|
Author Topic:   Suggestion
Random Chaos
posted October 09, 1999 12:16 PM            
On the Description for multiplayer servers:

Make the number of characters much longer with several lines. The space provided is far to small for a description that says anything about the server.

For chat messages:

Implement Word Wraping, not character wraping. It get pretty hard to read somthing that is written like thi
s

IP:

LDA Seumas
unregistered
posted October 09, 1999 12:46 PM           
I might try sending more data about the server as binary, and displaying it in a specific spot, such as the FPS, the bot count, and the number of maps being cycled or picked randomly, which would give more space to describe real customizations.

------------------
-- Seumas McNally, Lead Programmer, Longbow Digital Arts

IP:

Random Chaos
posted October 09, 1999 01:40 PM            
Yet another set of ideas:

1: A center screen zoom feature, similar to that in Mech Warrior. It would make long range aiming a bit more fun. Might not work well given the gravity factor though -- not shooting where you are looking.

2: Also, what about yet another camera veiw mode: 3rd person. Basically take the normal camera and give the player the ability to place the camera view point, zoom, and angle. Then also tell us how to set it up so we can bing a key to automatically take us to a particualar veiw angle. I know there are time when I want to look behind me and the only way is to spin the turret which takes time and means I can't fire forward until I bring it back.

3: Another idea is speed set. In addition to the up/down arrow direction speeds, what about having several preset velocities (slow backwards, stop, slow forwards, med forwards, fast forwards) as the "base" speed that is returned to when the arrow keys aren't being used. This would allow a player to pay more attention to the turret spinning and less to their velocity.

4: A mini view (toggleable in the lower right corner) looking forward whenever you are in a view other than your tank view (such as turret view). Its hard to stear when you can't see where you're goind.

5: What about a topographic display on the radar?

6: Lastly, I never heard what the responce was to the post someone made about a compass. I think there should either be a compass or a arrow pointing to the map center. Might be easiest is you just make the "nearest enemy" arrow switchable as to where it points and change its color depending on the method of pointing.

--Random Chaos

P.S. I don't expect most of the ideas I have been spewing out to be implemented, I just believe that the more people coming up with ideas, the more great things will be incorperated into the game. Brain storming takes a lot of people

I also feel that if someone gives a suggestion that they should give an idea about how it should be implemented lest when they see it it is not what they expected.

IP:

Moriarty
posted October 09, 1999 03:17 PM            
I think the main idea is still to keep controls as simple as possible. The 3rd person view is somehow quite opposite to that, bringing your total z-axis rotation possibilities to three (direction of travel, direction of turret aim, viewpoint). The mini-view would also probably decrease overall performance quite a bit (like, double the cpu time used for calculating the 3d view).
the topographic view in the radar sounds just perfect to me. would somehow eliminate the need for a forward-mini-view too. (also, it will bring up even more memories of good ol' "comanche" )
I think that maybe there should be a way to look straight back. after all, in a real tank, this is perfectly possible. maybe a key to switch between "hull view - forward" and "hull view - backward" ? pageup and pagedown sound perfect for this

------------------
I'm on AOL - not everything that comes from a bad place is necessarily evil

IP:

Random Chaos
posted October 09, 1999 03:57 PM            
yeah -- hull view forward/backward would work.

IP:

LDA Seumas
unregistered
posted October 11, 1999 04:21 AM           
A compass is in, but I have to tweak it a bit more yet (it's a bit ugly right now).

I like the idea of a rear view, and will add a key for that.

A topographical map might just be possible... But with the scale of the mini-map, the terrain texels would be squished a bit, and might alias since there's no mip-mapping on the terrain textures.

------------------

IP:

Random Chaos
posted October 13, 1999 11:46 AM            
Ok, 3 things I would like you to add:

1: Make the sort by ping for connecting to a server only sort when you say "refresh." I can see a potential problem when there are a LOT of servers up and every time you got to click on a server, you get a different one then you want -- and the one you want has scrolled off the page.

2: Add the ability to sort by server name and IP too.

3: Add the capability of puting a password on a dedicated server. I can see potential times when this is needed - such as testing so weapon mods but you don't want someone else to join in. Or if Clans develop for this game, a clan try out or tournament game that no one but those invited are to play on.

--Random Chaos

IP:

LDA Seumas
unregistered
posted October 13, 1999 08:56 PM           
It does only sort while refreshing, but it sends 10 pings to each server, and while those pings are changing it'll be resorting.

You can sort by name etc. already, just click the heading you want to sort by. The new default is to sort by number of players.

Private servers can be had by turning off SendHeartbeats (set it to 0) in the server's config; then it won't show up on the master, but people can connect if they type in the address directly.

------------------

IP:

Kaylast
unregistered
posted October 14, 1999 06:57 PM           
I thought of this the first time i played the game, and the 1000th time i rolled of a cliff into the water, its an emergency break just something that slows you down 2 to 3x faster , but I would like it with a handicap on it , like it takes 10% of your current health everytime you use it down to 10% of health once your below that is taskes nothing from you. this way the healthy will stay away from useing it and the burning wrecks running from them can execute very tight and rapid turns and have a lil more of a chance,

this is just a featue that a newbie like myself to the game would find usefull, after playing for a while i figured out where the cliffs were,,

o and this game works ok at 900+ pings too, once you get used to it.
but dont expect me to stop bitching about during the game.

IP:

sno
unregistered
posted October 14, 1999 10:59 PM           
that's pretty lame

here's an idea,

avoid careening around the map, and stay away from the cliffs

this game is just fine the way it is, it takes some adjusting, but it's just fine

all i want, IS A STUPID FACKN~ WEAPON DROP!!!!!!!!!

(oh my god, THEY'RE MULTIPLYING!!!!!)

IP:

sno
unregistered
posted October 14, 1999 11:33 PM           
woah, i just realized i proly came across as a raging idiot in that last post

IP:

Anthrage
posted October 15, 1999 12:43 AM            
Actually, the 'emergency break' suggestion is not lame, and in fact is a good idea, one which shows someone putting some thought into what they said. The removal of some health is a very insightful aspect.

Suggesting it is lame is indeed raging idiocy, but I think we're all used to that by now so don't feel bad. No-one will hold saying something unkind to someone new to the game and board against you, we all know you pretty well by now.

Anthrage
--------
"Seeing is believing".

IP:

Random Chaos
posted October 15, 1999 01:04 AM            
Yes, I agree with Anthrage that that is a good idea. Its the type of idea that we need more of on this board - ones with thought put into them rather than the "I just thought of an idea, let me post it so every one can see how little thought I put into it" syndrome that seems to propogate so readily through this message board.

(Please excuse the lenght of that last scentence )

I agree that if such a "emergency break" exists that it needs to have some penalty. I would propose making it one of those "power ups" that is not yet implemented, but the remove health idea is also a good alternative.

--Random Chaos

IP:

LDA Jim
Administrator
posted October 15, 1999 03:15 AM            
We pay very close attention to all the postings, and prefer that things remain civil.

It is easier for us to see a point-of-view when an explanation for that view is given.

Although we don’t ignore any suggestions, design decisions often represent tough compromises. We often disagree among ourselves here at LDA, and we’re all family 

With limited weapons aiming you have to pay closer attention to the landscape elevation. We think this is a strong feature of the game but we are considering some degree of auto-elevation adjustment for the main gun.

We also like it that most of the weapons require multiple hits to kill…Stronger weapons tend to have slower reload times, or are hull mounted like the Avenger. These slower kills allow for some interesting see-saw battles. …and who hasn’t spotted a pair of tanks duking it out, and gone running over like a vulture to take advantage of those weakened tanks.

We like not being able to switch between weapons or to drop them. It forces you to think carefully about the weapon you’re carrying. The nuke has that as an Achilles heal. If someone is carrying a nuke you can force their hand by moving in close….and they can’t run around with that nuke forever, ‘cause who knows…a cruise missile could suddenly kill them out of the blue.

The new super-ammo box can really “charge up” a bolt on weapon….but it’ll take that much longer to unload it if you suddenly spot a nuke or cruise missile that you’d rather pick up.

All in all, it’s a bit like rock-scissors-paper to design various weapons and features into the game.

Btw…we’ll take a close look at the break idea. We’re also looking at some sort of “turbo acceleration” power-up. Plus, other features, even those I've said that we like, may still be tweaked

Jim

IP: