|
Author Topic:   Bad Voodoo3 performance
SlowmoJoe
posted October 01, 1999 01:23 PM         
Damn fun game but im having a performance problem..

I have a 433 celeron with 64 megs of ram and a voodoo3. For some reason, my machine is really bad at handling all the transparent smoke and stuff. In quake 3, if i take the shotgun and shoot the wall at point blank i see my fps drom from 100 down to like 20 or 25. In Tread marks, its the same thing, whenever I turn or get really close to other tanks and theres alot of smoke on screen and my fps plummets. Its constantly dropping into the 20s and hard to play. Im using the latest drivers and the opengl in my system directory is by microsoft. Whats wrong, is this just a flaw of the voodoos or what?

IP:

LDA Seumas
unregistered
posted October 02, 1999 05:03 AM           
That could just be the Voodoo3 then...

That gives me an idea, at some point I should write a program to test BLENDED fill rate on video cards. I have a hunch there may be some surprising numbers returned...

You could try reducing your screen res to 512x384 in the options screen, which may help.

Also try DirectSound instead of A3D2.0 if you don't have a 3D sound card.

------------------
-- Seumas McNally, Lead Programmer, Longbow Digital Arts

IP:

That_Bastard
unregistered
posted October 02, 1999 07:41 AM           
Yeah.. it will slow down because smoke is the hardest thing for a computer to process because it gradually becomes transparent and there's lots of it. dont worry i have a P!!! 500 and a voodoo 3 at it still slows a bit!

IP:

SlowmoJoe
posted October 02, 1999 08:09 AM         
I have a feeling its the 16 bit color because when I had a voodoo 2 , I never had that quake 3 shotgun problem.

*the Voodoo 2 cant render 16 bit color.

IP:

LDA Seumas
unregistered
posted October 02, 1999 08:22 AM           
Actually, every 3DFX Voodoo product currently available can render 16-bit color, and in fact that is the only thing they can render. They can't render in 24 or 32 bit color at all. So it's not a color depth issue when going from the Voodoo 2 to the Voodoo 3; if there is a measurable slowdown for blending operations (e.g. transparent smoke) from the V2 to the V3, it must be something else. And I do intend to put this to the test soon...

------------------
-- Seumas McNally, Lead Programmer, Longbow Digital Arts

IP: