This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2  |
Author Topic:   Rival Ball 1.4 beta release
LDA
Administrator
posted May 06, 2003 07:36 PM            
Rival Ball 1.4 is now ready as a freeware upgrade.
http://www.ldastore.com/downloads/RBFree14Beta.exe

Rival Ball 1.4 will install into the LDAgames folder and should read any DX-Ball 2 and Rival Ball boards installed on your system. If it doesn’t, then just copy the contents of the DX-Ball 2 and Rival Ball Series 1 and Series 2 boards folders into it.

New Features:

Boards are now sorted by board-pack

Players can now post scores to our High-Scores page.

Rival Ball 1.4 auto-saves when you quit and has a resume option when the game is restarted.

At easy and medium settings, power-up changes remain in effect until the board is cleared (like they did in DX-Ball 2).

The biggest change is the addition of the lobby server, which should make it easier to find opponents. The lobby runs out of our LDA office in Toronto. After some testing, and feedback, we’ll enable the creation of other lobby servers, which will help address any regional lag issues. When we add that feature, although anyone will be able to create a lobby server, they will work best if run off at least a DSL connection.

Jim

IP:

Teulk
posted May 07, 2003 01:38 AM            
Well lets have a great big WOOOO-HOOO--and ain't it about the time. Will dld this baby asap, but wont get to it until tomorrow.
Question...since I have RB and DXBAll already installed, will I need to do anything special to get 1.4 to start-up in either of these games, or do I have to incorporate them into 1.4?
The more info the better, so I can get playing as soon as possible.
I know there were a wholw load of folks waiting on this, and I sure am glad it has finally happened. We'll see if it was worth the wait!!! (I'm sure it was)
Tally-ho and all that, let's make some noise and crash some bricks!!

Just curious as to why there is no mention of this release on the LDA home page??!!

[This message has been edited by Teulk (edited May 07, 2003).]

IP:

Laurent
posted May 07, 2003 08:31 AM         
So far, whenever I try to upload a score, I get a message saying "unable to connect to...".
Any ideas? I'm running an XP machine with ZoneAlarm and gave Rival Ball.exe server status...

IP:

ldarob
Administrator
posted May 07, 2003 01:40 PM            
In answer to a few of the comments:

Unless your installation of Rival Ball 1.3 or DX-Ball 2 has been moved from the default location, Rival Ball 1.4 should pick up all of your existing boardpacks. If it doesn't you can either copy the board files from your other games into the 1.4 folder or you can add the path to your boards to the dirs.cfg file in the 1.4 folder.

We haven't mentioned Rival Ball 1.4 on the main page or in the newsletter yet because this is only a beta version. We wanted to test the new lobby features with a smaller audience before publicly relasing it. So please feel free to give us any feedback you have.

As far as the high scores go, the server has been up since we posted 1.4 and we've successfully posted scores both from in the office and outside. The forums are hosted on the same machine as the scores so in general if one is up so should the other. I would take a further look at your firewall, Rival Ball contacts the score server on port 80 so that needs to be open. Were you able to get on to the lobby? Do you have any of our other games with high scores i.e. Vortiball, Triangle Trifle or Stone Cutter and have they worked?

rob

IP:

Skull Man
posted May 07, 2003 01:42 PM            
oH LORD!! Is it realy true!!??

RB1.4 BETA!!!

WOHOO!

sorry that I replied in the question...

[This message has been edited by Skull Man (edited May 07, 2003).]

IP:

Skull Man
posted May 07, 2003 01:54 PM            
OH! ITS SO GOOD!!!!

WHEN I HEAR THE NEW SONGS FROM SIDEWINDER (IF THEY ALL ARE) I GET THE FEELING WHEN I PLAYED DX-BALL 2 FOR THE FIRST TIME.

I KNOW ONE OF THE SONGS, WHICH IS TECHNO BEES, BUT THOSE SONGS ARE MP3 FORMAT, SO HOW CAN YOU PLAY THEM IN THE GAME?

WHAT EVER, NO ONE IS ONLINE, BUT THERE GREAT CHANGES AND COOL EFFECTS!!!

I LOVE IT!!

IP:

Skull Man
posted May 07, 2003 02:05 PM            
I think I found a bug, im not sure, but when you get logged on-line, the boing ball stops spinning.....

IP:

Laurent
posted May 07, 2003 04:46 PM         
ldarob,

I've tried it after having shut down ZoneAlarm...still no go.

I seem to be able to connect to the "gameroom" (is that the Lobby you're talking about?) though nobody ever seems to be online...

This is all such a mistery to me.

IP:

LDA
Administrator
posted May 07, 2003 05:06 PM            
Yes, the gameroom is the lobby server... and as we haven't announced it yet, it will be fairly quiet for the first few days.

We did a router re-boot about an hour ago. Try different settings when posting scores, and let us know if you get any error messages.

Jim

IP:

Laurent
posted May 07, 2003 06:24 PM         
LDA,

Apparently, I just played an online game against Jim...(my first ever, didn't realise speed was important )
Obviously this means I can connect to the server.

But I still can't get connected to the score server to upload scores...

When you say "Try different settings when posting scores", what settings do you mean? I don't really see many options in that area...

Hell, I need to go and start ZoneAlarm back up....

I'll be back tomorrow, it's past midnight over here. Hope I'll have the solution in this Forum tomorrow...

IP:

LDA
Administrator
posted May 07, 2003 06:56 PM            
Yes, that was our first trans-atlantic game, and it seemed to work OK.

Nice come-from-behind win

By different settings, I was thinking of easy or medium and then trying to post a bunch of test scores. (Knowing that you ofter play on impossible mode.)...although it is unlikely to make any difference.

The time-out is set at 60 seconds so you should be able to post scores if you can play.

Does it time out or immediately come back with an error?

Also, check Zone-Alarm for log files. Let us know what message is showing up in the logs, if any.

Scoring uses a different system than game play, so something could block the score transfer and allow game play.

Jim

IP:

Laurent
posted May 08, 2003 01:27 PM         
Hi Jim,

The connection process (when trying to upload a high score) times out after 21 seconds on my system.

The lobby seems to connect alright.

Having ZoneAlarm running or not doesn't make any difference.

After all this waiting (and me having a reputation to uphold ) - can you imagine my frustration?

I do hope I get this sorted out soon, with your help...

IP:

LDA
Administrator
posted May 08, 2003 01:43 PM            
Try with zone alarm on, allowing access to port 80. That way a log file should be generated when you try to post.

Can you access the online scores through the game?

Jim

IP:

Laurent
posted May 08, 2003 02:33 PM         
Jim,

I looked, but I can't figure out how to "allow access to port 80" in ZoneAlarm. It's (free) version 3.7.143
Can you tell me how you're supposed to do that?

No, I can't access the online scores through the game. I get the same message after 21 seconds as when I try to upload scores.

IP:

Leif
posted May 11, 2003 04:00 AM            
Laurent wrote: "I looked, but I can't figure out how to "allow access to port 80" in ZoneAlarm."

DON'T TELL HIM, JIM!! ;-)

IP:

Laurent
posted May 11, 2003 05:39 AM         
Hi there Leif ,

Nice to see you again. I'm sure I'll see a lot of your scores up there...

Meantime, I'm dining on my fingernails here, trying to figure out how the hell to post even a f****ng LOW score...(pardon my French).

If you have any ideas for me....please post them. Please.

IP:

Skull Man
posted May 12, 2003 08:08 AM            
Kæm e Leif?

Are you norwegian

IP:

Leif
posted May 12, 2003 09:26 AM            
Close enough!
I'm Swedish, actually.

IP:

Teulk
posted May 12, 2003 09:41 PM            
Anybody willing to post their favourite times to play??? Used the game room for a couple of days, but have yet to see anyone else on-line.
Looking forward to seeing others out there...

IP:

Laurent
posted May 18, 2003 05:24 PM         
I'm sorry to say that my problem still remains unsolved.
Could it be that there is some flaw in the code? As I said earlier, the connection process (when trying to upload a high score) times out after 21 seconds (instead of 60) on my system. Why would that be?
Also, I never see anybody else online in the Game Room...seems strange.
I need help to solve this, please.

IP:

Teulk
posted May 19, 2003 02:24 AM            
Was on the game board tonight, and was hoping someone could answer this...there was a player listed as hosting a game, but not on-line--how is one to join if one cannot connect??
Just curious...

IP:

Skull Man
posted May 19, 2003 08:07 AM            
Hmmmmmm.....sounds strange.........

I have experied that one time too.....

---------------------

Im 'tey' on the RB lobby!

IP:

lol
posted May 21, 2003 01:17 PM            
rival ball 1.4 beta has many bugs. i hope that the original version are here sooooooooon!!!!!!

------------------
join the killers

IP:

lol
posted May 21, 2003 01:22 PM            
hey adminisrator pliz let me be a moderator!!! i can get many too join the forum and play rival ball. my mail is cyber_ninja_x@hotmail.com

------------------
join the killers

IP:

coaxs
posted May 21, 2003 03:15 PM            
I like how you call LDA's product buggy, and then ask to be a moderator all within a post of each other.

IP:

This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2