Skip navigation

All our games are now Vista Compatible!

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > News > All our games are now Vista Compatible!
Pages 1 2
Level 10 Extraplanar Programmer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on May 28, 2007 at 10:23 pm

We've gone through almost our entire library of games and made sure they're all Vista-compatible! This fixes a few Vista-only bugs, while also making sure that all the games work properly in the new Games Explorer and Media Center.

This was a bit more work than you might expect. If you're a game developer (or aspiring game developer) and you're looking for some code or information about how to do this, we've written up a fair bit about it here, where you can also find a plug-in for the NSIS Install System that will do most of the heavy-lifting for you.

Oh, and be sure to click on the image above and browse through a few of our new images. We had a bit of fun with the Vista ads in our local mall!

For those interested, these are the new versions of each game:

DX-Ball 2 - 1.3.2
Rival Ball - 1.5.5
Rival Ball Tournament - 1.0.5
Stone Cutter - 1.0.2
Triangle Trifle - 1.1.2
Vortiball - 1.1.4
Tread Marks - 1.6.1

Level 9 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on May 28, 2007 at 10:25 pm

RBT 1.0.5 produces a RegCreator.exe error when trying to register it!

Posted on May 28, 2007 at 10:35 pm

Hey ckit, email me with some more details?

Level 9 Human gamer
Posted on May 28, 2007 at 10:40 pm

Done :)

Oops forgot to mention I'm running Windows XP Pro 32-bit fully patched (partly thanks to AutoPatcher)

Level 9 Human gamer
Posted on May 28, 2007 at 10:54 pm

The registration information is correctly recorded in the registry, it's just this new RegCreator.exe is having problems reading it!

Could we change the registration system to be more like Rival Ball's?

Level 9 Human gamer
Posted on May 28, 2007 at 11:11 pm

Ok, I've downloaded shorter versions of the REG filenames and while I still get the error in the screenshots I sent you, RBT is now registered!

Thank you!

Level 9 Human gamer
Posted on May 28, 2007 at 11:37 pm

Nope, the registration isn't holding when you quit RBT altogether and reload it's unregistered again!

Posted on May 28, 2007 at 11:38 pm

A slightly new version of the installers for the games that need registration have been uploaded, and hopefully they'll fix this problem. We've got a copy of Vista 64-bit in the mail, so I'll be able to get more debugging done then!

Level 9 Human gamer
Posted on May 28, 2007 at 11:43 pm

Yes, these newer versions seem to fix the problem nicely! (I'm calling them 1.0.5a)

Thanks again :)

Posted on May 28, 2007 at 11:46 pm

Thanks for the bug report >:)

Level 9 Human gamer
Posted on May 29, 2007 at 1:10 am

One other thing, the freeware board sets appear to be missing from the Registered version of RBT!
They were available in v1.0.2 but not in v1.0.5, any chance they could be re-included?

To Other Players:
These new versions appear to store their settings in C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Longbow Digital Arts which means you can no longer run multiple copies of Rival Ball. I love it :)

Posted on May 29, 2007 at 4:18 am

That would be a good idea, wouldn't it?

It would have worked to simply install the demo as well, but since it's such a good idea, I've updated the installer for the full version >:)

Level 9 Human gamer
Posted on May 29, 2007 at 4:23 am

Thanks once again, I appreciate it :)

Level 10 Human gamer
Alignment: Chaotic evil
Posted on May 29, 2007 at 9:21 am

Problem... after upgrading to the new version, I can't seem to get into Campaign mode without it erroring out and crashing.

Level 9 Human gamer
Posted on May 29, 2007 at 9:25 am

jujaga, is this RBT or Tread Marks?

Level 10 Human gamer
Posted on May 29, 2007 at 3:04 pm

Oops... I forgot to type in RBT... phoridian slip... durr...
I tried copying a memory dump, but I guess it didn't work out correctly.
I can confirm that it is repeatable on my end, so either it's my computer at fault or maybe there's something in the coding. Either way, when it errors, it references itself as the error... rb tournament.exe. The error happens when i click on campaign mode and it loads the screen. It does load the screen but right afterwards it errors. It's as descriptive as I can make it for now...

Posted on May 29, 2007 at 5:19 pm

Ah, this is why I released on Monday instead of Friday.

Jujaga, make sure you uninstalled and reinstalled RBT properly (the new RBT will run the old uninstaller as long as you agree). If you did, then email me:
* Which version of Windows you're running
and
* An exact list of what you clicked on to get to the error, and the error message it gives you.
Sorry for the bumps.

Level 10 Human gamer
Posted on May 29, 2007 at 6:38 pm

I've posted a PM to you. After doing a bit of other testing around, I think the problem may be with the frame rate counter in the game and that it somehow conflicts with the campaign mode when it's enabled. It appears to work fine when there is no counter.

Level 9 Human gamer
Posted on May 30, 2007 at 1:06 am

You're not suppose to play games with DirectX's frame counter enabled all the time, it's only there for diagnostic purposes!

Level 10 Human gamer
Posted on May 30, 2007 at 1:17 am

True, but even so, the diagnostics are there for paranoid people like me who like to have every aspect of their computer the way they want it... but that's not the point.
My main point is that the counter apparently is the source of crashing in the campaign mode... at least on my computer to my knowledge. Now, for being a diagnostic, it isn't supposed to interfere with the actual game itself, but it is obviously having some unwanted side effects. The reason I raised this issue up is because it appears to be a bug in the coding which did not exist in the 1.0.2 version. I know there are people out there who love to see what their frame rate is and are completely obsessed about it, like I am. It isn't a bad thing to know the performance of the computer at the moment, but again, this was only raised because of a bug issue.

Pages 1 2