|
Author Topic:   Weapon respawn balancing
zakalwe
unregistered
posted October 02, 1999 11:47 AM           
Hi, I was just wondering how I balance the respawning of the weapons, I can't seem to find it anywhere, or is it really obvious and I'm just blind?

Great game(-test) btw, works sweet on my p2-300 with an old TNT, although I can't get it to work on my voodoo2.

IP:

LDA Seumas
unregistered
posted October 02, 1999 10:41 PM           
Go into the entities\weapons\ folder and adjust the "weight" parameter in the .ent files. Bigger weight means more probable respawn.

For the Voodoo2, did you try running GLSetup 1.07 from www.glsetup.com? It should install the proper Voodoo2 drivers. The TNT will probably give better image quality and performance though, but it would be an interesting comparison.

------------------
-- Seumas McNally, Lead Programmer, Longbow Digital Arts

IP:

zakalwe
unregistered
posted October 03, 1999 11:02 AM           
Cool, thanks!

I haven't tried GLSetup yet, since I haven't had any problems with anything else (Half-Life, Q3Test, Kingpin, UT) but I'll get it tomorrow and try it out, when I'm on the fat university pipe. Hmmm, I do have trouble starting the Homeworld demo though, well, I'll give it a try.

Btw, I thought that the voodoo2 would be faster than the TNT, since it is in everything else I play. But yes, the TNT looks better because of the crap alpha blending on the voodoo.

IP:

zakalwe
unregistered
posted October 04, 1999 06:41 PM           
Ok, so I d/l'ed the full GLSetup, and it still wont work with the voodoo2. I get the error message "Could not initialize acceptable OpenGL rendering context!". Guess I'll have to stick with the TNT for now.

IP:

LDA Seumas
unregistered
posted October 05, 1999 11:29 AM           
Hmm... Does it help if you set your desktop to 16-bit first? Or even 640x480x16-bit, which is the resolution the Voodoo version should default to?

------------------

IP:

zakalwe
unregistered
posted October 06, 1999 04:32 PM           
DOH!!! Boy do I feel stupid. Yes, it did indeed work after I did the ol' Switcheroo and put the desktop in 16-bit. Heh.

Anyways, is there a special way of benchmarking with it (like quake engines timedemo) or do I just turn everything up and see which one runs more smoov than the other?

IP:

LDA Seumas
unregistered
posted October 06, 1999 05:39 PM           
Hmm... It's funny you had to switch resolutions, as I think I can start up Voodoo mode on my P133 when the Permedia-2 desktop is in 32-bit. Maybe there's something sticky about 32-bit mode in the TNT drivers.

There isn't a TimeDemo equivalent yet, since there aren't demos that you can record and play back yet, but you can judge the terrain performance by starting a single player battle match game with 0 opponents, and turning on the FPS counter (I think you can just hit the "f" key to toggle).

------------------

IP:

zakalwe
unregistered
posted October 07, 1999 08:21 PM           
Ok, so I checked the difference in framerates on the TNT and the Voodoo2. In 640x480x16 with the same options on (3000 tris, high meshes), the TNT got around 25-27 fps, while the voodoo2 got 19-21. In 800x600 they both went down one or two frames. I have a P2-300 with 128 megs.

That came as a bit of a surprise to me, I thought that the voodoo would have been faster than the TNT, since it is in all quake-engine games I play.

IP:

LDA Seumas
unregistered
posted October 08, 1999 11:26 AM           
I get the impression that Voodoo OpenGL drivers are optimized for Quake engine games, and not a lot else... I've never been very impressed with the performance of Tread Marks on Voodoo cards compared to other chipsets. One thing that improved performance on our Voodoo 3 system a fair bit was changing the sound output from A3D2.0 to DirectSound, since it doesn't have a 3D sound card.

------------------

IP: