This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2  |
Author Topic:   WARNING! Rival Ball Freeware+SPAM
Bopig
posted December 14, 2004 03:49 PM            
Hey,
This is a message to the administrators as well as fellow gamers.
I downloaded the Freeware version of Rival ball and got some nasty spam crap as well. There is no warning or anything about this crap and I find that a little annoying. Yes, it's fairly easy to remove thanks to Ad-Aware and such, but the point is that no one likes that crap, and you guys should of warned people ahead of time to expect that with the download.
Ah well, I've found alternative ways to get this game as punishment.

------------------
-Bopig!

IP:

Skull Man
posted December 17, 2004 06:01 AM            
quote:
I downloaded the Freeware version of Rival ball and got some nasty spam crap as well.

If that's the case, you did NOT download it from www.LDAgames.com

[This message has been edited by Skull Man (edited December 17, 2004).]

IP:

Bopig
posted December 17, 2004 07:01 AM            
Yes I did. I downloaded it by clicking on the "here" link on this page http://www.ldagames.com/rivalball.html

------------------
-Bopig!

IP:

jujaga
posted December 20, 2004 03:10 PM         
This is quite an odd statement. I've downloaded from LDA many times, but nothing like this has happened before. LDA is a trustworthy company. I just redownloaded the RBFree.exe from http://www.ldagames.com and no spyware. However, in you use Internet Explorer, spyware may have gotten through without your knowing. That's why i use Firefox. Anyways, I don't know what happened, but it wasn't LDA.

------------------
FISH!!! Firefox 1.0 Rocks!!!

IP:

LDA
Administrator
posted December 20, 2004 07:10 PM            
Unfortunately there is some truth to the rumor...

Companies are always after us to include Adware/Spyware utilities with our free downloads... In the past we've always declined as the utilities were too invasive and caused more trouble than they were worth.... Sadly, we finally caved into the inevitable need for cash-flow, but not before careful review of these products....

1. The product is within the installer of the freeware versions of DX-Ball 2 and Rival Ball ....(not in Tread Marks or any of our newer products or in any of our purchased products) The game installs and then the utilities are installed ...and can be stripped off at that point, which is why some see it and some don't. They are also easy to uninstall and don't interfere with the games.

In add-remove programs they are:

Instafinder
Megasearch Toolbar
TopText iLookup

2. These utilities comply with the October Spy-Act from the US congress and don't gather or send any personal information... They create links within web-page text, block pop-ups and jump to their custom "broken link page" instead of the explorer default or to google, etc....

Otherwise they lay dormant....i.e. The bottom line for me is that they doesn't bog down the host computer. (I've been running them on my development machine...without problems.)

In general, we prefer to keep our web pages free of ads, etc., when people browse our site.

When people are getting a freeware version of a game, then it seems the appropriate place to inseert an ad etc. (all is described in the installer license) when we need the operating funds.

Jim

IP:

jujaga
posted December 20, 2004 07:55 PM         
Ok... so I stand corrected... But anyways, at least now we know.
One thing that I'd like to mention, 1) LDA's news web page hasn't been updated since July 30, 2) Game Launcher hasn't gotten any news of anything since the initial release of RBT, and 3) Is it just me, or has LDA been quiet for these last few months... I just wanted to point out and mention.

------------------

IP:

jujaga
posted December 20, 2004 08:03 PM         
Oh, to add to that, 4)The News section in RBT hasn't been updated since the release of RBT 1.0.2, 5) I was just wondering if some of the bugs in 1.0.2 will be fixed in the near future, and 6) I'd like to point out that the Tread Marks site hasn't been updated for more than a year. I do at least suggest that the links page and some stuff be at least updated to the present time, as when I was browsing, I became lost, found broken links, and fixed problems of TM still listed as problems (config.cfg)(seeing the master server)
I guess i've become critisizing, but not intentionally. I just wanted to point out all the things I have noticed.

------------------

IP:

LDA
Administrator
posted December 21, 2004 07:22 AM            
Yes, we'll definitely need to do more updates.... With the new 3D engine nearly ready, things should get pretty chatty in the new year.

Jim

IP:

Bopig
posted December 21, 2004 09:31 AM            
Thanks for admitting it LDA. Like I said though, a little warning would of been nice.
Also, told ya so JuJaga. :p

------------------
-Bopig!

IP:

Skull Man
posted December 21, 2004 09:32 AM            
Guess that's the replacement for the reply I was expecting, Jim.

I have to agree with jujaga.

RBT is buggy, no news, not to mention that the site is old.. I don't like the look after the latest update...

The BBoard haven't been touched since 1998, apart from the new forums made for the new games, and the deleted PFire forums...

Will the Bulletin Board ever be updated..?

IP:

jujaga
posted December 21, 2004 12:20 PM         
Heh... things are finally becoming clear to me, however, I was just curious, is the 3D engine for Tread Marks, or for something else? lol...

------------------

IP:

jujaga
posted December 21, 2004 02:14 PM         
!!! I just thought of a great idea! How about a RBT 3D? I mean, blocks suspended in midair in the arena, square paddles, I mean, that's an original idea! lol... maybe the new 3D engine could come into play with this ideas... lol. If you think about it, it's just a new way to play RBT! Just a thought... lol.

------------------

[This message has been edited by jujaga (edited December 21, 2004).]

IP:

Teulk
posted December 21, 2004 09:15 PM            
Hey Bopig-love your profile---LOL
I have relatives out west in Calary--maybe I should get you "hooked" up !!

IP:

LDA
Administrator
posted December 22, 2004 07:43 AM            
The 3D engine is for a Strategy Game based on the rise to power of Philip of Macedon....

As things progress, we'll look at what can be done for the community... testing, custom tools, editor, etc.

Jim

IP:

jujaga
posted December 22, 2004 11:49 AM         
OOOOOOOOOOOOOO..... shiny.... lol

------------------
FISH!!! Me have fun!!! RB/RBT/TM anyone? :D Firefox 1.0 Rocks!!!

IP:

Bopig
posted December 23, 2004 07:20 PM            
Oh ya Teulk? I think I might know what you love so much about it.

------------------
-Bopig!

IP:

Teulk
posted December 23, 2004 08:30 PM            
funny--I guess...

IP:

coaxs
posted January 04, 2005 11:38 PM            
Lol, if you have been waiting for a forum update, imagine me. I've been a bum around here since 2000. I remember all the forums and even visit the mysterious 8th forum:

------------------
Tread Marks Ladders

[This message has been edited by coaxs (edited January 04, 2005).]

IP:

LDA
Administrator
posted January 06, 2005 02:11 PM            
We've backed off the adware

The hassles and hidden problems were getting a bit too annoying...

Jim

IP:

jujaga
posted January 07, 2005 12:49 AM         
Yay! No more of that spyware crap! And also, a firewall has been set up! Yay! Security and a cleanup! I love the sound of it! Yay!

------------------
=MOD= FISH!!! Whee!!! RB/RBT/TM anyone? Modulus :D Firefox 1.0 Rocks!!!

IP:

LDA
Administrator
posted January 07, 2005 08:01 AM            
Yes, good word-of-mouth is about all that keeps us going... and the mistake was obvious...

Jim

IP:

Skull Man
posted February 26, 2005 11:36 AM            
quote:
Lol, if you have been waiting for a forum update, imagine me. I've been a bum around here since 2000. I remember all the forums and even visit the mysterious 8th forum:

What forum is ?

In an update, I'd expect buttons for existing and new BBcodes including:

• Bold text
  • Italic text
  • Underline
  • Code
  • List
  • List=
  • Img
  • Url
  • Text size
  • Text color

plus another few improved / new features

• An option in the profile to always show or hide it your signature
    -Using pictures in the signature
  • Preview of post
  • List of smilies aviable
  • Author being able to delete their post as long there's no replies below
  • No "edit notice" as long as there are no replies (suggestion)
  • Search
  • Memberlist
  • Private Messages

All these and even more are standards of Bulletin Boards today, ultimate or not.

[This message has been edited by Skull Man (edited March 17, 2005).]

IP:

jujaga
posted February 26, 2005 02:04 PM         
I also agree with Skull Man. I don't wan't to sound like I am complaining, but I do believe that the forums could get a facelift. If you haven't noticed, nearly every forum you go on has more features than what this forum has. Those are my 2 cents...

------------------

IP:

Skull Man
posted February 26, 2005 06:24 PM            
I'm not being harsh, but I'm glad someone's with me after all

------------------
.::aka tey RB/RBT online::.

[This message has been edited by Skull Man (edited February 26, 2005).]

IP:

jujaga
posted February 26, 2005 06:59 PM         
You're tey!?! I never knew that!?! Ok... it's official, I live under a rock... lol.

------------------

IP:

This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2