|
Author Topic:   Nasty Bug
Kaeto
posted October 27, 1999 01:40 PM            
Right now, when an object spawns another object, object 2 is owned bye The World. This STINKS. I tried to make a lightning cannon that left a trail of homing projectiles, but it doesn't work cause the ^&#$&* gun shoots ME!

IP:

Random Chaos
posted October 27, 1999 01:51 PM            
That would be a problem for my "Zapper" weapon I am working on too.

------------------
Random Chaos
Clan Temporal Chaos
treadmarks.3d-unlimited.com

IP:

LDA Seumas
unregistered
posted October 28, 1999 01:14 AM           
Heheheh.

Hmm... It's not a bug, it's a feature.

I'll see what I can do... I'll need to make Projectile entities check for their smoke or smoke trail entities being Projectiles as well, and pass on the tank owner and team id properties.

------------------
-- Seumas McNally, Lead Programmer, Longbow Digital Arts

IP:

Random Chaos
posted October 28, 1999 09:06 AM            
Hmm - "its not a bug, its a feature." You should go work for Microsoft . Thats their standard saying.

------------------
Random Chaos
Clan Temporal Chaos
randomc@3d-unlimited.com

IP:

Kaeto
posted October 28, 1999 07:43 PM            
what about making something to tack onto the line to indicate whom the entity will be onwed by?

IP:

Kaeto
posted October 28, 1999 09:38 PM            
Also, make exploents and explohitents do the check, if you do it the way you were saying.

IP:

Random Chaos
posted October 29, 1999 12:58 PM            
Of course a use of the "smoke --> projectile" feature is a trencher.

The weapon shoots along, droping shells along the way that dig a small hole where ever they hit. Might be neat to see... Would be easier to implement then my tunnelling laser!

Only one qualm: Please make entities that DON'T exist on the client down load. Its really hard to make new weapons when you have to use old weapon templates, even when creating a projectile that calls a projectile. Also make the weapon name download - I want to costom name my weapons.

Is there any way to make a projectile randomly called. I'd like to make a weapon that 50% of the time (randomly) it digs holes and the other 50% it build mounds.

I also have a working "mole" weapon. It turns out that if the weapon is fired outside the ground and uses hit scan, it can be set to explode on the far side of the hill. Can't remember how I did this, but the weapon isn't working right now - seems to have reverted back to the machine gun - I hate the update controls of entities.

Speaking of the update of entities:
Seumas: The duplicate hash of weapons still occures. On my normal server, it gets a couple of re-hashes even though I have no other entity sets in that directory (this is not a major problem). However, the secondary entity files - located in a different directory stucture - have major duplicate hashings - several hundred.
Question 1: Does it also check the path in the registry recursivly for entities?
Question 2: I still have altered weapons that I created, then removed from V2.0 Beta poping up un the map! I changed the Cruise missle to make a short spire and dropped its damage about 3 weeks ago, and changed it back to normal the next day. It still remembers the dirt and low damage version though. This obviously isn't a problem with windows casheing after 3 weeks and more than 15 reboots!

This all seems screwy.

------------------
Random Chaos
Clan Temporal Chaos
randomc@3d-unlimited.com

Ack - spelling is bad - had to fix something to make this readable. Too bad UBB doesn't have a spell checker option. Maybe I'll go post this in the UBB Suggestions forum... http://www.ultimatebb.com/

[This message has been edited by Random Chaos (edited October 29, 1999).]

IP:

LDA Seumas
unregistered
posted October 29, 1999 08:42 PM           
That's odd. Can you search your hard drive for files named "Cruise.ent", and check that none of them for being the "dirt and low damage" version? And if you find one, to note where it is located, and whether there is any chance its location might be in the search path of one of the servers? There really should be no way for that old weapon to show up unless there is a .ENT file with those settings that is within the game's reach. And nothing involving search paths should come out of the registry.

The next test will only search for entities and maps in the specified content directories, and NOT in the "Current Working Directory" for the app, which should fix a few of these issues.

------------------
-- Seumas McNally, Lead Programmer, Longbow Digital Arts

IP: