|
Author Topic:   Do you like the idea of purchasing on-line?
LDA Seumas
unregistered
posted August 11, 1999 06:59 AM           
We're planning on selling Tread Marks through our secure web store, as a shipped product (probably with next-day delivery) with a box, jewel case, and CD-Rom.

What do you think? If you liked the final demo, would you buy it on-line if it wasn't available in retail stores?

------------------
-- Seumas McNally, Lead Programmer, Longbow Digital Arts

IP:

Falcon
posted August 11, 1999 06:26 PM         
I think that if the game was well worth playing, then yes, I would purchase it on-line.

It sure as hell beats waiting in lines and fighting your way through crowds.

You have my thumbs up on it!

------------------
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Alex Erazo alexe@home.com
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

IP:

Jagsmith
posted August 12, 1999 02:02 AM            
I love the idea of buying it online..
I can't wait to buy the game. It might not make it to Idaho. he he
=]

IP:

CheshireCat
posted August 12, 1999 02:23 PM            
Wow, icons =]

I purchase all of my comp hardware (moniters and cases excluded) and software online if at all possible. It's been a long while since I've seen the insides of a computer store.

CheshireCat

IP:

Maxie
unregistered
posted August 12, 1999 04:22 PM           
I would like to buy online.
I would never buy it in a computer store.

IP:

orion
posted August 27, 1999 12:05 AM            
on-line transactions. ohh, the excitement.

i'd prefer to order on-line.

------------------
-orion

IP:

Hielo
unregistered
posted September 09, 1999 02:48 PM           
Since this is an online forum, don't you think the answers will be skewed towards people willing to buy online?

Set up a questionaire in a local computer store and you will see the exact same effect, but people will want to buy it in a store.

IP:

LDA Seumas
unregistered
posted September 10, 1999 02:07 PM           
I realize the answers are going to be a little skewed...

You can read about some of our reasons for wanting to do things this way at:
http://www.treadmarks.com/purchasing.html

------------------

IP:

S1hane
posted September 18, 1999 01:22 PM         
One thing that would be bad about buying only (only) would be that tread marks would become an inside thing... Like how sub-space was, a lot of people dont go looking for a great game... but they find it in the store and decide to grab it (impulse buying) If its available in stores then it would have more players, thus more money for you guys. . .

IP:

LDA Seumas
unregistered
posted September 19, 1999 09:29 AM           
You'd think that would be the case, but the realities of the retail games market are pretty harsh. There are basically two ways we could get Tread Marks onto store shelves: One would be to shop the game around to a big publisher, and have them put it on the shelves. First time major title developers often don't get more than a 20% royalty from a publisher, and even biggies like id Software only get about 40%. And that's a percentage of what the publisher makes (before it goes to the distributor and then the retailer) after cost of goods is subtracted. The other option would be to try publishing the game into stores ourselves, but the harsh reality on that side of the coin is that you need to pay large sums of marketing money (effectively bribes) to the retail chain stores just to get shelf space, since they have so many products competing for space.

Either way, the numbers are pretty bad, and the risks pretty high, especially when first starting out. Economically, we can end up selling a lot less copies directly over the internet, and still end up better off than if we signed up with a publisher. And if the game looks like it could be a serious hit, expanding into retail at a later date is still a definite possibility.

As for SubSpace, I tried it for a while back when it was in beta testing, and it didn't strike me as being an amazing amount of fun to play. I'm sure there are lots of people who enjoyed it, but it may be a bit of an acquired taste. It also didn't have a single player aspect AFAIK, so you had to play it on-line.

------------------

IP:

il_mutanto
posted September 30, 1999 08:23 AM         
purchasing online sounds fine, but what about ppl like me who don't own a credit card?

IP:

scal
unregistered
posted September 30, 1999 08:34 AM           
in case of a boxed cd, what about the shipping costs?

IP:

LDA Seumas
unregistered
posted October 02, 1999 03:55 AM           
il_mutanto,

Well, you could get a friend with a credit card to order for you. Or if there's demand we _may_ be able to offer ordering by cheque.

scal,

It will likely be $5.95 for next-day shipping within the U.S.

------------------

IP:

Parias
posted October 07, 1999 04:39 AM            
Well, since I'm in Canada and without my own credit card yet.. and my parents are nutty about giving their credit card # out on the net.. I'm gonna be stuck with getting it in a store

------------------
Parias
Member of TacticalPlanet (www.tacticalplanet.com)
ICQ 1293359
"NEVER get out of the car!"

IP:

Moriarty
posted October 10, 1999 06:32 PM            
what's gonna be the delay and cost for us little guys here in Europe?
And I like the idea of purchasing online. When I first read about it my reaction was "duh!", but now that I see your reasons... I didn't know the big publishers were that bad.
I am one of those guys without a credit card too, but I'll find a way. The whole online sale sure gets the creators and customers closer together. like in this bbs.
I hope the development of this new market is not going to be busted by false offers (on the provider side) and crackers (on the "customer" side).

------------------
I'm on AOL - not everything that comes from a bad place is necessarily evil

IP:

sno
unregistered
posted October 10, 1999 11:12 PM           
i don't got a credit card either,

im also one of em people who is paranoid bout handing out info over the net
(notice that im am not yet registered)

IP:

LDA Seumas
unregistered
posted October 11, 1999 05:35 AM           
It will be possible to order on-line from europe, but shipping might be a tad expensive at first, until we can work out a more local publishing or distribution arrangement.

------------------

IP:

Random Chaos
posted October 11, 1999 11:31 AM            
I personally don't like purchasing online, however if you provided a snail-mail method of buying, i'd be willing to use it.

IP: