|
Author Topic:   Couple of questions and ideas
Random Chaos
unregistered
posted October 07, 1999 10:46 AM           
1: What are all the entities -- can you have a list somewhere. For instance -- what is the Kangaroo entity? Which smoke entity is the tank smoke?

2: Could you add a damage multiplier tag to the entity files so that the damage of the weapon is easily changed.

3: I mentioned in one of my other posts about downloadable flags. Hears the idea -- you know what Half Life dies with decals. It is a 2 color decal that you chose black+2nd color in game. What if you did a similar thing, but with 4 color where the colors are set in the BMP file -- it would make a small enough file to easily download. It would also make costomizeable flags fun!

4: You really need a lava launcher!

5: How about a remove dirt weapon that does the same damage as a dirt ball (since you have Nuke and Matter Bomb that cancel each other out). Plus that would keep with the spirit of the Scorched Earth type game.

6: Add falling damage -- basically multiplier*(delta-v) where delta-v is speed difference between the 2 objects. This would also give the ramming damage.

7: Screen shot key!

8: Save a level function. If you have had lots of fun terriforming with a Nuke and Matter Bomb combo -- allow that new map to be saved to be played at a later date! (fun sounding -- isn't it

--Random Chaos

IP:

Random Chaos
posted October 07, 1999 11:34 AM            
One other question:

What is in the seal107.zip file that comes with the download? It has C complier data and C files. But what is it?

--Random Chaos

IP:

LDA Seumas
unregistered
posted October 08, 1999 10:20 AM           
1. That's a secret. The full game will have readme files that will explain some of the entity parameters in more detail...

2. You change damage amounts through the Projectiles, not the Weapons. Weapons fire Projectiles (or, ah, if you specify a "class/type" combo, you can have weapons fire... things other than projectiles).

3. AFAIK Half-Life dedals are actually grayscale, then tinted a color with a palette. I may be wrong though. I may have time to do auto flag downloads, but it is not a priority at the moment, seeing as the on-line player base is still pretty small.

4. Maybe... Lava's easy in 2D, trickier in 3D. Maybe napalm of some sort.

5. Er, basically every normal weapon removes dirt. For crater size, the Cruise Missile is kind of an anti-dirtball.

6. Not sure about falling damage, but ramming damage is a possibility.

7. Tap F12 twice, or hit it once to start recording a sequence of frames.

8. I haven't designed with save games in mind, but saving just the terrain data wouldn't be too hard.

The seal107.zip file is the source code to the 2D Audio library I used; it's included because it's released under the LGPL, which requires that the source code be supplied with your product or easily accessible. It's tiny, so I threw it in.

------------------
-- Seumas McNally, Lead Programmer, Longbow Digital Arts

IP:

Random Chaos
posted October 08, 1999 03:14 PM            
This was suggested to me by a freind as to how to fix the map edge bug:

Make all the maps wraping so that when you hit the map edge, you come out the other side. I realize this may need major code changes and map redesign -- but it would work (at least for battle matck).

IP:

Random Chaos
posted October 08, 1999 03:18 PM            
1. The Kangaroo and the Sheep entities are sectrets? I see... Now you HAVE me interested in them

4. I like the Napalm idea!

7. I realized this is what F12 does after the post. One other thing about function keys: change the Windowized/Full Screen (F8) key to alt+ or shift+ or ctrl+F8 -- its too easy to hit when doing something else and screws with game play for a few second -- enough to make you die!

IP:

Random Chaos
posted October 08, 1999 03:34 PM            
One last thing:

9: You need a way for the server to Kick opponents and a way for players to commit suicide.

IP:

LDA Seumas
unregistered
posted October 09, 1999 12:15 PM           
Here's what I'll be doing about the map edge: Test 2.1 (released soon, network compatible with Test 2) will simply put an invisible wall at the "too far" region to keep tanks from going nuts. The next Test and/or Demo after that (not network compatible) will allow completely free range long distance movement, just as in single player. The problem is it will require network protocol changes, so I want to get Test 2.1 out first, which will have a more user-friendly message for when your versions don't match (Test 2 doesn't say anything, just "Disconnected", which is really helpful).

I've got server op kicking and self-destruct keys on my todo list now, thanks!

------------------

IP:

Kaeto
posted October 09, 1999 04:02 PM            
I think I know what the kangaroo and the sheep and the rabbit are. I won't say though. If I'm right that is so funny. Just one question : WHY?

IP:

Moriarty
posted October 10, 1999 04:14 AM            
free-range movement sounds nice, but:
(I've tried this once in single-player) when you do some major terrain change somewhere (nuke, matter bomb), and someone is sitting at the exact spot "one map away" from ground zero, what would happen? suddenly the ground underneath him goes up or down, and he goes with it? or are the explosions transferred too? just curious... this could make for some interesting scenes (can you say "fun"? )

------------------
I'm on AOL - not everything that comes from a bad place is necessarily evil

IP:

Moriarty
posted October 10, 1999 04:16 AM            
oops, sorry, that actually belongs into another thread...

------------------
I'm on AOL - not everything that comes from a bad place is necessarily evil

IP:

Random Chaos
posted October 10, 1999 12:03 PM            
I think I know what your thread you wanted to post this on was: The wraping map one -- I posted it too.

Heres why terrain deformation would have no problem: The tanks wrap to the other side of the map -- not the map is duplicated. Therefore when you wrap, a tank that was at the opposite side of the map is right in front of you. (of course you can see him before the wrap...) Basically, treat this as a tile system where each tile is a complete duplicate of the one next to it, tanks, powerups, weapons, and all. Either that or think of it as teleporting to the opposite side of the map -- except you can see the teleport destination.

--Random Chaos

IP:

LDA Seumas
unregistered
posted October 11, 1999 05:02 AM           
A nice idea, but it wouldn't work with the current architecture. And with a large enough view distance, you could see yourself off in the distance. It's much simpler if there's just one copy of everything in the world, and the terrain simply wraps to give the illusion of more terrain where there actually is none. For a different game, terrain wrapping might be disabled and instead new tiles of terrain would be paged in or generated on the fly as you moved "off map".

------------------

IP: