|
Author Topic:   Rival Ball 1.4 Beta Update
ldarob
Administrator
posted May 23, 2003 07:34 PM            
I've just posted an update for Rival Ball 1.4 Beta on the main Rival Ball page.

Some of the new features include chat rooms, mute, list sorting, ranks, player edit/delete, password login and a few other details.

Unfortunately players on the old lobby could not be moved over and so you will need create new players (I don't expect this to happen again). The big difference with the players this time is that once created you can login from anywhere using your password instead of being limited to the computer you created them on.

You will also notice that to save bandwidth when you connect you no longer receive the full player list but only those players who are online at that time. Once a player has been downloaded to your machine you can check their stats (rank, wins, etc.) even when they are offline.

I've posted the download outside the forum this time so there should be more people online to play with.

Thanks for your previous comments and please let us know if you have any more.

Rob

PS: We're still looking into the issue regarding uploading scores, we haven't been able to duplicate the problem but we are still working on it.

IP:

Laurent
posted May 24, 2003 03:16 PM         
Rob,

I downloaded the new version, thanks.

Besides the - still remaining - problem I've been experiencing (re. uploading scores), I can now report that whenever I send a chat message in the gameroom (I've sent 2 to you), I get the message that the connection timed out before the message could be sent...

Looking forward to a solution (or to any good advice that might lead to one)

Laurent (aka Karel)

IP:

Teulk
posted May 24, 2003 10:52 PM            
I have the same problem...the messages never get through--was trying to get in touch with rob on-line--but it never happened..
I was also playing a network game tonight...and I found out that if the other player forfeits, you don't get credited with a win...interesting...

IP:

ldarob
Administrator
posted May 25, 2003 11:49 PM            
Sorry, those messages did get through but I accidentally left my account logged in while testing and so I wasn't there to receive them.

The system times out after 15 seconds or so if you don't acknowledge the message to prevent them piling up. There is an auditory signal when a message comes in but I was out the room and missed it.

Regarding the forfeits: We decided not to give a win when the other player quits to prevent people from abusing multiple accounts and building up "fake" wins to improve their rankings. Showing the number of quits and counting them against a player's ranking will hopefully deter people from ruining other gamer's experiences. Other suggestions?

Finally Laurent, sorry that there isn't a solution to the scoring issue yet. Do you have vortiball, triangle trifle or stone cutter? If so, can you post scores in those games?

thanks again for everyone's continued help in testing rival ball,

rob

IP:

Laurent
posted May 26, 2003 02:35 PM         
Rob,

I'm sorry but I don't have the other games, and I think it would be a bit far fetched to spend the money on games that aren't really "my thing", just to see if I can upload scores in them.

Without wanting to lay any blame on anybody, this is all quite a disappointment to me.

I'm obviously not "technical" enough to try and look for a solution myself...and none is coming forth from anybody else. Oh well.

IP:

LDA
Administrator
posted May 26, 2003 02:45 PM            
Laurent

Send me an email to:

longbow@longbowdigitalarts.com

and we'll try something.

Jim

IP:

Laurent
posted May 26, 2003 02:50 PM         
OK Jim,

I will.

(Just another thing I was curious about; how can people put up scores where it says " # boards played : 71 " when there are only 20 boards in the set?)

IP:

LDA
Administrator
posted May 26, 2003 03:25 PM            
That's a bug in the repeat boards setting that will be fixed.

Jim

IP:

lol
posted May 27, 2003 03:26 PM            
JIM! PLIZ LET ME BE AN MODERATOR ON THE RIVAL BALL FORUM. I CAN GET MANY TO THE FORUM'S AND PLAY YOUR GAMES? MY MAIL IS CYBER_NINJA_X@HOTMAIL.COM

------------------
join the killers

IP:

Skull Man
posted May 28, 2003 04:08 PM            
lol!

IP:

Mysterial
posted May 28, 2003 07:28 PM            
Suggestion: Have player data show the last time that player was online, so that way you can get an idea of when people might be around.

IP:

Skull Man
posted May 29, 2003 01:29 PM            
Sounds great for me.
I never find any ''Rivals''

IP:

Skull Man
posted May 29, 2003 02:14 PM            
Ohh! I hate this BUG! :

If you minimize Rival Ball (alt+tab), and then restore it, the screen will turn up totaly black!, and then you have to draw with the mouse to turn it bakc.

There are some other things too that is buggy in RB.

The numbers in your score (top left) are ugly and different:

• Some have ticker out-lines than others
  • Almost all of the numbers and letters (chisel font) have different size.

Fix this and I will be happy

[This message has been edited by Skull Man (edited May 29, 2003).]

IP:

Teulk
posted May 29, 2003 04:19 PM            
What....no "Please???"

IP:

TK
posted May 30, 2003 07:26 PM            
hey Laurent, there is no bug in the repeat board set. If there are 20 boards and your playing repeat board set, each board repeats 10 times until all your men die. Then your high score is uploaded. So, if your last man dies on the 71'st board, then thats the number of boards played that will be uploaded with your high score. If you survive the complete board set, then all 200 boards will be uploaded with your high score.

IP: