Skip navigation

Rome Dev Diary and New Screenshots

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > News > Rome Dev Diary and New Screenshots
Pages 1 2 3
Level 3 Human gamer
Alignment: Lawful evil
Posted on March 30, 2012 at 5:12 am

Siegecraft in Rome will be a little more involved as it will often involve building a nearby fort, connecting supply lines, harvesting wood, building siege equipment, etc. Hopefully this will lead to a more realistic combined arms approach to campaigning.

sound really good to me

We've generally tried to avoid having random enemies appear inside your borders because it kind of runs counter to the concepts of chokepoints and bottlenecks that we've tried to emphasize in Hegemony.

thanks! that is a pain in the ass in so many rbrts games

Level 3 Human Ranger Gamer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on April 3, 2012 at 9:52 am

It's something that's engine-tied, but I would love to see some more "horizon close-ups" in Rome. What I mean by that is that the closer to the ground I get by zooming, the farther the view to the horizon goes. It's just eye-candy, but I think it could add a lot to some battles, even to marching armies - not to mention the terrific zoom it could make when zooming-ing from the Tactical view *o* (I just love the Lock camera on unit button ^^ that game can get really contemplative at times). It could be an optionnal feature, to not load modest PC unecessary.

Level 13 Extraplanar gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on April 3, 2012 at 6:24 pm

It's something that's engine-tied, but I would love to see some more "horizon close-ups" in Rome.

We discussed implementing a free-look camera in Rome that would have allowed views of the horizon, but as you surmised this would require a surprising amount of work on the engine and we just couldn't justify putting our resources into something purely aesthetic when there was so much gameplay stuff we wanted to work on.

Pages 1 2 3