|
Author Topic:   GameSpy
Kaeto
posted October 28, 1999 09:35 PM            
You should make a TM spy so we can see if anyone is playing TM without joining. It would be nice to be able to chat with the people playing, too. let them know your coming.

IP:

Dreamer
posted October 29, 1999 03:45 AM         
Think so, too.
just MHO

------------------
Remember to live your dreams.

IP:

Random Chaos
posted October 29, 1999 12:41 PM            
Let me clarify Kaeto's comments:

When he posted he knew that Game Spy had never responded to your request for how to add compatability for them (I had told him that over ICQ). What he was thinking of - and I can tell that he didn't state it clearly - was if you created your own program similar to Game Spy to find players. Of course, that would mean that there would have to be a central server that keeps track of players on line, but I believe that you should be able to know who is on a server before you join anyway.

Heres an idea of how: Have the server sent the master server the current list of players each time it changes - if contact is lost with the master (the heartbeat) then the data is resent when reestablished and the master removes the list until contact is reestablished. Then the program that you create would only have to query the masters for the list of players - and you could check who is on each server just by checking the master server when you do a "get info on server" status in the "connect to server" screen that I want. Also have a second description, allowed to be much longer than the standard description, posted to the master about the server. This would be visible when in the "get info" and in the remote find player program that is suggested.

Last - how many masters can this program support? If it is limited then there could potentially be problems with game play and too many servers...

------------------
Random Chaos
Clan Temporal Chaos
treadmarks.3d-unlimited.com
randomc@3d-unlimited.com

IP:

Kaeto
posted October 29, 1999 02:33 PM            
TM's multiplayer is based on the servers sending there ip's to a "Master Server". When you click the refresh internet button your computer connects to the "master server" which send you the list of server IP's. Your machine then queries them for info. This could just as easily be done in a little windows app as in TM(right Seumas?) So a spy app should be fairly straightforward.

P.S. Sorry about being incoherent today I'm sick.

IP:

LDA Seumas
unregistered
posted October 29, 1999 07:17 PM           
Right now the Master Server sends all the info you see, except for the ping times. If you hit the Chat! button to enter chat on the Master, then type /s, you'll see a raw dumb of the data it sends.

I'd rather not balloon the data the master stores on each server too much (such as including a list of player names), so as to keep master bandwidth down and the time it takes to refresh servers down. None of that is really an issue unless this thing is stupidly popular once released, but we can hope.

It should be possible to write an external "spy" app... Actually it could even work right now if the spy app was smart enough to read the config file, and write out a new temp config file with the selected server address specified inside the temp config, followed by running the game with that config file on the command line. Erp, except that the default server to connect to is stored in the registry, so the config file would need override registry turned on... But then it could be a really stripped down config with just the connect to server address, so overriding the registry would only change that.

------------------
-- Seumas McNally, Lead Programmer, Longbow Digital Arts

IP:

Kaeto
posted October 30, 1999 12:18 PM            
Nice!

IP: