Skip navigation

How do you do it?

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Arcade Games > How do you do it?
Level 8 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on September 25, 2007 at 7:56 pm

:oops: I just purchases Rival Ball and DXball-2 and started playing it. I love both of them. When I posted my score for one of the games I was astonished at how many points most of those listed had. Is there a trick to getting such high scores? I am embarrased with my scores.
Patmaster

Level 9 Human gamer
Posted on September 26, 2007 at 12:49 am

It's called cheating ! , a common occurrence with rb, and dx ball ,i suggest trying to beat your own top score each time you play , getting anywhere near top 100 is futile in the offline game .goodluck

Level 10 Extraplanar Programmer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on September 26, 2007 at 2:08 pm

The high scores page on our site shows the settings people used to get those scores. You'll notice nobody is playing on easy (because you don't get enough points that way) and everybody is playing with repeat boards on, so they can keep playing until they run out of balls (instead of being forced to stop once the board set is over).

Level 10 Human gamer
Posted on September 26, 2007 at 2:19 pm

The high scores page on our site shows the settings people used to get those scores. You'll notice nobody is playing on easy (because you don't get enough points that way) and everybody is playing with repeat boards on, so they can keep playing until they run out of balls (instead of being forced to stop once the board set is over).
Rick if i have promission to correct you, the game plays 40 boards after that its auto game over i believe.

Posted on September 26, 2007 at 2:55 pm

Ah, yes, you're correct Nitro.

Actually, it lets you play through the board set ten times, so the demo pack will be 40 boards, but the full board packs will be more.

Level 9 Human gamer
Posted on September 26, 2007 at 3:44 pm

fairdinkum !!! you guys kid yourselves ,random boards ,repeat boards,repeat balls,double balls on bloody 8 balls,through balls with multipliers on the hard level over 500 boards and you still wouldnt get anywhere near the top ten , cmon rick i picked you for someone a little more clever than that ,,,(wait i get it :) you've a gamesites reputation to protect )) anyhow i maintian it's called cheating

Posted on September 26, 2007 at 5:42 pm

We have no evidence that the scores on our site were achieved by cheating. All the scores on our site are technically achievable, and there's a pretty huge range of scores. For instance, on the Launch set, the highest score is 1517453, and the 100th score is 588493, that's an entire order of magnitude! If they were cheating, wouldn't all the scores be close to the highest score?

The problem is that there's a lot of players going through the single-player game, and they have a lot of practise and a lot of patience. If you look at those same scores, you'll notice it took Harris Albert three years of solid playing to improve his score from 1090585 to 1517453.

Level 10 Human wizard
Alignment: Good
Posted on September 26, 2007 at 7:14 pm

Not all scores that enter the system are legitimate though. In fact I currently notice four offending scores (below this paragraph) on the table that I didn't even report before this post. Offending scores are those I clearly know were posted using a hacked version of Rival Ball. Most scores I do consider sufficent, but some scores are offending scores.

* Full (demo): 1000277 - Medium Board 1
* Split (demo): 95712381 - Easy Board 40 (Repeat, Random)
* Split (demo): 60006240 - Easy Board 3
* Split (demo): 1018039 - Easy Board 4

Posted on September 26, 2007 at 7:36 pm

Ah yes, those scores were achieved by cheating, and CSY is always good at pointing them out to me so I can delete them.

Level 7 Human gamer
Posted on September 27, 2008 at 8:19 am

yess..a most of that scores are offending score.............and becouse of that..they are not displayed.........

Level 10 Human wizard
Alignment: Good
Posted on September 27, 2008 at 11:14 am

Those four scores are already deleted... but one more offending score appeared in the mean time.

* RB Equalizeral's top score (185899598 through 40 boards on Medium difficulty, with repeat and random boards)

Posted on September 30, 2008 at 3:52 am

Fixed.

Level 10 Human gamer
Posted on September 30, 2008 at 6:13 pm

fairdinkum !!! you guys kid yourselves ,random boards ,repeat boards,repeat balls,double balls on bloody 8 balls,through balls with multipliers on the hard level over 500 boards and you still wouldnt get anywhere near the top ten , cmon rick i picked you for someone a little more clever than that ,,,(wait i get it :) you've a gamesites reputation to protect )) anyhow i maintian it's called cheating

I'm sure you're aware that Harris, and many of the others in the top ranking would never be caught using anything other than the shortest paddle, and the fastest ball--singular-as multiples would cause the possibility of losing perfect score bonus.
Fire and Ice balls would also be verboten, as well as anything that would clear the board any faster than a brick at a time.
That was how it was done in the old days.
Anything else would be, well, not sporting.
Hats off to those with the patience.

Oh, and Hi !
:wink: