|
Author Topic:   IPX NETWORK SUPPORT
DHARRIS
unregistered
posted September 23, 1999 09:03 AM           
DO U THINK HAVING A IPX PROTOCOL WOULD BE A GOOD IDEA FOR THOSE OF US WHO HAVE A OFFICE? OH BETTER YET I WILL SOON HAVE A CYBER CAFE BUT NONE THE LESS I THINK HAVING IPX SUPPORT FOR BOTH OF THESE TYPE WOULD BE COOL

IP:

LDA Seumas
unregistered
posted September 24, 1999 03:40 AM           
Is it possible for you to install TCP/IP as a protocol on the network cards at your office?

I'm against adding IPX support at the moment, as it would mean complicating the networking code a fair bit, and my impression is that there isn't really any place where it would have an advantage over TCP/IP.

I'd like to hear people's comments though. If there are compelling reasons to add IPX support, it could probably be done.

------------------
-- Seumas McNally, Lead Programmer, Longbow Digital Arts

IP:

ChadC
posted September 29, 1999 12:17 AM         
Hrm.. not sure about a reason to have it, other than prehaps if people want to play in an enviroment like where I work(normal users can't add protocols and remove them due to restrictions). We only have some proprietary crap, and IPX. All internet stuff(only web, smtp, pop3) goes through this stupid interface program. It sucks, it sucks I say!
but enough of that crap. Last time I looked at ipx stuff in winsock it didn't look to bad. I'm not sure if there are other ways todo it. I can't honestly think of a reason to add it, except in the case above. But I also can't think of any reason to not add it, other than it would complicate the source base a bit. How about make it even more complex and add a linux/beos support? Just kidding..

IP:

LDA Seumas
unregistered
posted October 02, 1999 03:48 AM           
Good point, but do those same work machines with fixed network protocols have video cards fast enough to play TM?

Oh, and Linux and Mac support is something I will be looking into, but want to get the Windows version out first.

------------------

IP:

Matt Chambers
unregistered
posted October 26, 1999 10:22 PM           
I definitely think support for IPX networks should be added. At the least, you should add support for DirectPlay IPX. However, even DirectPlay doesn't work for the network at my office because we use Novell, the ugliest, nastiest, most memory eating networking software ever made. Remember the old DOS games like Duke3d that had the adapted version of a basic networking protocol? I wish things would go back to that... well actually I wish Novell would get it's ass together and be compatible...

IP:

mars
posted October 27, 1999 07:52 PM            
Well, it is amaizing listening to everyone down IPX! I could give more reasons to make the support than the amount of time it would take you to come up with another reason why there should be no IPX support!
Don't get me wrong, I think TCP/IP is great but not all the time. IPX/SPX is much better for 'hubbed' games. IPX also carries more data quickly in some cases. IPX could really never compete with TCP/IP over a large, very large network but there really is no 'large' network besides the internet. And do all of you people really think that eveyone with a computer is on the internet? I mean, come on, people can be networked and not be on the internet...LAN! And running a virtual network would not be an excelent choice. And if it's a bunch of computers networked running say Microsoft peer-to-peer services...aka, no server, then IPX is really the only way to go without having headaches on the user end. I have tried just masking random ip #'s on NICs and it's pretty flakey, not working most of the time. And other times you would need to atleast run a browse master or router.
I am and have been for a while, on an Intranet. My computer is hooked to a hub on a large scale LAN that is hooked to the WAN(internet) through one common gateway. This is a commonly know way of getting a large group of computers on the internet with one connection. But I still run IPX. In fact, I run a few protocols and to this day have had no 'speed' troublle.
Yet, this is my 2 cents that was asked for...I am not making the game so I really am not making the decissions. There are games out there as we speak that only support IPX or only TCP/IP.
-MARS

------------------

When everything else has failed, send in the tanks!

IP:

LDA Seumas
unregistered
posted October 28, 1999 01:21 AM           
Well, DirectPlay is out of the question. IPX may be reasonably possible; I'll have to look more closely at the docs, but it may not actually take that much tweaking to add IPX support through WinSock 1.0.

It's pretty easy to set up TCP/IP on a LAN that's not on the internet, though. I'll have to add a section to the readme to this effect. Basically you just assign a unique static IP to each computer's net card, preferably in an unroutable range, such as 10.1.1.x, and set the NetMask to 255.255.255.0.

------------------

IP:

Kaeto
posted October 28, 1999 09:21 PM            
winsock 1.0???? why 1.0?

IP:

LDA Seumas
unregistered
posted October 29, 1999 05:50 PM           
Er, I meant WinSock 1.1. WinSock 2.0 doesn't add anything other than weird Windows specific stuff, and I want to be portable. 1.1 claims to support IPX though.

------------------

IP: