|
Author Topic:   Vertical Aiming FAQ/Suggestions
Random Chaos
posted October 26, 1999 10:03 AM            
I have noticed a lot of people new to the game in Beta 2.1 commenting on vertical aiming, both on and off this BBS.

I am therefore going to go through all of the reasons why LDA and the majority of the people on this BBS decided that verticle aiming would be a bad idea:

• Due to the third person view, telling where you're aiming is dificult
  • People like it the way it is
  • On a real tank - only the main turret gun has verticle movement - not weapons mounted on their roofs.
  • Many weapons have different base launch angles - how would the verticle aim deal with this? Especially since the angle is a server side variable that can be changed.

Now I know that many people say "but you can't aim" - the general responce is "learn to use the terrain." The problem with this is that the terrain is not viable when shooting at a 90*!

My suggestion for fixing this is the following:

1. Add multi fire option so that the normal turret and the equiped weapon can both be fired at once.
  2. Make the normal turret gun have verticle aim - nothing else though.

By adding the multi fire option, it makes the main gun able to be fired when equiped with a special weapon - why should it not be able to fire? It is always equiped!
By adding the main gun verticle aim feature, none if the add-on weapons are effected adversely. Additionally, the main turret gun on a real tank can aim up or down when anything on the main turret stays still vertically.

--------

P.S. Anyone know how to do Sub/Super-script in UBB?

------------------

--Random Chaos
treadmarks.3d-unlimited.com

IP:

Kirok
unregistered
posted October 26, 1999 12:32 PM           
Fantastic Game, LDA!

I like your idea, RC. Although there's a risk the main gun could become *way* too powerful if so easily aimed. It might have to be toned down (less damage per hit) if vertically aimed.

On another topic, is there any way (plans, etc.) to do multiplayer without UDP? I'm behind a firewall, and would sure like to be able to hose some of you chumps (;-) instead of just the AIs.

Kirok

IP:

Random Chaos
posted October 26, 1999 01:07 PM            
I'm also behind a fire wall, but it doesn't block ports over around 10000. In fact, most firewalls don't. This game uses ports around 12000. You must be incredibly unlucky.

------------------

--Random Chaos

IP:

Kirok
unregistered
posted October 26, 1999 02:54 PM           
Well, all I know is all I get is "server not responding" when I try to connect. Any ideas?

Kirok

IP:

Thor
unregistered
posted October 26, 1999 07:42 PM           
I say just keep aiming the way it is in test 2.1. I've been hit at quite a distance/elevation difference by players with most of the weapons. Besides, changing things require more time and I'd like to play the full version soon!

IP:

Random Chaos
posted October 26, 1999 08:29 PM            
That was most likely one of the members clan I was in - many of us have perfected long range fire.

-----------

Random Chaos
Clan Temporal Chaos

IP:

orion
posted October 26, 1999 11:53 PM            
kirok - most firewalls have a learning feature along with an allow/disallow system which lets you choose which programs can send/receive information. i've played multi on my firewall after setting up such a profile for the TM application... most of the time (if the process is not automated) you have to add a ruleset that allows the treadmarks application to send data. hope it helps, probably not, though..

random, you've become quite popular. =) nice site, although the blue graphics don't really fit the theme of the game. i do lots of web/art work, and i could probably kinda make that a little more... appropiate? no offense =)

------------------
-orion

IP:

Random Chaos
posted October 27, 1999 09:19 AM            
Well, I actually have to redo the graphics anyway - forgot some of the important links I need to put on the side bar . When it comes back up, it will have more appropriate colors - I was just using a color I thought would look good - but it doesn't fit.

------------------
Random Chaos
Clan Temporal Chaos

IP:

Random Chaos
posted October 27, 1999 07:55 PM            
The change of graphics has been implimented now - check out the home page. I will be getting the other pages updated soon. Still have to transfer a lot of data from my original site over to the new site.

------------------
Random Chaos
Clan Temporal Chaos
randomc@3d-unlimited.com

IP:

LDA Seumas
unregistered
posted October 28, 1999 01:47 AM           
The vertical aiming debate is well worn, so I'll leave that for now, suffice to say that we aren't planning on adding it at this point.

There are three reasons I can think of for not being able to fire your main gun while you have a bolt-on weapon. One is to keep controls simple; one button to make the other guy go boom. Do you know, I actually WON Half-Life without realizing that practically every weapon in the game had an alternate fire mode? That really pissed me off. Two, is to keep things a little more even between people who have weapons and people who don't (imagine pelting people with a bolt-on and your main gun simultaneously). Three, is to give people with Nukes and Matter Bombs something to be scared of. <grin> Not being able to otherwise defend yourself while lugging around a nuke makes it possible for people to suicide-rush the nuker and even steal the nuke. To add to that, I've just upped the Nuke and Matter Bomb reload times to 30 seconds, so bastards who get double, triple, or quad nukes using Super Ammo boxes (such as I love to do, heh) will be complete sitting ducks (and very juicy targets) for half a minute after firing each nuke. Note that this doesn't affect how long you can fire a nuke after picking up a single one.

As for firewalls, if you can allow access to UDP ports 12300 through 12399, all aspects of the game should work fine. The game only uses ports within that range, but it does use a varied mix at times.

------------------
-- Seumas McNally, Lead Programmer, Longbow Digital Arts

IP:

Random Chaos
posted October 29, 1999 12:44 PM            
Well, the way arround firing both weapons at once is simple:

Last fired weapon delay:
Whatever the last weapon fired is, that is the delay before the next weapon can fire, even if it is a different type!

------------------
Random Chaos
Clan Temporal Chaos
randomc@3d-unlimited.com

IP:

LDA Seumas
unregistered
posted October 29, 1999 08:10 PM           
The difficulty is that internally, the tank, with its firing delay, and the weapon, with its firing delay, are totally separate, except for the tank passing on the "fire button is pressed/not pressed" state to the bolt-on instead of firing itself if a bolt-on is present.

------------------
-- Seumas McNally, Lead Programmer, Longbow Digital Arts

IP: