|
Author Topic:   improvements & bugs
orion
posted October 16, 1999 06:49 PM            
bugs - when in single player mode, pressing escape brings you to the transparent team/tank select screen and not the main menu..
sometimes when i launch in the air, either from being smashed or smacking face-first in a mountain or jump, i do a figure-eight or looping motion in the sky... i don't know whether the gravity physics get messed up when you soup your tank speed up (which mine is, btw) or if this is some sort of bug, but it kinda defeats the realism of the game (aside from 2ton tanks getting air.. =)

improvements - the default turret turning speed is kinda slow for the mouse.. having it faster would really add to the gameplay
crosshair where the turret is aiming and not in front of it... kinda showing where you're aiming. it's hard to tell when the camera and your tank are all over the place =)

only one complaint.. the transparent menus when you press escape REALLY lag the computer... it's a great idea, and it looks good (except for the impossible task of reading the text...), but it just lags bad..

multiplayer is excellent. just give tread marks time to gain popularity, and it will. sweet game.

------------------
-orion

IP:

LDA Seumas
unregistered
posted October 16, 1999 10:35 PM           
I suppose it might be better to go back to the main menu with Escape in single player. I think I'll also add a "resume game" button to the menus when they're open on top of a running game, which will act like Escape.

What you perceive as a figure 8 looping motion is, I believe, just a trick of the camera angles and the tank's rotation in the air. If you hit the Delete key to get the fixed horizontal ("Boring") camera, you'll probably just see the tank doing an airborn spin.

The default turret rotation speed probably won't be increased, as it's already fairly fast. The trick with the mouse is to use slow and steady motions. Try setting MouseSpeed in the config.cfg down to 0.5 or so if you want easier fine control of the turret, at the expense of having to move the mouse a little faster to turn a long ways.

You can make the transparent menus a LOT faster by disabling Menu Fire in the Options menu. That will turn off the fiery particle background, which can be rather slow on some systems.

------------------
-- Seumas McNally, Lead Programmer, Longbow Digital Arts

IP:

sno
unregistered
posted October 16, 1999 11:44 PM           
here is an odd bug with the mouse control

when i move it slow

the turret turns fast

when i move the mouse fast

the turret turns slow

shouldnt' be the other way around?

IP:

orion
posted October 17, 1999 03:44 AM            
i suppose the camera (jazz?) could be the reason... i surely will try it with the fixed camera on to see if that's the problem.
my computer is a 450mhz 128mb box with a tnt 16MB video card. all should be well.. but i was talking about when you're INGAME, and you press escape, the menu comes up normally, but, it is transparent. on my machine, that greatly reduces the framerate and lags badly. however, my computer has been having some bad hair days recently...

what about the crosshair idea? any thoughts?
also, i can't wait to start developing MODs and terrain/weapon additions/changes (moreso; i've already done quite a bit of editing), so are you going to release some info on how? the mod section of treadmarks.com isn't up yet, so i was jost wondering...

------------------
-orion

IP:

sno
unregistered
posted October 17, 1999 04:39 AM           
no one wants a crosshair,

and i know why

they say it would be difficult to program a crosshair that was useful, and it would kinda be cheap anyway,

IP:

LDA Seumas
unregistered
posted October 17, 1999 05:09 AM           
The menus run fine by themselves because that's all that's being rendered; the game also runs fine by itself because it's all that's being rendered. Put them together, and things can slow down a bit. If you turn off the Menu Fire, it should run _much_ faster when the menus are open on top of the game. The Menu Fire is basically doing what the Particle Fire screen saver does, to a 256x256 (or 128x128 if you have your texture size turned down) block of memory, then downloading it to the card 20 times per second. And if I recall, the TNT isn't one of the fastest cards for large dynamic texture re-downloads.

Hmm, because of that, perhaps I'll disable the Menu Fire temporarily if the game is running underneath it.

As for mods, there will be basic docs available once the game is complete. Realistically, there will probably be limitations on the mods and add ons that can be made for the final free demo version, but there won't be limits on what can be done for the full purchased version (except as far as selling them without our approval goes).

------------------

IP:

Random Chaos
posted October 17, 1999 12:41 PM            
Cross hairs are reletively useless in this game. Each weapon can have the following set by the server:

Launch angle
Reletive launch location
Launch speed
Spiral
Gravity effect
Bounce
Ground follow

By changing theses all, how does one create a usefull cross hair? The MRL fires very differently from the plasma mine which fires very differently from the avenger. Also, you have to take into account that the camera veiw is not first person combined with the camera veiw having the ability to change angles depending on the slope...makes having any targeting display rather difficult to use.

--Random Chaos

IP:

sno
unregistered
posted October 17, 1999 08:42 PM           
making a useful cross hair,

would mean doing a seperate one for each weapon, i doubt the programmers will be willing to do that

IP:

Random Chaos
posted October 17, 1999 10:27 PM            
Not only that, but since all weapons are costomizable, it would mean that anyone editing the entities (which are just text files) has to also set info on cross hair position.

IP:

orion
posted October 17, 1999 11:40 PM            
alright already =)

think of first-person shooters: there is a crosshair in the front/middle of the screen. that's where the person is aiming. some weapons shoot strange (gernades bounce, some mines have to be places on walls, etc), but the crosshair is still there. all i was suggesting was a crosshair that was from the turret's POV. where it is aimed, the crosshair is. i realize that this could be difficult since the tank actually MOVES and is not stationary as in first-person shooters, but i've seen a following-camera type of shooter in which a crosshair is used and is shown where the weapon is aimed. i understand the weapons are customizable, i just want to be more certain as to where i am shooting. maybe i need more practice =)

IP:

orion
posted October 18, 1999 12:21 AM            
other things that came to mind: if the deathblow sent you flying, then when re-spawned, you're still flying...

ex: i was hit by a matter bomb and it killed me. my tank was dead there, but, the camera went back and back further as if my tank was there. in understand the concept of that and that's not my complaint... it's when my tank was re-spawned, i was still moving in that direction with some fairly high momentum. this kinda is comparable to the turret resetting... i'd like to be killed, then re-spawn like when i was first spawned; turret ahead of me, no momentum, default ammo. 2/3 isn't bad...

also, when terrain is removed from underneath trees, they remain on where they were... even if no terrain is underneath them. i've had floating trees before =)

------------------
-orion

IP:

Random Chaos
posted October 18, 1999 12:22 AM            
Posibility: laser targeting system. Have it a client side option only visible to the client. Where the turret is pointing, a laser line (thin, easy to see) is placed accross the screen and ends at the intersection of the first object. This would give an idea of what the aim is.

IP:

orion
posted October 18, 1999 12:34 AM            
nice idea, random...

also forgot to mention in my previous post that i've added my own tank and weapons using the cruise and tank17 models. can't wait till we can make our own somehow... pretty much just messed with the properties and colors of tanks and made new files for them. i have about 5 different tanks now, and about 3 or so different weapons ranging from cruise missle/nuke combos to some really nifty rocket launchers...

good engine!

IP:

Random Chaos
posted October 18, 1999 12:38 AM            
I also have some neat weapons. They are an EMP/Concussion Bomb, a Spire Maker, a Mole (from Scorched Earth), and several other weapons.

Check it out on my Chaos Server - RC's Chaos Server.

IP:

LDA Seumas
unregistered
posted October 18, 1999 01:56 PM           
The flying through the air after re-spawn thing is sort of a "feature". Basically, you inherit whatever velocity your "ghost" had when you press fire to re-spawn. That means if you want to, you can get your ghost up to a bit of speed before re-spawning if you want to get off to a running start.

Floating trees _shouldn't_ happen, but some times it does. I'm not sure why.

The Mass Driver will have a laser sight. It's basically a hull-mounted Railgun.

------------------

IP:

orion
posted October 19, 1999 08:51 AM            
perhaps when the ground underneath a tree is removed, the tree should explode...

------------------
-orion

IP:

Random Chaos
posted October 19, 1999 09:36 AM            
The usual weapon that causes floating trees is the ramdrill. Might want to check this out specifically as to why.

IP:

sno
unregistered
posted October 20, 1999 06:48 PM           
when i do stuff like that, the tree sinks into the ground

pretty cool effect

IP: