|
Author Topic:   4 board limit
LDA
Administrator
posted May 29, 2000 05:53 PM            
It seems odd to me that people who claim to be fans of LDA and DX-Ball 2 would be demanding that we give away free access to our programs, as this would undermine our ability to stay in business and make it harder for us to create new products.

Imagine this example...say a restaurant has a great view and terrific food, such that the customers thank the owners and tell them what a wonderful experience they had. Now if those same customers then turn around and say..."OK, now that we've thanked you, we have some demands....The view is so great that we want you to let us bring our own food and sit at your tables, and if you don't let us sit for free, we will make a fuss, stand around outside, sneak in when we can and generally make things difficult for your business."...Well, you can imagine what would happen to this restaurant...It would likely go out of business, or be forced to upset those customers by insisting that they purchase food while eating and enjoying the restaurant atmosphere.

This analogy can be loosely applied to LDA.

We do run a business, and aside from the personal loss to us as a family, Seumas' death has forced us to hire a number of programmers with the result that our costs have gone up. ...and as we plan to stay in "business", we must deal with these demands for free access to our product code in a "business like manner"...

Now to be specific about DX-Ball 2, back on August 18th, 1999 Seumas posted

"I know we said we'd have the new DX-Ball 1.3 with support for more boards out by now. Sorry about that! Tread Marks development (and some other real world things I won't bore you with) has been taking all our time lately."

Now, as everyone now knows, those other "real world things" that Seumas referred to, were that he was dying of cancer and having difficulty working as a result of chemotherapy.

Current LDA observations, comments and plans...

First...the four board limit allows players to create sets of four personal boards, which should satisfy the needs of those who want to create a few personal boards for birthdays or other occasions.

Second...as LDA has not released an editor of its own, we have decided not to try to block the other editors that have been created. This does not mean that we endorse these editors, or that we recognize the quality of the code or the end products to be up to LDA standards. It is obvious that we can't help with any problems that players have while using these editors or board-packs created by these editors.

Third...as an interesting observation, if these third party editors were friendly to LDA, only allowing four board sets to be created, then the complaints would be directed at the makers of these editors rather than at LDA.... Now that would be a change

Fourth...LDA is 100% opposed to any attempt to break the four-board limit in DX-Ball 2. We will be asking sites to remove any instructions, reference or links to breaking the DX-Ball 2 code with a hex editor, specifically to break the four-board limit.

Sites that refuse to correct these situations can only be seen as pirate sites, and are responsible for posts on their sites after being dutifully notified.

Finally...after our new programmers get settled in, we will discuss whether or not to create or release a new version of DX-Ball 2...

Jim

IP:

L33t
posted June 04, 2001 04:47 PM         
:lol I can't actually believe you are accusing people of theft and piracy.

DX-ball 2 is a stolen idea from an old Amiga game called "Megaball".
If u people here on the board would like some real fun, go find an Amiga 500 and a copy of "Megaball". DX-ball is just a lame conversion for the PC.

[This message has been edited by L33t (edited June 04, 2001).]

IP:

Amiga
posted June 04, 2001 06:05 PM            
L33t,
Yes, Dx-ball is the port of an old Amiga game called 'MegaBall'. Megaball was created my Ed and Al Mackey; with graphics done by Seumas and Wendy McNally. Seumas was the person that ported MegaBall to the PC and DX-Ball was born. I for one thank Seumas for bring one of my favoite Amiga games to the PC.
P.S. I still have my Amiga 500 and Amiga 2000, and use them both.

IP:

Gm Rpr
posted June 05, 2001 02:59 AM         
Jim,
You mentioned that LDA is stricty against breaking the four board limit on DX-Ball 2. Does this mean that other hex editing is okay such as unlimited lives for instance?

kooiman,
You do realize by creating your own patch for DX-Ball 2 and using it, You may have violated LDA's Terms Of Use Agreement.

IP:

Spug
posted June 05, 2001 01:01 PM            
Woah. Good arguments. But hey, Longbow... Wasn't it someone else who made DX-Ball 1? Sorry, I might be messing up.

Would hexing to get unlimited lives mess with LDA earning money? Well, no, but all High Scores made then would be false.

In DX-Ball 2 there seems to be not only a 4-board limit, but also a limit for user-made boards. I tried to make a level set with 4 boards with DXBoard, and I put it in the right directories and so on, but nothing happened...

------------------
Spug
of the Enigma crew

IP:

Amiga
posted June 06, 2001 08:36 PM            
Spug,
You are right. Dx-Ball 1.0 was ported by Michael P. Welch. (Sorry, I forgot that name in my last post.)
So, I was mistaking when I stated that Seumas ported MegaBall to the PC. Michael P. Welch ported MegaBall to the PC. Seumas was a GFX designer for DX-Ball 1.0 .
Before I post any other 'mistakes' I'll check my resourses.

[This message has been edited by Amiga (edited June 06, 2001).]

IP:

Spug
posted June 07, 2001 05:33 AM            
OK, I forgive you.

------------------
Spug
of the Enigma crew

IP:

Gm Rpr
posted June 08, 2001 03:34 PM         
Yes, Using an Unlimited Lives crack would cause scores to be false. However, That would only matter if those scores where to be posted on a scoreboard of some kind. I was just merely trying to point out the fact that it is possible and should be looked into before a version of DX-Ball comes out that supports the sending of scores to a high-score server of some kind.

-= Gm Rpr =-

IP: