|
Author Topic:   Server Notes
Random Chaos
posted October 09, 1999 03:03 AM            
I was in a game with Longbow tonight and I asked a few server side questions -- here they are with responces:

Can one computer run multiple dedicated servers?
Yes, heres how:
-Make duplicate config files named dedicated.cfg, dedicated1.cfg, dedicated2.cfg, etc.
-In each subsequent config change the Port number so that there are no 2 ports in common between any of the files. This is as in aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd:portnumber
-To run, use the following command from command line/shortcut: "tm.exe <config file name>
>> Example: tm.exe dedicated2.cfg

How do you change the time delay between match end and level reload (scoreboard veiw time)?
-Use the line "CoolDownTime = n" where n is in seconds. Put this in your dedicated.cfg file. I found that 4 secs was way too short.

Now only if I knew how to run multiple dedicated servers with different entity variables (say one with a machine-gun nuke, another with very slow, 2 ammo nukes) without multiple installs of the program...

--Random Chaos

IP:

LDA Seumas
unregistered
posted October 09, 1999 12:37 PM           
Actually in the multiple dedicated config files you should change the "ServerPort = " line, so in one it's 12300, in another it's 12301, then 12302, etc. You shouldn't change any other port numbers or addresses.

Multiple installs of the Test shouldn't be too bad, as it's only 20-some megs each, but theoretically you could make multiple Entity directory trees sharing the same content folders. Here's the procedure: Make a subdirectory called e.g. "foo", and copy the Entities folder into there, along with tm.exe and a config file. Then make a text file "foo\dirs.cfg", and on each line put the absolute path of one of the main content directories from the parent dir with trailing slashes, e.g. this _should_ work:

..\art\
..\maps\
..\objects\
..\sound\

That will make the tm.exe launched from foo\ look in the parent directory for everything except entities, which it will pull from its local entities folder. You may have to use absolute paths in dirs.cfg, e.g. c:\program files\ blah blah, but the ..\ to get the parent dir should work.

------------------
-- Seumas McNally, Lead Programmer, Longbow Digital Arts

IP:

Random Chaos
posted October 10, 1999 01:30 AM            
Ok, I have gotten a second dedicated server up with different entity files, but:

Why won't the projectile entities download -- it sort of defeats the purpose of a second server if you can't make multiple nukes with different fire rate and tracking abilities

Also, what I was trying to do was have the normal nuke and then a second type nuke with the avenger cannon being the launcher and the output being a machine-gun nuke with little splash damage, lower hit damage, and half sized holes. I was trying to do the same with the matter bomb. The only problems is that to do it I have to have a second nuclear projectile entity file and that file isn't downloading

Any suggestions or is this just something that is not yet implemented. Also, I am having similar problems with changing crater sizes that are also stored in the projectile entity file. It sort of defeats the ability to make a terrain deformation server.

--Random Chaos

IP:

LDA Seumas
unregistered
posted October 11, 1999 04:48 AM           
Right, customized .ENT files aren't sent from the server to clients yet. This will be added before too long (all the frame work should be in place now). These will also be temporary, ram only downloads so as to not mess up the local client. It also means if the server changes _every_ .ent file it could take a long while to connect to the server, but it won't be a big deal for a handful of changes.

Right now the best you can do is modify the existing .ents. None of the contents of the .ents will be downloaded to the clients, but all of the changes should affect how the server runs the world, so an Avenger could launch a Nuke projectile.

------------------

IP:

Random Chaos
posted October 11, 1999 11:26 AM            
One other thing that has to be copied if you want the dedicated server to run in a second directory tree: audio32.dll

For some reason it can't find it unless you copy it, even if you put the parent directory in the dirs.cfg file.

IP:

Random Chaos
posted October 12, 1999 09:26 AM            
Ok - heres the deal with the swarmes:

If you have been to my server you have seen so odd things happening with the swarmers in the last day. I am creating a terrain deformation server on a different port (this is what all the 2 servers on one computer stuff is about). The swarmers are testing out the various deformation tools I will be adding to the terrain deformation server. I will always be using the swarmers launcher for mount, but the weapon may not always be launched from that spot. For instance, the plama mine - if I launch it from the center of the tank, the tank is always effected (however, that might make a cool concussion shock wave or emp shock wave effect if it detonates on you, does no direct damage but does splash damage and has a lot of push on that splash damage ).

Here are some of the weapons I plan to add to the terrain deformation server:
1. Spire making tool - like the swarmers on 11/11/99-?
2. A pancake sized hole making tool
3. A sucking tool (make a shape like -.^.- ) This is a double projectile tool.
4. A std nuke crater
5. A std matter bomb mound
6. A m-gun dirt adder (basically the reverse of the avenger)
7. A m-gun dirt taker (basically the avenger)
8. A pancake sized dirt making tool
9. A trench making tool
10. A bouncer tool with a small dirt adding part

IP:

Random Chaos
posted October 12, 1999 09:29 AM            
P.S. I hope I can make the double projectile tool work right!

Also, when the flame thrower in Beta 2.1 comes out, I am going to have fun

Last - if anyone has ideas for further terrain deformation tools, please tell me.

Also - LDA: Is there any way to do a smoothing weapon as if rain/wind effects helped even out the landscape. This will become quite a hard terrain to drive on if such a weapon can't exist.

IP:

LDA Seumas
unregistered
posted October 13, 1999 08:41 PM           
No flamer in 2.1, sorry. Except for the super-ammo power-up and the new insignia flags and team flags, there isn't any major new content in 2.1 so as to not break network compatibility too much. 2.1 puts up a nice message if it detects a version mismatch though, so once everyone has 2.1, it'll be easy to rev the network format and add new major entities for another test yet.

We've got at least 3 weapons almost completed that will be added to the next Test after this.

A terrain smoothing function is an interesting idea... I might be able to add that functionality to the engine, if only for modifiers to use in their own new weapons.

------------------

IP: