|
Author Topic:   Rival Ball
mouse53
posted December 23, 2001 05:20 AM            
All Rival Ball players beware, if you download and install the new demo it will erase your high scores. Also when you remove it you will lose the exe and cannot start the game

IP:

Chrille
posted December 23, 2001 05:10 PM         
Is this true?? If it is, then it really sucks!

IP:

coax LWA
posted December 23, 2001 07:23 PM            
even more reason to cough up the extra cash to support this wonderful game.

------------------
http://www.geocities.com/coaxs

[This message has been edited by coax (edited December 23, 2001).]

IP:

Teulk
posted December 23, 2001 08:43 PM            
Does that happen even if you have the first version of Rival??

IP:

Laurent
posted December 25, 2001 03:43 PM         
I've checked...and it IS true !!!!

All my highscores are GONE !!!!

This is really too much. If I made a mistake like this where I work, I would get fired !!!!

COAX LWA,
Can you explain your post , please?

Jeez, I'm pissed

IP:

coax LWA
posted December 25, 2001 04:29 PM            
sorry, I didn't understand mouse53's post correctly but now i do; so i won't bother explaining my comment since i was commenting on something else.

I went to check the version of Rival Ball I currently have but I'm not sure what it is. From what i can tell, you guys are complaining that your highscores get erased if you download the RB1.3 patch which is also the RB1.3 demo. I haven't done this but if it erased my high scores i would be pissed too. I'm going to email jim@longbowdigitalarts.com about it right now and ask him to comment about it in this topic or I'll post the replied e-mail.

My only advice is that before applying this patch or any future patches make a copy of the scores.rps and netscores.rps files in the rival ball folder. So that you can place them back in there after the patch is added.

[This message has been edited by coax (edited December 25, 2001).]

IP:

Laurent
posted December 25, 2001 05:08 PM         
Coax,

I see. So no need to explain your previous post.

I had a whole bunch of new highscores lined up in my scores.rbs file, ready to be sent in to their High Score page. Now, I don't have any proof left, just my own log in an Excel-file.

I do hope you get an honest reply to your E-mail to Jim.

[I'm particularly ****ed at LDA because this isn't the first stunt with a so-called "patch" from them. Purchase "Rival Ball Series 2"? No thanks, not just yet...]

IP:

Teulk
posted December 25, 2001 11:48 PM            
Yeah, that's a real drag (and this is for Laurent particularly because I'm pretty sure he's been holding the most high scores---I should know, I've been trying to top them...so far no luck). I realy hpe this gets fixed quickly. I'm always willing to try a new download from LDA, but until this is rectified, I think I'll pass. Sorry guys.

IP:

coax LWA
posted December 26, 2001 01:58 AM            
this is what they sent to me

quote:

Yes....we apologize and it has been fixed....

Regards,

Jim

Perhaps Jim will trust you and you can still send your .xls

IP:

Teulk
posted December 26, 2001 02:15 AM            
Let me know if it works. Like Laurent, I have a few high scores I'm fond of!!!

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted December 26, 2001 04:26 AM            
just applied the new patch and the high scores weren't erased. So don't worry about it, but I would still suggesting backing up those files i mentioned in the earlier post.

IP:

LDA Kusari
Administrator
posted December 26, 2001 11:01 AM            
Hi,

The issue was corrected late on Sunday the 23rd. As long as you downloaded the 1.3 demo on or after December 24th there shouldn't be a problem with your high scores.

Our apologies!

Dylon

--
Longbow Digital Arts Technical Support http://www.longbowdigitalarts.com/

IP:

Laurent
posted December 26, 2001 11:15 AM         
Dylon,

Problem fixed or not...I still lost all my highscores.

But I accept your apologies, because you, at least, came out and said that a mistake was made.

Whatever reason "the family" has for not even deigning themselves to comment on this...it will be beyond me, and unacceptable.

You know, I'm now actually AFRAID to let "Rival Ball Series 2" loose on my system! It will take a lot of reassuring reviews from fellow-players to convince me to buy it.

[This message has been edited by Laurent (edited December 26, 2001).]

IP:

Teulk
posted December 26, 2001 03:49 PM            
Hey, Laurent, I will download the new version (after backing up my own high scores first, of course) and then let you know what came of it. I really want to be a witness to your high scores...seems you are the man to beat. Later....

IP:

Teulk
posted December 26, 2001 04:21 PM            
Good news Laurent (unforunately a little too late) the upgrade download DID NOT erase my high scores. Sorry to hear that yours were gone, but knowing you, they will be back soon (I'm sure sooner than later). Looking forward to seeing the new ones though.
The upgrade looks interesting enough, although the new boards look limited in nature. Enjoy...

IP:

LDA Kusari
Administrator
posted December 27, 2001 09:10 PM            
Hi Laurent,

I've been "in the trenches" long enough to know just how important high scores are to folks, especially masters like yourself, so I feel especially bad about what happened.

Just a thought, if you emailed your high scores file to us at some point there still may be a copy of it in your sent mail/outbox.

It depends on the program in question, but several popular email programs, like Netscape Messenger keep copies of attached files.

It may be worth sorting through your outbox if you haven't cleaned it for a while. I've recovered several files in the past using this process.

Regards,

Dylon

--
Longbow Digital Arts Technical Support
http://www.longbowdigitalarts.com/

IP:

Laurent
posted December 28, 2001 01:43 PM         
Dylon,

Thanks for your concern.

Your suggestion, though much appreciated, won't work - because those highscores (14 of them, all in the "Easy" mode, but pretty high none the less) were never E-mailed at all. They were just sitting there, waiting to be sent along with others to come.

It's a good thing that I like Rival Ball so much, because it makes it easier to see the only good point that results from this mess...I'll just have to replay all those board-sets again

...and I'll back-up my scores.rbs file after each completed set (sigh).

Hope you'll stay with LDA, they need you.

IP:

Laurent
posted December 28, 2001 05:54 PM         
...also

I assume that my high scores that are already on your High Scores page will stay there, as they were sent in with a valid scores.rbs file way back in august. They just won't show on the next file I'll be sending in...

[Jesus Christ, Laurent! This is just a game...]
...that was the missus jumping in on the key-board

IP:

Teulk
posted December 28, 2001 06:58 PM            
Ahhh, but what a game....

IP:

LDA Kusari
Administrator
posted December 28, 2001 08:39 PM            
Thank you!

That's too bad!

No need to fear, the current scores will stay put!

Regards,

Dylon

--
Longbow Digital Arts Technical Support
http://www.longbowdigitalarts.com/

IP: