|
Author Topic:   Tread Marks Music
Kaeto
posted August 27, 1999 02:04 PM            
Seumas:
What about putting an MP3 player into the game? I don't think it is that big of an overhead (i've played a couple of games with winamp running in the background and got about a 10% performance hit)

IP:

LDA Seumas
unregistered
posted August 27, 1999 04:23 PM           
The MP3 playing algorithm is patented, so it's not as simple as it could (should) be to use it in a commercial product.

Also, it just so happens that I finally got music playing into Tread Marks a couple of days ago, and it's working out quite nicely. I'm streaming 44khz, 8-bit, mono WAV files off of the hard drive, which is giving good data compression (10 megs or so per song) and quite good quality as well. And 44/8 sounds surprisingly better than 22khz 16-bit, at the same size in bytes, at least for the music we have.

Basic 44/8 WAVs are also across the board compatible, and are easy to stream with both A3D 2.0 and SEAL. Having two audio output options (three if you count DSound and WaveOut provided by SEAL, and 5 if you count DSound, DSound3D, and native Aureal provided transparently by A3D 2.0) is quite nice.

------------------
-- Seumas McNally, Lead Programmer, Longbow Digital Arts

IP:

DarkFrog
posted September 03, 1999 08:15 PM            
Any chance you could put in a player that instead of playing MP3's, plays tracked music
(isn't that the same catt as mods, like in DX-ball2?)
because I think if people dug around at www.traxsinspace.com, they could find the music they'd want, and for that matter it seems most artists are willing to give out rights to their music, as long as they get a little credit (for instance, Opacity allowed me to use his song Report to go with a VC summer camp shooter game, as long as he got mentioned)

------------------

IP:

LDA Seumas
unregistered
posted September 04, 1999 08:05 PM           
That's an interesting thought... Since I've got SEAL support in Tread Marks now, I could allow it to load and play MOD music, when in SEAL mode (but not A3D2.0 mode...). The downside is that with only 32 voices, SEAL is already hard pressed to handle the normal sounds of the game, so taking a chunk away for music might be problematic.

Perhaps the easiest solution would be to simply make the game scan a user-music directory for mono-WAV files, and stream them along with the normal music as well. Then you'd be able to save a WAV file of your favorite MP3s or MOD files, and have the game play them. Heck, you could even rip your favorite audio CD tracks and chuck them into the mix. Come up with your own custom Tank Music Mix.

I know WAVs are bigger than MP3s, but 44,100hz, 8-bit, mono WAVs sound pretty darn good, and aren't terribly big.

------------------

IP:

DarkFrog
posted September 04, 1999 11:06 PM            
yeah, that's a good idea, but one recomendation to people who'll go with wavs, I highly recommend "radio quality", it's almost the quality of cd's, but about a tenth of the size

IP:

LDA Seumas
unregistered
posted September 06, 1999 12:24 AM           
That would probably be 22,050hz, 8-bit, mono, which is one-eighth the size of CD-Quality, at 44,100hz, 16-bit, stereo. (Each component is halved, which drops the size to a half, then a quarter, then an eighth.)

And that should work fine for adding extra music to the game, too.

------------------

IP:

DarkFrog
posted September 06, 1999 12:43 AM            
doh, well I was kinda close, wasn't I?

IP:

orion
posted September 13, 1999 12:56 AM            
how about putting some more wonderful sidewinder MODs in tread marks? sidewinder's music was excellent, and that in-game music patch was what kept me playing dxball2 for hours. i even went so far as to order all of his CDs... so all i can say is - thanks for letting him do the music for dx-ball! that's how i found him. he could do a mean techno track for tread marks...

LDA for life. haw.

------------------
-orion

IP:

LDA Seumas
unregistered
posted September 13, 1999 06:55 AM           
No SideWinder music will be included with Tread Marks, but you'll be able to add his music or any other music you like by saving off a WAV version of the song to the appropriate music directory.

I'm just about to upload a portion of one of the new pieces we've had done for Tread Marks in MP3 format, to give you a taste of what's to come. Keep an eye on www.TreadMarks.com.

------------------

IP:

Kaeto
posted September 18, 1999 12:33 PM            
Hey about the MP3 thing again: Tread Marks audio is a dll thing, right? What's to prevent you from writing and freely giving away a MP3 playing DLL that just happens to use the same interface as Tread Marks?

IP:

LDA Seumas
unregistered
posted September 19, 1999 09:36 AM           
That's a theoretical possibility, but since it couldn't be shipped with the game, there wouldn't be a lot of point in the effort. As it is you'll be able to add music from any source (MOD, MP3, MIDI, Audio CD) by converting to a WAV. 44,100, 8-bit mono WAV files are just 2.6 megs per minute, which isn't terrible compared to the 1 meg per minute of a 128kbit stereo MP3.

------------------

IP:

The Cruiser
posted December 30, 2004 11:07 AM         
Talk about a blast from the past LOL .

IP:

The Cruiser
posted December 30, 2004 11:16 AM         
just do a search for mods - sidewinder , intresting to say the least lol .

IP:

synack
posted December 30, 2004 11:45 AM         
Cruiser, just FYI, we generally tend to leave Seumus' threads alone, out of respect.

But welcome to the community anyway. Hope to see you on the servers soon.

IP:

The Cruiser
posted December 30, 2004 12:20 PM         
Noted , just figured that new people would check the archives to see the history .

IP:

=DNX= Ni
posted December 30, 2004 12:37 PM            
I have my suspicions. I do hope you [The Cruiser] are banned by IP if that's possible!

IP: