|
Author Topic:   Just some ideas ...
Vin Lucentai
posted January 25, 2000 02:04 AM         
Well, I just recently downloaded DX-Ball 2 after a relatively long hunt for a decent Breakout-style game -- and I'm awfully satisfied. However, there are a few ideas that I'd like to mention for future versions:

Game saving: Although people really want to pull mid-game saves, I haven't seen anyone mention the downside of this (either that, or I haven't dug far enough into the boards). Saving, losing, getting a high score, reloading the save, losing, getting the same high score, etc ... can be downright cheap (if other people on the same computer wish to compete for scores). While saving is fairly handy, the save file itself must be deleted upon loading so that no cheap ploys can be made.

Built-in Board Editor: Yup, everyone in the DX-Ball community wants a built-in board editor that can create more than 4 boards. Just had to bring that to mind.

Ability to Obliterate the Last Block: When you're on Normal mode, it becomes awfully hard to nail the last block. From reading old DX-Ball docs, such an option (or cheat) existed. The player shouldn't get points for that block though ...

Enemies: Now -this- probably hasn't received much mention. In some other Breakout-style games, I've seen monsters that can be hit by the ball and knock it into different directions (after receiving at least one hit, they would disappear). Though this could be an option that could be toggled, the question is ... how would they figure into the score system? Hmm.

Well, there's my two cents for today.

IP:

Karel Vanackere
unregistered
posted January 25, 2000 04:29 PM           

[This message has been edited by Karel Vanackere (edited September 16, 2000).]

IP:

Vin Lucentai
posted January 25, 2000 06:54 PM         
Oh, the last few blocks ARE blown up automatically? Guess I haven't played enough DX-Ball ...

Concerning the high-score problem -- if high scores were not reset upon start-up, then if a player managed to hit a really high score and THEN saved (even if saves took place every 5 boards or so) ... that score could be duplicated over and over if the same player lost repeatedly with the same save. Guess I had to clarify that ...

I suppose that scratches my idea of having a lightning bolt power-up that can be kept until the player hits the Space bar or something (when the Space bar is hit, a huge vertical bolt would clear out the entire row above the paddle). Hehe.

:Edit ideas:

I dunno if LDA is listening, but a board randomizer option would work fairly well. Some people might believe this wouldn't be fair (if they got a hard board on their first try) though consider this -- if you go over and play almost any current fighting game, would you fight the same list of opponents in every game? Absolutely not. Therefore, a randomizer option would be fair.

[This message has been edited by Vin Lucentai (edited January 26, 2000).]

IP:

Karel Vanackere
unregistered
posted January 28, 2000 12:46 PM           

IP:

Vin Lucentai
posted January 28, 2000 06:49 PM         
Karel -

Oh, I didn't realize that English wasn't your primary language ...

If you're willing to get a third headache (headache number "tres" in Spanish), then read on. Otherwise, let's drop the subject!

All right, let's just say that me, Vin Lucentai, nails 100,000 on the Ultimate set of boards. (I haven't bought any of the 150 board sets, so as of yet ... this couldn't actually happen.)

But right before I nail 100,000 points, I save. I then lose on board 99, and the score will turn out like this:

1 Vin Lucentai 100,000 99
2. Nobody
3. Nobody
4. Nobody
5. Nobody

And so on ....

Then I reload the save, and lose again!

1. Vin Lucentai 100,000 99
2. Vin Lucentai 100,000 99
3. Nobody
4. Nobody
5. Nobody

And I reload/lose ...

1. Vin Lucentai 100,000 99
2. Vin Lucentai 100,000 99
3. Vin Lucentai 100,000 99
4. Nobody
5. Nobody

Obviously, only a complete cheater would really do this. As a matter of fact, I'm in FAVOR of saved games as the benefits outweigh the disadvantages. But there ARE people that might do this!

If you can't understand, that's fine. There's no REAL way to really overcome this; almost EVERY game that can save AND has high scores has this problem. So why did I bring up the subject? I don't know.

IP:

Vin Lucentai
posted January 28, 2000 08:18 PM         
Dunno if LDA's listening (hehe), but would it be possible to add a "Are you sure you want to quit?" option when you hit the ESC key? Block-breakers such as Karel might be pretty angry if someone nailed the ESC key out of the blue.

IP:

Karel Vanackere
unregistered
posted January 29, 2000 02:16 AM           

IP:

justmeinca
posted March 19, 2000 02:13 PM            
makes mental note not to go to Denmark(?) and mess with Karels games!!
Vin, I totally agree on the save option, I think it would be awesome to h ave but people would use it to up their good game scores....although I must admit the idea hadnt ocurred to me until you explained it.

I'm still working on nailing some of the 25 boards...*sigh*
p.s. Karel. my 1 1/2 year old LOVES the escape key damn her....

IP:

Michael P. Welch
posted March 19, 2000 09:51 PM            
The temp save file idea is pretty cool. I may have to add that. Everyone wants a save game, but the ability to replay over and over is bad for the highscore table. This may be the fix.

My 1 1/2 year old daughter loves all keys on the keyboard, mouse, monitor and CPU. She's great for beta testing just about any application. But it's kind of hard to fix that 'power button' bug. Visual C++ has trouble keeping the system running after the power is shut off.

IP:

justmeinca
posted March 24, 2000 07:29 PM            
Michael Welch, as in Michael and Sarah Welch? I love your games....they are awesome, so do my kids (all three, yes the 1 1/2 year old girl screams BALL every time she sees the opening screen, which is often!)

Doing a great job....
Was saddened to hear about Seumas...
Sarah (my real name)

IP:

Svante
posted March 29, 2000 11:13 AM            
Just for the record Sarah, messing up Karels game in Denmark might be a tad bit hard since dutch is spoken in Netherlands and not in Denmark...

Also, in the save game-question: What if you copy the savegame-file between sessions? It shouldn't be possible to continue a saved game more than 1 time.

Svante

IP:

Karel Vanackere
unregistered
posted March 29, 2000 12:22 PM           

IP:

jari
posted March 30, 2000 03:39 AM            
Hi there!

Is this an sollution to your save game problems?

If you want to save the game you do so!
You are on bord 14 and with an score of 45000 points

When you load that game you have saved before the score will reset but not the board!

In that case you could go thru all the bords but with no cheating with scores??

hopefully

Jari Tuomi
Sweden

IP:

Karel Vanackere
unregistered
posted March 30, 2000 05:30 AM           

IP:

J Cubed
posted April 15, 2000 01:39 PM         
Perhaps a way to solve the high score problem would be if a particular score were associated with a save game file.
i.e.

If I played and saved a game on level 17 with one life left and then continued and lost, my score table might come out to be:

code:

Name Score Level
--------------------------------------------
Nillbert Nullingsworth 40,000 0
Nillbert Nullingsworth 35,000 0
J Cubed 32,738 17
Nillbert Nullingsworth 30,000 0
Nillbert Nullingsworth 25,000 0

If I tried again and died at the same place, making the file associate with the score would place the same:
code:

Name Score Level
J Cubed 31,934 17

But if I did better it might change to:
code:

Name Score Level
J Cubed 47,657 24

Of course, since there isn't even a save game option right now, I'm not entirely sure why we're debating this.

------------------
Laziness is the mother of invention.

[This message has been edited by J Cubed (edited April 15, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by J Cubed (edited April 15, 2000).]

IP:

Vin Lucentai
posted April 16, 2000 05:09 AM         
I was attempting to note the drawbacks of a save game option if it was ever implemented -- as Karel once said, "... no, I don't think anybody would stoop this low, just to get his/her name up on some list." If the gamer wants to abuse his/her own entertainment (and possibly the rest of the family's entertainment as well ... ^^), that's their own choice. As far as I'm concerned, not many games contain a solution to this problem -- and if a game actually does have a solution for save games, the game will almost always delete the save file after it is opened. However, this could cause problems should the game crash for some reason.
I seriously doubt resetting the score is worth it. The gamer might as well just leave the game on Pause mode until he/she is ready to come back. =) Unfortunately for me, I can't even run DX-Ball 2 anymore ... the game encounters a crash RIGHT after picking the board. I even tried disabling my newly obtained Norton software too -- I'm not sure whether it's the software that's causing the game to crash. Oh well ... hmm.

IP:

J Cubed
posted April 16, 2000 06:32 PM         
You might try completely un-installing Norton Utilities. I had that, and it always crashed all my programs (I think its crash suppresion program was doing all the crashing). One of my friends suggested that un-installing might help, and it did. You also might try deleting some desktop and taskbar icons, as those use up valuable memory resources.

Has anyone thought of a two-player vs. type thing? It could sort of combine Pong with DX-Ball. You could even dial up to another player. Perhaps if you got the blaster power up, hitting your opponent would shrink their paddle size. Just an idea.

------------------
Laziness is the mother of invention.

IP:

manniac
posted April 17, 2000 10:44 AM            
I don't think Norton is causing the problem. I have Norton System Works running at all times, and it hasn't crashed anything.

Maybe check for the latest audio and video drivers for your hardware?

IP: