file has a corresponding .LUV file which holds U/V coordinates for each vertex, and is created by an in-house tool. It will be released along with the map editor.

------------------
-- Seumas McNally, Lead Programmer, Longbow Digital Arts

IP:

DarkFrog
posted November 07, 1999 10:55 PM            
Well, I tried the entity chain thing, and all I can get working is a shot-gun (for some reason all the entities are fired at once when I make a projectile that only contains the class=, the type=, and the enititychain0 and on.)
so how do I do an example of machine guns landing and creating mines?

IP:

Random Chaos (TC)
posted November 08, 1999 01:31 AM            
Example:

Weapon Entity spawns projectile:

class = projectile
type = TDNukeMissile
#name = "Le Bomb Nuclear"
name = "a Nuclear blast"

speed = 50
#meters per second

#power = 100
#hit strength

damage = 1.5
kick = 1

SplashRadius = 100
SplashDamage = 1.5
SplashPush = 60

crater = 60
#meter radius of crater
depth = -15
#meter depth of crater
scorch = 0.2
#percentage to blacken near center. 1.0 is no change, 0.0 is all black.

ExploEnt = projectile/TDNukeMissile2
SmokeEnt = fireball1
#SoundEnt = missile1
SoundEnt = DoomSiren

mesh = weapons/icbm/ICBMHighT.lwo
mesh1 = weapons/icbm/ICBMMedT.lwo
texture = textures/ICBM.bmp
sizebias = -1

SmokeTrailEnt = fractal1
SmokeTrail = 1

guidespeed = 15.0
guidemax = 20.0
guidebias = 2.0
guideramp = 4.0

Gravity = 5

timetolive = 30.0

followground = 1.0
bounce = 1

SmokeTrailOffset = 0, 0, -2.4

Transitory = 0

Detonate = 1

- - - - -

This projectile spawns another projectile on explosion. The projectile is called under the "ExploEnt" command line. The ChainEntity command calls the next entity when it is spawned. You can do the same thing with a smoke trail with the SmokeEnt command.

------------------
Random Chaos
Site admin for http://treadmarks.3d-unlimited.com
Member of Clan Temporal Chaos
randomc@3d-unlimited.com
treadmarks@3d-unlimited.com

IP:

Random Chaos (TC)
posted November 08, 1999 01:53 AM            
Basically the following can be used to make projectiles from projectiles:

EntityChain# - Spawns new entity first entity is spawned.
ExploEnt - Spawns new entity on non-tank hit.
ExploEntit - Spawns new entity on tank hit.
SmokeEnt - Spawns new entity from smoke of launch.
SmokeTrailEnt - Creates a new entity that follows along with projectile, launching multiple times.

Note: One neat trick is to use the following method combo:
SmokeEnt with the SmokeTrailOffset = x,y,z bit set and the SmokeEnt having the "EntityChain#" value set.

Another neate combo is using the
EntityChain# with the EntityChainMode = random setting. It can make for a random projectile launch.

------------------
Random Chaos
Site admin for http://treadmarks.3d-unlimited.com
Member of Clan Temporal Chaos
randomc@3d-unlimited.com
treadmarks@3d-unlimited.com

[This message has been edited by Random Chaos (TC) (edited November 08, 1999).]

IP: