|
Author Topic:   All general Clan stuff
Dreamer
posted October 27, 1999 12:41 PM         
Maybe there should be some convention concerning how clan names are to be added to the player name...
Maybe even the central server could be abused to store passwords for clan names?
I personally don't want ppl to abuse my clan's name and LDA's server dependency principle would make things like pwds for registered clan names possible, I presume.
What's more, imvho maybe clan affiliation should be possible via some menu. Then again, we'd need some central clan-administering authority to prevent ppl from misusing the clan name server...
Well, what do u guys/girls think? Maybe more suggestions are to come from other sources.

[spekaing of girls: is there any proof of female TM2 players???]

------------------
Remember to live your dreams.

IP:

Random Chaos
posted October 27, 1999 01:30 PM            
Well, hopefully people don't abuse clan names, but a password method could work. I don't want a Clan pulldown list since many clans are self started - and playing on the LAN as a clan never goes through a central server.

General Clan Naming conventions that I have seen include:
[xx]
(xx)
-xx-
{xx}
Unfortunately, the [xx] format doesn't look good in TM due to the name dialoge when talking is surrounded by [name] format.

I've also seen the xCCx format of clan names where the CC is the name acronym rather than the xx as above.

------------------
Random Chaos
Clan Temporal Chaos
treadmarks.3d-unlimited.com

IP:

Kaeto
posted October 27, 1999 01:53 PM            
Personally, I've found that people don't steal your clan logo; they steal your whole name. But even the most hacked game in the universe, Battlezone, has very few people doing this.

IP:

Dreamer
posted October 27, 1999 03:16 PM         
Well, I'd forgotten about the lan thing - my fault.
Another thing might the clan logos - I dunno whether that's gonna be implemented, but TMT21 does _not_ support automatic download of these (for good reason, i think) Thus, a central volunteered non-commercial clan logo store would be the minimum we needed. Maybe some kind of TMT21 clan ring would do the trick, too. Then again, we'd have to think and to create a logo for that...
so much for my 0.02$ of this evening.

------------------
Remember to live your dreams.

IP:

Random Chaos
posted October 27, 1999 07:53 PM            
I wouldn't mind posting clan logos on my site so that other clans can download them. What happens if you are playing with 1 logo but the person you are playing against doesn't have that logo? LDA - Maybe you can answer this.

------------------
Random Chaos
Clan Temporal Chaos
randomc@3d-unlimited.com

IP:

LDA Jim
Administrator
posted October 27, 1999 08:54 PM            
Another player won't see your logo unless they've downloaded it in advance.

The flags are a bit big to download at the start of play, but having custom download sites would be easy.

IP:

LDA Seumas
unregistered
posted October 28, 1999 02:06 AM           
As for a naming convention, how about:

XX][PlayerName

Which, when enclosed in the [] of the chat display, would look like:

[XX][PlayerName]

It might look a little odd in the scores display though. Just an idea.

I think a third party repository for clan logos would be a great idea. One thing is that full blown Clans could actually have customized Team Banners, which would then be selectable from the Team Selector menu; then clan members could still have different insignia flags of their choice. It would mean that all members of a clan would need to download the clan flag before being able to play as a team, but that shouldn't be a big deal.

Note also that team flags and insignia flags are two part affairs; there's the bitmap image, and there's the .ENT file which specifies the type of flag it is, how it looks, and its descriptive name.

The next version of Tread Marks should have a set of initially empty directories for depositing custom add-ons into. If all customized user-created flag entities list the texture bitmap with no leading directory, it should be possible to simply dump a flag's .ENT and .BMP file into the same folder and have things work.

------------------
-- Seumas McNally, Lead Programmer, Longbow Digital Arts

IP:

Random Chaos
posted October 28, 1999 11:29 PM            
I don't think you answered my question. Let me phrase it differently:

If you are using flag A
Someone else in the game does not have flag A

Does:

...that person see a blank flag?
...that person see a default flag?
...that person see no flag?

------------------
Random Chaos
Clan Temporal Chaos
randomc@3d-unlimited.com

IP:

LDA Seumas
unregistered
posted October 29, 1999 06:01 PM           
The person sees no flag, so visually you'll look like an AI tank, except that they'll see your name above your head to know you're a human.

------------------
-- Seumas McNally, Lead Programmer, Longbow Digital Arts

IP: