|
Author Topic:   Re: gravedigging solution
flybynight
posted September 30, 1999 06:55 PM            
The gravedigging and severe "pincushion" terrain is still a problem. (Your matter bomb is a cool try at a solution).

Idea: using the modified effects from the nuclear blast, make wind/snow/rain storms!
the wind storm kicks up a lot of dust, and when its over, the graves are filled in to a preset level. Maybe dunes too? Buried tanks?(that then die of asphyxiation! )

With snow, ovbiously snow fills in, different levels and textures tho'.

with rain: ever pothole/grave fills up, then the sun comes out and dries it up, but it filled up to say, half a tank height below the level the water was at.

Possible? Kewl?

just a thought, love the game!

IP:

LDA Seumas
unregistered
posted October 02, 1999 04:04 AM           
After playing a bunch of networked games on-line, I think the grave problem might be mainly due to dumb AI tanks hosing large amounts of ammo into the same spot, so it may be fixable by just tweaking the AI, which I want to do anyway. Graves don't seem to really form in multi-player human games, so far. But I may add a special grave-filling routine anyway. Matter Bombs are really just a cool weapon.

------------------
-- Seumas McNally, Lead Programmer, Longbow Digital Arts

IP:

Random Chaos
unregistered
posted October 06, 1999 03:01 PM           
Yeah -- especially matter bombing a bridge across a river. If you've ever tried this, you would notice that the old river bed location is a different texture map -- any way of fixing that?

IP:

LDA Seumas
unregistered
posted October 08, 1999 09:51 AM           
I guess it depends on what you envision the Matter Bomb doing. Pushing the earth up from below through some matter sucking/expanding magic, or depositing a huge pile of fresh "matter"? I suppose for the latter, I could try making the matter bomb change everything it "hits" to a specific texture.

------------------

IP:

Random Chaos
posted October 09, 1999 08:10 PM            
I have managed to dig my own grave, and it took a while. However the following thing happened after I tried to go into it:

It shot me back out -- and at high speed! What is with this and why do the AI tanks have a grave digging problem if they get shot back out of the hole?

--Random Chaos

IP:

Random Chaos
posted October 09, 1999 09:24 PM            
I finally managed to dig a grave that I can't get out of. This is where the suicide thing I asked for can come in handy

IP:

sno
unregistered
posted October 10, 1999 04:11 AM           
yes but it should kill one frag form your score, or people will use it to keep enemy's from gaining frags

the only thing i find difficult to get out of is a hole with a puddle of water, cuz of the water i cant get the speed needed to climb the hill

i would suggest perhaps tanks didnt slow down as much in water, but i fear for my life(PLEASE DONT FLAME ME!! 8)

IP:

Random Chaos
posted October 10, 1999 11:59 AM            
I agree that you should lose a frag for comiting suicide, but I also think that there should be a frag lost when you kill yourself with a weapon (they're's a huge advantage to suicide nuking now).

And no, I won't flame you Sno -- my complaint was about sore losers. You were being overtly self centered every time I had played with you -- please think before you make a comment is all I ask. And don't gloat about wins or losses.

--Random Chaos

IP:

sno
unregistered
posted October 10, 1999 02:46 PM           
sore loser? hahaha

yea right,

when was i being a pain bout losing?

IP:

LDA Seumas
unregistered
posted October 11, 1999 05:30 AM           
Okay, let's be nice.

Getting shot out of deep craters is an anomaly of the physics engine; not intentional or controllable, but kind of cool.

A kill-self key is on my todo right now, and it will take away a frag. Killing yourself with a weapon _should_ remove a frag right now, as well. If you're sure that you've seen it not take away a frag, let me know and I'll look into it.

------------------

IP:

appel
unregistered
posted October 17, 1999 11:43 AM           
Me and some friends played a networked game for about one and a half hour on the same map without bots. We didn't get thouse deep holes you get with bots but the landscape still gets all full edges. Is this the way it's supposed to be?
Since the tanks only have contact with the ground on the treads you get stuck and when the treads go below an edge things really get screwy. Also when you fall or get bumped around you don't roll like I guess a tank would. You bounce and go through the ground, it looks really dumb and you have no idea of where you're going.
Is it possible to make the tanks (and ground) really solid so you go from edge to edge instead of getting stuck in between?
Or having a corrosion effect I've seen some suggest. It would make it more real, sand wants to run down, not stay in sharp high edges.

IP:

Random Chaos
posted October 17, 1999 12:48 PM            
The full edges are a problem if you get "buried" by them. This is one of the reasons of a suicide key . As for grave diging - I had to spend over 10 minutes making my grave before I got stuck! It imposible to do if you are being chased!

A corrosion effect would be nice - maybe set on a time delay so that every x minutes after the level started a wind/rain storm comes up and smoothes the landscape.

As I mentioned in another post, have the ability to make a terrain smoothing weapon. FYI: the responce to that was that they are considering implementing the ability to make a smoothing weapon, but won't use one in the default config.

If there is a terrain smoothing function that runs every x minutes, that needs to be specified in the dedicated.cfg with the ability to turn it off.

--Random Chaos

IP:

sno
unregistered
posted October 17, 1999 02:26 PM           
your note of weather just gave me a cool idea

how about lightning strikes?

randomly striking down from the sky, hitting tanks

IP:

Random Chaos
posted October 17, 1999 03:57 PM            
I like randomly occuring chaotic events .

My understanding is that there are already levels that have natural events. Lightening is a good idea if they haven't already thought of it. How about tornados. Spinning, flying tanks that recieve some damage - but not enough to kill - would be fun. Also, what about random chance of a volcano erupting in the playing feild (rather than just have a level that has a volcano on it).

There are many other natural phenomenom that could be included - I suggest you implement many that showed up in Populus .

IP:

sno
unregistered
posted October 17, 1999 04:08 PM           
yea, i once suggested a game mode called

"hazards"

but it was shot down

cuz they say, some of the maps implement "hazards"

tornados would be cool, a big tornado slowly moving around the map, causing terrain damage, picking up tanks, and flingn` em all over

how bout this

METEOR SHOWER

little rocks of death falling from the sky

if one hits your tanks, you take massive damage,

IP:

LDA Seumas
unregistered
posted October 18, 1999 11:41 AM           
A meteor shower... Heh, that could be done pretty easily using the current engine. Might just have to work in a second Moon map with falling meteors...

I think I just figured out a solution to the problem of terrain getting "sharp". Right now the deformation is a relative thing only, so e.g. if you have a spikey piece of terrain and drop a nuke or matter bomb on it, you'll get a spikey crater or mound. What I'll try is doing a low-pass smoothing filter on the terrain as a pre-pass before applying the crater or hill, so heavily bombed out regions will end up much smoother than they do currently.

------------------

IP:

Appel
unregistered
posted October 20, 1999 03:23 AM           
A smoothing effect for the big weapons sounds cool. Then it would seem like the dust getting kicked up spreads out over the surrounding landscape or something. That is, if I understood what you were saying correctly.

IP:

Kaeto
posted October 20, 1999 02:25 PM            
What Seumas is talking about is when you shoot a nuke or matte bomb into a "spikey" area, i.e. one that is full of craters and hills, the nuke hole/matter bomb hill still has those spikes. What he is doing is sort of evening out the terrain affected before making the hole/hill.

IP:

Axident
unregistered
posted October 24, 1999 10:34 AM           
Running a smoothing filter over the landscape is a good idea. If you could stop the engine from generating angles over a certain radius you could probably stop gravedigging.

I find it crops up quite a lot when playing with AIs. Especially around weapon respawn points. The worst one I've seen was what was essentially a volcano, complete with hole in the top. And every time a tank fell in, it'd get ejected skywards at a rate of knots. Quite amusing.

Another way around gravedigging might be a 'recover' button. Relocates you to a rendom spot on the map at the cost of a frag.

IP:

Random Chaos
posted October 24, 1999 01:05 PM            
Well, they have added a suicide button...

IP:

Random Chaos
posted October 24, 1999 04:19 PM            
The suicide button is Alt-K

Forgot to mention that before

--Random Chaos
treadmarks.3d-unlimited.com

IP: