|
Author Topic:   DX-Ball & DX-Ball 2 score board perl script
Gm Rpr
posted April 21, 2001 10:49 PM         
I have previously made a DX-Ball score board script. The site is at scores.dxball.org ; however, the script was kept on my personal server. I'm really not seeing a reason for me to maintain it so I'll be willing to hand everything over to one person who wants it. I'll send a zipped file containing all required files to run the board as well as transfer the site scores.dxball.org over to whoever wants it.

If there are multiple people who are interested in recieving what I have made I will use a script that will at random choose a person from a list of people interested.

The only thing that I ask is that my information remains within the script and my name appears at the bottom of each page.

If LDA would like the script, no others will recieve a copy of it and it will go straight to LDA and may do as they like with it.

If you are interested please email to:
grimreaper@frenzy.org
please be sure to include a valid email where I can reach you within the email and be sure to include the subject "DX-Ball: Script".

-= Gm Rpr =-
---------------------------------------------------------
Frenzied Technologists - http://www.frenzy.org

[This message has been edited by Gm Rpr (edited April 22, 2001).]

IP:

Gm Rpr
posted April 23, 2001 03:17 PM         
I'll keep this offer going until the 30th of April...After that, I'll trash everything...

-= Gm Rpr =-
--------------------------------------------------------------
Frenzied Technologists - www.frenzy.org

IP:

Gm Rpr
posted April 27, 2001 03:53 PM         
4 days left to claim the script before it gets thrown away...

-= Gm Rpr =-

IP:

Dreamer
posted April 29, 2001 06:29 PM         
in case nobody else applies for that scriptwork, I'll take it. I'm not sure whether I'll be able to run a site using it, but I'm strictly against acts of final destruction against anything.
(Yes, I still keep files from the late 80s and early 90s on my harddisks and streamer tapes, must get to archiving fdds onto CDs soon or those _will_ be lost)
In the worst case, I'd keep your offer up for you, Reaper, in the best case, I'll try and find the time to run a site using it.
almost forgot: my email addy is dreamer@tmvr.de in case you want to contact me

[This message has been edited by Dreamer (edited April 29, 2001).]

IP:

Gm Rpr
posted April 30, 2001 12:59 AM         
Dreamer,
I'll be sending LDA the script...

The reason why I don't care much about throwing it away is because it only took like 3 days to make. There didn't seem to be much progress comming from LDA for a score board so I decided to make one myself where people could post their own scores...
As for backing up stuff...I have a chat system that I've made and still working on that I have backed up onto about 4 cds and another script for a website that's backed up on 3 cds.

-= Gm Rpr =-

IP:

Amiga
posted May 05, 2001 12:02 AM            
Gm Rpr,
I want to thank you for all you have done for Dx-Ball2. (I would of hoped that LDA would of done the same here in this 'Forum' (Thanking you for your support))

IP:

Gm Rpr
posted May 06, 2001 02:08 AM         
Amiga,
I had fun with the board while it lasted. When I was building that board I never really played Dx-Ball all that much. It's been a while since I've played it.
Anyways...It kinda looks like LDA doesn't want the board I made...So, What it seems to me...all of you will probably be waiting a long time before you are able to post your high scores on LDA's site.
What I would do if I were them is have 1 person working on nothing else but a high-score board system for their games because many people have already show an intrest in posting their scores. Just look at my site...In the short time that I had the board, I've have over 1,000 visitors to my site. Remember...this site has only one purpose...it's a place for users of DX-Ball to post their scores. I think that's a fair amount of people that have shown intrest in posting scores. LDA said before that if enough people showed an intrest, that they would develop a high-scores system. Isn't 1000+ enough?

-= Gm Rpr =-

[This message has been edited by Gm Rpr (edited May 06, 2001).]

IP:

Gm Rpr
posted May 07, 2001 02:46 AM         
My site, scores.dxball.org is 3rd on google's listing for "dxball" and 2nd on netscapes listing for "dxball"

Google: (Top Referer)
http://www.google.com/search?q=dxball
Netscape:
http://search.netscape.com/google.tmpl?charset=UTF-8&search=dxball
http://www.longbowdigitalarts.com is tied as top referer along with Google.

-= Gm Rpr =-

IP:

Laurent
posted May 08, 2001 04:13 PM         
To be honest, I've given up hope on an LDA highscore site or page for DX-Ball a long, long time ago...don't ask me why - I don't find any pleasure in seeing my posts deleted.

In spite of that, I'm accumulating high scores on Rival Ball as if I were in a World Championship...but, again, there's no place where I can go and meet other players and check if I'm really any good at all...

It's just frustrating.

Gm Rpr,

Could you be convinced to try and write the same kind of stuff for the Rival Ball game? There are 44 different highscores possible with the official board-sets alone (11 sets times 4 difficulty levels). That should give players a nice platform, wouldn't it? Maybe LDA could be convinced to put up a link to that site (hadn't they said they would do the same with your other site? Oh well).

Guess I'm just daydreaming.......

IP:

Gm Rpr
posted May 09, 2001 01:49 AM         
Laurent,
It would be easy I belive to have a scoreboard system for rival ball. The scoreboard that I made for DX-Ball and DX-Ball 2 was pretty simple. The reason why I'm not going to put the board back up is because I don't see a need for it. I haven't had ANY requests to put it back up. If I recieved enough requests, I would consider running the scoreboard again and also work on incorporating a system for rival ball. The only major difference is that with the DX-Ball portion, I will verify the score and post the high score myself instead of others posting it. And if there was a way to verify a score on rival ball(I wouldn't know because i haven't played it) I would verify it too and post it the same way.

Any comments about the scoreboard may be sent to grimreaper@frenzy.org if you wish.

-= Gm Rpr =-

IP: