|
Author Topic:   Test 2.1 is out!
LDA Seumas
unregistered
posted October 13, 1999 09:49 PM           
You probably want to upgrade if you're running a server, or playing single player or on-line, as there are a number of nice new features and fixes for the server and the client. Mouse control, floating names, chat identifier, team play (bots vs. humans and mixed teams), super-ammo power up, more insignias, team flags, bot names, HTML docs, etc.

------------------
-- Seumas McNally, Lead Programmer, Longbow Digital Arts

IP:

Random Chaos
posted October 13, 1999 10:42 PM            
The extra ammo container also gives +N ammo where N is the default ammo every time you pick it up -- theoretically you can have 10 nukes on a server with a default of 1!

IP:

Anthrage
posted October 13, 1999 11:02 PM            
I justed patched and received an error, indicating that the dedicated.cfg file was an invalid version and could not be patched. Anyone else experience this? Any ideas?

I'm just going to re-install and repatch but thought I'd mention it.

Anthrage

------------------

IP:

Random Chaos
posted October 14, 1999 12:11 AM            
Yeah - if you made any changes to the file - even changed the server name - it won't install. To solve this, reinstall the 2.0 version and then use the patch on it.

IP:

Random Chaos
posted October 14, 1999 12:12 AM            
Now that team mode is implemented, you need a team chat dialogue.

IP:

Random Chaos
posted October 14, 1999 12:56 AM            
Error msg "Could not find Entity with Hash 0" when using Death Wish.

It isn't fatal but it does post this error on the server - thought you should know.

IP:

SNO IS MAD
unregistered
posted October 14, 1999 02:26 AM           
IT DOESNT WORK, WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

hrrmmmppphhhh

IP:

SNO GOT IT WORKING!!!!!!!
unregistered
posted October 14, 1999 02:43 AM           
, alright great improvements, none of the "little annoyances" where still there, but the turret control seems touchy, and

where is the dropweapon feature?

IP:

Random Chaos
posted October 14, 1999 03:36 PM            
Needed for teamplay:
Switchable tracking between nearest enemy and nearest teammate. It hard to coordinate strategy when the teams can't find their members.

GREAT TEAMPLAY though

IP:

LDA Seumas
unregistered
posted October 15, 1999 07:14 PM           
Right, the way the patch works, it needs the exact files from the earlier version to patch, so if you've modified anything, you'll need to back them up, reinstall the old version, patch, and re-copy any backed up changed files.

Random,

Erk! Team chat. Forgot about that. Thanks! <sheepish grin>

Not sure why it would give that error when blowing yourself up... Though the "death wish" it's referring to may be when changing either tank types or team flags on the fly, which I can see possibly causing a non-fatal warning like that.

Sno,

Out of curiosity, what was the problem at first? Was it the patch thing?

For turret mouse control, move the mouse slow and steady. Moving the mouse fast won't help, as the turret can only turn so fast. Edit the MouseSpeed = line in the config.cfg to change the mouse sensetivity, with the default being 1.0.

Drop weapon, well, I still like the idea of not being able to drop weapons...

Random,

You can see your team mates within 300 meters as green dots on the radar. I'm not sure how a team finder would be best to implement... Any ideas?

Also, a clarification on team play: Even with team play off on the server, anyone can join a team, and if team damage is off, anyone also on that team will be un-killable. The only real difference with turning team play ON on the server is that team scores are displayed instead of individual scores, and everyone is forced to join a team of some type.

------------------

IP:

sno
unregistered
posted October 15, 1999 07:37 PM           
no, the pointy arrow thing

give us an option to make it able to point to nearest enemy or nearest teammate

IP:

Random Chaos
posted October 16, 1999 05:07 AM            
The reason for a arrow to closest teammate is so to allow teams to group, then go hunt the enemy as a unit.

IP:

Anthrage
posted October 16, 1999 05:08 AM            
Not sure if you have thought of this or not, as we don't have a complete list of the weapons etc. that will be in the final release, but now that Teamplay is in, how about a 'repair' bolt-on.

This would be a device, that could be used by a player to repair the tanks of others on his team. It would be very useful, and since he could not use a weapon while acting as the team's repairman, he would make a very tempting target for the enemy team.

Some contact device, similar to the ramdrill would be great, for doing repairs.

I noticed today that fire goes out momentarily when passing through water - is this new, or did I just not notice it before?

Anthrage
--------
"Seeing is believing."

IP:

Dreamer
posted October 16, 1999 06:47 AM         
Great thing, that v2.1!
Noticed you made, as I suggested, water extinguish burning tanks, even if only temporarily... Thanks for listening to ppl.
I too think teamplay needs some improvement. maybe add an arrow to the map that points to the nearest teammate and have the old arrow (the one hovering over the tank itself point towards the nearest enemy? Might help.
As for grouping and hunting via the arrow system: what about a situation when you cannot see ANY enamy on your map? what if noone can?

------------------
Remember to live your dreams.

IP:

sno
unregistered
posted October 16, 1999 05:41 PM           
what are you talking about?

WE'RE NOT TALKING ABOUT THE MINI-MAP

WE'RE TALKING ABOUT THE ARROW!!!!

a repair bold on?, you mean being able to repair teammates

what if the ramdrill did that,
i mean fix up team mates

but slowly of course

IP:

LDA Seumas
unregistered
posted October 16, 1999 10:24 PM           
Okay sno, keep your cool.

After playing team play for about 7 hours last night, I can definitely see the necessity of a way to find team mates. I think a problem that goes hand in hand with finding out where team mates are is finding out who they are, so what I'll do is simply add a second floating tank name in team play which will be above the nearest team member. I'll color the name green, and perhaps switch the enemy tank name color to red, to match the mini-map. This way by scanning your view around, you'll be able to see both the name and direction of the nearest team mate and the nearest enemy.

------------------

IP:

sno
unregistered
posted October 16, 1999 10:28 PM           
*sno has lost his mind, an unstoppable rant will soon come*

ARRRGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IP: