|
Author Topic:   100 ping to my own server?
Clam Man
posted October 22, 1999 12:58 AM            
Tried running a dedicated server for a while to see if it would crash etc. I have 386/386 ADSL and I did have a couple of people stop by and play me. Had 2 bots in there for spice. Everything ran fine. At least from my end it did EXEPT I was showing 100ms ping times? On my OWN server?

What's up with that?

I'm not talking about a different machine here. I'm saying I was running the client and dedicated server on the same box (p3/500 128MB ram Win98).

Anyway I find that a little weird.

IP:

sno
unregistered
posted October 22, 1999 02:24 AM           
umm, this seems obvious, but i'll just shutup

IP:

Random Chaos
posted October 22, 1999 02:36 AM            
Yeah - I agree with this problem.

I run the server on my laptop, but play off of my roommates desktop. We're on a 10baseT lan and off of the same hub. We have greater than 100MB/s transfer to the outside world from the network and only the 10baseT limits the local system data transfer rate to a max of about 1MB/s. And I still show between 100 and 150 ping on my own server - yet I often show lower on others - but yet my server plays faster and has less apparent lag than any others I have ever played on.

--Random Chaos

IP:

Kaeto
posted October 23, 1999 12:14 PM            
Well I'm running a dedicated lan server on my 100 mbps lan on a 486 (!) at 10mbps and it runs friggin fast. My pings are 48 or so. actually, raising the max bandwidth on the server and client will HELP pings over a lan.
Set the server and client to 10k a second and your pings will drop.

IP:

LDA Seumas
unregistered
posted October 28, 1999 12:09 AM           
This isn't a problem, really, but a side effect of the way the game's networking works. The pings you see are "realistic pings", in that they are a measure of the time it takes for a packet of information to be sent from one side to the other, processed, and sent back. With a server running at 10 FPS, the reported ping will always be in increments of (roughly) 100ms, and never less than 100ms, since pings are calculated by the server sending a packet to the client that gets echoed back. With a server running at 20 FPS, pings will be in 50ms (or thereabouts) increments, etc.

------------------
-- Seumas McNally, Lead Programmer, Longbow Digital Arts

IP:

Random Chaos
posted October 28, 1999 09:08 AM            
Hmm. So when I get 71 ping to my own server running 10FPS...

Does not seem to work - unless the server/client timings are out of sync.

------------------
Random Chaos
Clan Temporal Chaos
treadmarks.3d-unlimited.com
randomc@3d-unlimited.com

IP:

LDA Seumas
unregistered
posted October 28, 1999 03:07 PM           
You're probably looking at the ping on the Server Listing screen, which is calculated differently. That ping is sent by the client, and the server echoes back. The reason the in-game ping is calculated from the server is so the server can more easily know everybody's ping, and tell everyone about everybody else's ping.

The average ping response time for the server listing screen displaying a 10 FPS server on a LAN should be 50ms. However, a lower than screaming client frame rate could easily push that up to an average of 71ms.

------------------

IP:

Random Chaos
posted October 28, 1999 11:11 PM            
Are you saying that if you connect to the same server using connect lan you gain an extra 50 ping rate over the connect internet version, even if it is serving internet?

------------------
Random Chaos
Clan Temporal Chaos
treadmarks.3d-unlimited.com
randomc@3d-unlimited.com

IP:

LDA Seumas
unregistered
posted October 29, 1999 05:57 PM           
No, locating the server via LAN snoop or via Internet Master Server should make no difference as to ping... Except if the IP addresses are different, and the LAN snoop IP will be a direct route, while the Internet snoop IP will go out to the net. This happens if a server has multiple NICs, with one connecting to the Net and one connecting to you. Then your LAN snoop connection should be faster.

What I meant was, in a nutshell, the ping listed on the server listing screen may be lower than what you see in-game, which I suppose could be a tad misleading. To make the pings identical, an extra step would need to be added either way; either the snooping client would have to say to servers "hey, ping me! then tell me the result", instead of simply pinging them directly, or while in-game the clients would have to ping the server and then send that ping result back to the server for distribution to the other players.

------------------

IP: