|
Author Topic:   Please Help!!! Unable to get Dx-Ball2 to install
DrWho
posted January 02, 2001 05:48 PM            
First I would like to note the system requirements taken from your OWN website.

Requirements:
System Requirements:
DX-Ball 2 should work on any Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows 2000 or Windows NT 4.0 machine with Microsoft's DirectX installed (included with Win95 OSR2, Win98, and NT Service Pack 3 or 4), a video card capable of High-Color (65535 color) graphics, a Pentium
100 or better processor, and 16 or more megabytes of RAM.

I cannot get this game to install under Windows NT 4, Windows ME, or WIndows 2000.
The error I KEEP getting is

'The Dynamic link library AUDIOW32.dll could not be found in the specified path, installation aborted."

Being a former programmer, IE dos and 16 bit apps, I immediately recognized the filenmae AUDIOW32.DLL. THis is a file that is used under WIN32 to translate 16 bit audio code to 32 audio code. Win32 is a substystem generally used under Windows 3.1 to allow developers to write 32 bit code on a 16 bit operating system. Come on guys don't you think it is time to DROP 16 bit compatibility? There cannot be THAT many Windows 3.1 machines left, and they are slowly but surely dissappearing. All you guys need to do is RECOMPILE this app under a REAL 32 bit environment, at most it would require some minor midifications. As most of the world is moving from 32 bit OS's to 64 bit OS's it qould be REALLY great if you could bring this FANTASTIC game to 32 bit desktops, REAL 32 bit desktops.

I would like to point out that ON YOUR OWN SITE you state that this game works with Windos ME and WIndows 2000, and that is FLAT OUT NOT TRUE! Nothing that is using WIN32 will work under EITHER of theses OS's ...
I have not been successful under Win NT 4.0 although I suspect that it will eventually run there ..... BUT NOTHING is gonna make this run under Windows ME or WIN2000 the installer will not even initialize .....

IP:

DrWho
posted January 02, 2001 05:54 PM            
FYI I am running a DUAL boot Windows ME/Windows 2000 machine. It is a PIII 800 with 192 megs of PC100 ram and a Turtle Beach Quadzilla soundcard (Aureal chipset).

IP:

joemyers
posted January 03, 2001 07:49 AM            
You are obviously doing something wrong, I have loaded and run this game on Win 3.1,95,
98,NT, and ME. Get a grip on yourself and figure it out, your a programmer aren't you.

Joe

IP:

DrWho
posted January 03, 2001 03:08 PM            
Ummm I beleive I said "former" programmer ...
And I don't know how to fix it myself, I clik
on the Dx-BALL2 installation exe and I IMMEDIATELY get the error I previously mention. No hints, No clues ..... It just won't install.

Thank you for your help!

IP:

LDA
Administrator
posted January 03, 2001 04:04 PM            
DX-Ball 2 should install with no problems, and is a full win32 app....

....dll files are often hidden by the OS to protect them from tampering....

The "missing ...dll" message usually just means that the installer can't find the pathway to the .dll it needs....

The problem usually stems from moving files from their original location....A fresh download/install will usually fix this.

A warm reboot might also be needed to "clear" the OS of bad memories

Jim

IP:

joemyers
posted January 03, 2001 05:10 PM            
One other thing that might help is if you are running any kind of NORTON product, or any virus software you might try disabling them while installing. Also check your tray and unload background programs that are running that you don't need.

Joe

IP:

LDA
Administrator
posted January 04, 2001 02:41 AM            
Thanks for the extra comments.... While we're on the topic, in addition to what owners might add, newer computers seem to come loaded with extra utilities... These "helpers" tend to be more trouble than they are worth...

Jim

IP:

GoldAnt_Number1
posted January 04, 2001 01:18 PM            
That sorta happened to me on the 1.5 tm demo.;( I downloaded it with gozilla and it just switched from site to site. grrrrrrrrr. It was a bad download ;(. A really bad download.

IP:

DrWho
posted January 04, 2001 03:05 PM            
First let me say thanx alot for your help, I VERY much appreciate everyone's input....I am dying to get this game to work on my own machine, I have to go over a friends house to play, this is simply unacceptable! After following Jim's advice I disabled NORTON AV and I DID get past the missing AUDIOW32.DLL error, but now I am getting an error saying "UNABLE TO FIND NEEDED GRAPHICS" I am not running from a bad shortcut this is still clicking on the dxball2.exe installation exe.
FYI I have a GeForce2 GTS video card with the LATEST detonators(3) installed. I run my desktop at 1600x1200x16 85 mhz refresh rate...

IP:

DrWho
posted January 05, 2001 04:59 PM            
I FINALLY got it working under Windoz 2000, WHEW! I was not sure it would work there for awhile, Joe and Jim and any others who responded in this thread, Thanx Alot, U guys are the best, keep up the good work!

Woo Hoo, now I can play on my OWN system !

IP:

DrWho
posted January 05, 2001 05:00 PM            
I FINALLY got it working under Windoz 2000, WHEW! I was not sure it would work there for awhile, Joe and Jim and any others who responded in this thread, Thanx Alot, U guys are the best, keep up the good work!

Woo Hoo, now I can play on my OWN system !

IP: