|
Author Topic:   Hey! Don't expose yourself in public!
Clam Man
posted October 22, 1999 01:03 AM            
Just had a horrible idea. I'm sure you Longbow developer types had thought of this, but I want to throw it out just in case.

I really hope you guys are encrypting your packets and not exposing the auto-aiming variables in any way. Why? Ever hear of the Quake Zbot? Yuck... talk about ruining a game.

Anyway, just thought I'd mention this before we see people shooting dirtballs and lasers out of their exhaust pipes.

IP:

LDA Seumas
unregistered
posted October 27, 1999 11:28 PM           
That shouldn't be an issue, since you can only ever shoot where your turret or hull is pointing (depending on weapon), and all tank movement is completely simulated on the server, so there is no way, short of a hacked server, to e.g. instantaneously rotate your turret 180 degrees.

The most that could be done would be to run an AI client that pretended to be a human, and it would need to have a LOT of tactical smarts to do better than a good human player. It could assist with aiming a bit, but hitting an opponent is more of a tactical affair than a twitch affair, compared to e.g. Quake.

This is one of the reasons I decided to make the game client dumb and predictive with zero authority. Cheating _should_ be virtually impossible in Tread Marks. The only thing the client sends to the server is raw control inputs.

------------------
-- Seumas McNally, Lead Programmer, Longbow Digital Arts

IP: