This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2  |
Author Topic:   All Related Game Suggestions and Comments
mars
posted October 15, 1999 05:31 PM            
Hi,
It's great! I noticed the fix in the server console 'minization'(although easy). First off, I'm not sure if this is implemented or needs tweeking. When a game for teams is started, it seems for the most part that people are randomly put on teams which is good. However, this can cause a huge team and tiny team if no range in the difference is set...so like team red can only have say 2 or 3 max less than team blue, causing the next player to be automattically put on team red. I mentioned this cause I came accross a game with like 7 people(including comp.) vs. one comp.?????? - that poor al! It's just not fair! - hehehe
About those weapons issues, I think a good point was made that the weapons should be only what you pick up so you have to use some stragedy...causing the game to stay interesting and not get boring! However, looking at this issue in a 'business' aspect, I would highly suggest implementing both ways in the final with an option somewhere to choose before the server makes the game.
For the race mode, also you should implement two things: KPH and MPH. If your going to have the game sell with racing involved, and want the U.S. as a big customer, than an option for the client side setup where the person can choose to view either or might be a good idea since KPH is not acceepted yet in the U.S. example of a game to do that in racing was Need For Speed 2 and an old super nintendo one I can't remember.
Joypad(2-4 button)/joystick control is another idea if not already implemented. Maybe even one of those steering wheel + pedals setup thingies in stores. The mouse on the turret is a really good idea. Maybe lots of 'shortcut' keys on the keyboard.
Maybe strategy involved in racing like if you win a race in a place you can 'upgrade' your tank?
Maybe 2 player cooperative racing where the team needs to place in like the top 10 to make next race...aka, one of the 2 players on the team need to make a place in top ten.
And my final brainstorm for the day goes like this: you have racing and deathmatch. How about scenarios or campaigns like where tanks go throught cool terrain like citys and have to like destroy a terarist in a big building like the empire state building...how cool would it be seeing that blow up! Umm, anyway, or like a senerio in World War 2 on one of the sides like US, Germany, Japan, Russia, or England. Or a timed scenario where you have to drive through a town whacking all the bad guys seen without hitting the civilians...hehe, very hard.
That's all of my suggestions for the day!
-MARS

P.S. Please feel free to laugh at them but don't send your laughs, remarks, or snide comments on the bulletin board.
P.P.S. Now that the server console is minamizable, I will be running a 24/7 server (Planet Mars) at 15fps on a T3 with teams, 2 bots, cycling maps, and 32 max people.

IP:

Thor
unregistered
posted October 15, 1999 06:07 PM           
I have only one suggestion:

add a weapon ready indicator so you know when the weapon is ready to fire (instead of pounding on the fire button until you fire).

IP:

mars
posted October 15, 1999 08:52 PM            
I think the weapon indicator is a good idea but also what about things like machine guns? Do they need an indicator?

IP:

LDA Seumas
unregistered
posted October 15, 1999 09:41 PM           
mars,

Thanks for the comments!

Right now, people are only auto-joined to one of the available teams, though bots are spread around evenly if no Bot Team is specified. I'll make it so you're joined to either a random team or the team with less players.

Okay, fine, I'll put an MPH/KPH switch on the todo list... But KPH is bigger numbers! Do americans really get pissed off by KPH in games?

Joystick control is in. I haven't tried it yet, but it should work well in combo with the mouse if you don't have twist in your stick.

Complex single player missions would be cool, but it's not the direction we want to take the game. Tread Marks is more of a "jump in and play for a bit" sort of game. One of the possible next games is a helicopter/hover ship game with the Tread Marks engine that would have "missions".

Btw, thanks for running a Team server! I'll have to try it tonight.

Thor,

Interesting idea... It would only really help for the Plasma Gun, and the Dirt Ball to a lesser extent. One solution might be just to add a reload sound for the Plasma and Dirt Ball.

------------------
-- Seumas McNally, Lead Programmer, Longbow Digital Arts

IP:

mars
posted October 15, 1999 10:59 PM            
Actually, I didn't mean to get anyone pissed off or hit any sharp nerves but I was just was suggesting. The US as a whole really haven't adopted the metric system...actually, not at all but trying. For instance there has been certain organizational flaws and it came down to someone doing something in meters and another in feet to mess things copletely up! - hehe. Anyhow, I could care less since I am a double major: Computer Science and Electrical Engineering. And I use meters all the time! But I was just giving you a 'business' suggestion.
And I think joypad control would be so cool! Once it's tweeked.
And another suggestion for today would be a 'futuristic' weapon or near future at least...like say a fusion bomb/missile or like an acid 'hose'.
And should the water cause slight tank damage? But also should it permanently stop flames till' like next hit?
-MARS

IP:

sno
unregistered
posted October 15, 1999 11:23 PM           
and acid spray weapon?, kick ass idea

IP:

Random Chaos
posted October 16, 1999 05:12 AM            
I want units of speed in Fathoms/Meter (reletivity with time convertable to distance) .

Actually, MPH isn't nessasary - that is the type of reason that the Mars Observer crashed into Mars a few weeks ago - it was given a mass by Lockeed-Martin in Ft-Pbs (who uses that any more!?!?) and NASA thought it was all in the standardized SI system of Nuetons (who didn't check!?!?).

IP:

mars
posted October 16, 1999 12:18 PM            
Yea, that accident is one good example of the SI system not being unitely accepted in the US. Anyhow, Random Chaos, it was a BUSINESS idea. Another words, if people in the US have no idea how fast they are going in the race they might not have as much fun yet if they don't care about the unit the speed is in they might 'think' they are going faster. But if you have an option in the game for both, you wouldn't be taken ANY chances at either side now would you? - ppl who like KPH choose it vice versa. It really was a foolish thing I started I guess...but don't forget ppl that it was a suggestion and not all suggestions are good. Further more, when I say a business suggestion...try to picture sales and things ppl would look at in terms of buying and having fun.

Anyway, yea I think the acid spray/hose is a great futuristic idea! It should work like this: the guy you hose with it is constantly loosing life yet he can use the repair stuff and also make it like the water slows down the energy loss.
And were you going to do weather in the game? Hail would be so cool falling all over the tanks causing damage!
If someone runs over someone else's tank will it cause the tank damage? if not, thats an idea.
And how about a little red button with a latch? aka...kamakazy, like if there a lot of tanks around you and your hurting then you can blow yourself and them up! - hehehe
-MARS

IP:

sno
unregistered
posted October 16, 1999 05:45 PM           
that would have to be one bad ass hail storm to damage a tank

IP:

sno
unregistered
posted October 16, 1999 05:48 PM           
get a nuke, use the nuke

being able to nuke your self at any point tho, would be cheap and abused by the gamers

collsion damage would be nice, giving ammo'less people a fighting chance

AND A WEAPON DROP FEATURE!!

heck it would even be useful in teamplay, help out a damaged teammate, by given em your fully loaded avenger cannon

IP:

mars
posted October 16, 1999 06:31 PM            
Ok, I like that Sno. A dropped weapon to help out a teammate who is weaponless in the line of fire.
The hail storm was like a weather idea and obviously bad if used in a map like the two being played...it was an idea to be held in like an area that is roofed or something and if the tank goes out of the 'roofed' area they loose energy. Or weather is random and once in a blue moon you have a hail storm that is strong enough to be damaging. Hell, maybe even rust effects of rain and going in the lake...but no energy loss, just the idea of 'seeing' the rust on the tanks or the rust accumulating.
-MARS

IP:

orion
posted October 16, 1999 06:57 PM            
don't get so carried away. maybe we can have the water affected by the lunar tides, and the higher the tide, the more water there is and tanks drown! how bout the water does erosion on the cliffs and tanks that fall in the water can get buried by the erosion! what about once in a while a great big meteor just smashes down and kills everything? just suggestions.. of course...
<snicker>

IP:

sno
unregistered
posted October 16, 1999 07:54 PM           
*sno grabs a hypo, and sedates orion, then drags the limp, nearly dead body into the closet*

there, you were saying?

IP:

Random Chaos
posted October 17, 1999 12:24 PM            
I think that a Kamakazi tank should be allowed, however, it should take a weapon to become Kamakazi. A Kamakazi weapon - that can already be made - just make the plama mine explode immediatly.

IP:

mars
posted October 17, 1999 01:37 PM            
What if the tanks were made a little closer to real ones and once and a while like gasoline was needed! You would go finding a gas thingy like the weapons and refill otherwise you become a sitting duck for everyone! hehe
Plus if sno's drop weapon was added, then your teammate could virtually 'fill' you up with gas and your on the road again!
just a suggestion.
-MARS

IP:

sno
unregistered
posted October 17, 1999 02:22 PM           
if you make us hunt for some damned little gas canisters, i'll hunt all of you down

and to the kamikazi thingy, just launch a nuke a point blank range

IP:

mars
posted October 17, 1999 05:45 PM            
I have another idea, depending on the map/level, there should be cool circulur or something spots on the map where one can 'warp' to another spot and bust some .... on the other tanks!

------------------
-MARS

-------------------------

-When everything else has failed, send in the tanks!

IP:

mars
posted October 17, 1999 05:59 PM            
On another note, we should try spread differences out in the servers that have been up. I mean, it might show better results in testing and in fun if EVERY server had some significant difference and I'm not talking hardware - that already holds true. I mean, 1 team server, 1 ffa server, 1 race server, 1 team race(if possible), maybe some creativity involved in some, etc. I really don't know...but it was a random thought I had to get rid of!

IP:

Dave
unregistered
posted October 17, 1999 06:29 PM           
As for the MPH/KPH issue, most racing games include an option to display the speed either in MPH or KPH. In the United States, everything's in MPH. Speed Limit signs, speedometers in cars, etc. Most people in the USA think in MPH, because that's what they grew up with. I can sort of do a conversion in my head (like 150 KPH is somewhere around 100 MPH), but I have a much better "feel" for how fast I'm going if I can see my speed in MPH. I can't imagine it being all that much trouble to add an option to display either system.
For the record, 1 KPH ~= .621 MPH

Oh, and explosions seem to slow it down a bit (actually, a lot). I have a PIII-500 and a Voodoo3 3000 and 128 MB RAM, and driving around is fine, but when someone fires a nuke or matter bomb, or if there's just a lot of explosions on the screen, it really bogs the game down. I'm not sure if it's a driver or hardware thing, but I saw a similar comment from another Voodoo3 owner, so that's why I mentioned it.

P.S. GLSetup says it doesn't have drivers for my card, but Q3Test and TreadMarks both run fine (besides the slow explosions, of course). I don't know if this is related to slowdown during the game or not.

IP:

mars
posted October 17, 1999 08:11 PM            
I'm glad someone recognized the MPH thingy.
As for the slow GL problems, try GLDirect at http://www.schitechsoft.com/ oddly, their drivers seem to work really good and give extreme framerates...depending on your card of course. However, it seems to make any card look better then it really is in terms of speed(but you need to install DirectX 7 for the performance!).
Oh, and I think Random Chaos has a good idea with this clan thingy. Like we have a nice little beta testing group going on and we could do something with it I guess. Unless I got the wrong idea, I think the clan idea was leading to people playing against certain other people and at certain times?
-MARS

P.S. I want my fusion missile! Specs: 2x the damage of a nuke and 1.25x the radius of the range of a nuke!

------------------

When everything else has failed, send in the tanks!

IP:

LDA Seumas
unregistered
posted October 18, 1999 12:47 PM           
Okay, okay, I'll add an MPH toggle.

Explosions do slow the game down a bit, but it shouldn't be too drastic unless a fire storm happens right in your face. Running at 640x480 or even 512x384 might help.

------------------
-- Seumas McNally, Lead Programmer, Longbow Digital Arts

IP:

mars
posted October 18, 1999 07:02 PM            
YES! - MPH, just kidden, hehe. I still want my futuristic weapons! Future weapons: fusion bomb/missile and acid hose down. Others I didn't mention could be: electric storm(you get to launch something over a tank that acts like a 'cloud', negatively charged and sending lightning down on the tank!); satalite lazer(tank gets a switch thingy giving the tank acces to a satalite in space that they use to lock on another tank and send a huge lazer beam down at the tank!) for now. And I thought up some defense things(futuristic): a forcefield for tank(it slowly dies out so player is not immune all the time); and a intercept missile system(for like missle and fission/fussion attacks, it will automatically go out and destroy the weapon homing in on tank, only one of these per pick up!). Thats all for now folks!
-MARS

------------------

When everything else has failed, send in the tanks!

IP:

sno
unregistered
posted October 18, 1999 09:58 PM           
what exactly would the fusion bomb doo?

this game doesnt really need three variations on the nukes

IP:

sno
unregistered
posted October 18, 1999 10:00 PM           
the ever love sat strike would be nice,

(i invision a small radar like bolt~on, and a laser strike, on the nearest enemy, large damage, but never missing)

IP:

sno
unregistered
posted October 18, 1999 10:02 PM           
the anti missle system is an interesting idea, but would become rather annoying(and seemingly useless, due to low spawn rates on missles)

and the shield would really sorta be more of an annoyance than anything else

bringing much unbalence to play

*THESE ARE MY OPINIONS*

IP:

This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2