|
Author Topic:   Virus in DX-Ball 2
Jammer
posted March 15, 2002 11:54 PM         
I thought that I would inform you that the uninstall file, in the freeware version of DX-Ball 2, has a Backdoor Trojan virus in it. This was reported by Norton Anti-Virus on 2 different computers that this game had been installed on. The file I downloaded, which contains this virus is dxb2game125.exe, dated 12/10/01. I certainly hope you did not intentionally place this virus in your game, but I would have thought that you would have checked your files thoroughly before making the game available for distribution. If there is some other reason why your uninstall file would be detected as a Backdoor Trojan virus, I would like to hear it.

I love the game, have no problems running it, and have no complaints about the game itself. But distributing a malicious virus, that leaves a system open to hacking, is unacceptable. If there is a newer (virus-free) version, I would like to know. Also, if there is a newer version and you no longer have a copy of this version, I would be happy to send you a copy to examine (I still have the original executable file and didn't delete it after installing).

Thanks.

[This message has been edited by Jammer (edited March 16, 2002).]

IP:

LDA
Administrator
posted March 16, 2002 12:10 AM            
The problem is an error in the latest update from Symantec as the files on our web-site are all virus and trojan free.

We've had a pile of reports tonight, all related to the latest Norton update. Norton is detecting and reporting on the uninstaller that is used by DX-Ball 2 and many other programs.

The installer is from another company called Clickteam.

Our other virus detection software shows the files as clean, so you shouldn't have any problem as long as the only trojan reported is in the uninstaller.

I expect Norton to send out an update to correct the problem

Jim

IP:

Jammer
posted March 16, 2002 05:13 AM         
That makes sense, as this is the first time that Norton reported this (and I've had the game installed for quite some time). I'm glad I didn't delete anything more important than the uninstaller file. I think Symantec would have had a lot of unhappy people on their hands if crucial files were being deleted, based on their Anti-Virus reports.

Thanks for the fast response!

IP:

hello12
posted March 16, 2002 05:02 PM         
Just to give you a heads up, I also was informed that the trial version of rival ball i recently downloaded also included this virus warning from norton AV 2002.
Both the uninstall files from dx-ball 2 and rival ball were listed as infected, so i removed them.

IP:

Tinkatoy2000
posted March 26, 2002 12:39 AM            
I have norton's systemworks2001,Zonealarm Pro and vcatch all are virused program which you can run with Norton anti virus. Thay all work good cause I also downloaded and install all Dx-Ball 2 and Rival ball and none of them have viruses. Here are the web sites to get them from: www.vcatch.com and www.zonelab.com.

IP: