This topic is 3 pages long:   1  2  3  |
Author Topic:   Seumas died today
LDA Jim
Administrator
posted March 21, 2000 07:54 PM            
It is a tragic loss to us as a family ....Seumas died at 2PM eastern time today... Tuesday March 21st.

IP:

Kevin Hawkins
posted March 22, 2000 12:04 AM            
I just wanted to send my condolences to your family. While none of us can imagine your family's feeling of loss, I do know that the game development community as a whole has lost a great person, a great mind, and a great mentor. His accomplishments are an inspiration to conquer the unconquerable and to tread the impossible. May we all remember Seumas throughout our lives as a prime example of what it means to be human.

Kevin Hawkins
http://www.gamedev.net

[This message has been edited by Kevin Hawkins (edited March 22, 2000).]

IP:

ghowland
unregistered
posted March 22, 2000 01:43 AM           
I just wanted to give my condolences to you guys and tell you that Im really going to miss not being about to spend more time with Seumas.

I put up a memorial page for him on gamedev with a link to this page as well.
http://www.gamedev.net/community/memorial/seumas/

He'll be missed, and he's been an inspiration for a lot of us. The copy of Tread Marks he gave me is now sitting between my monitors so I can look at it while working, like my own titles, for motivation and support.

-Geoff

IP:

Shawn
posted March 22, 2000 02:26 AM            
When I read this on flipcode I thought it was a joke, but to my dismay it has turned out to be true. The Anarchy Arts team would like to wish the Mcnally's our deepest condolences, and best wishes.

Sincerely,

Shawn

IP:

Sean L. Palmer
posted March 22, 2000 03:06 AM            
I'm gonna miss that guy. He always had good stuff to contribute to discussions, he was always helping people out with code and ideas. I wish there were more like him.

My condolences to the family.

IP:

Mad Keith V
posted March 22, 2000 03:33 AM            
My sincerest condolences to the family.

He will live on with the great work that he has done.

IP:

Axe
posted March 22, 2000 03:48 AM            
Seumas will be missed. As the others have said below, Seumas was a great guy, and a wonderful mentor. Axe Software would like to send condolences to the family and friends of Seumas.

IP:

kurtm
posted March 22, 2000 05:41 AM         
I didn't know Seumas personally, but as a successful independent developer who gave back so much to the development community, his memory and work will always inspire us. All the best to his family and friends in this difficult time.

Kurt Miller
http://www.flipcode.com

[This message has been edited by kurtm (edited March 22, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by kurtm (edited March 22, 2000).]

IP:

Cthulhu
posted March 22, 2000 07:38 AM            
I didn't know Seumas, so I don't really know what to write. Creating game like Tread Marks with 3 years experience he must have been the best programmer I've ever known of. Now I appreciate all the help he gave me even more.

IP:

TimSmith
posted March 22, 2000 08:53 AM            
He will be missed.

Tim Smith

IP:

Kent
posted March 22, 2000 09:13 AM            
Every time I walk away from my computer for a few minutes, Particle Fire starts up...and I'm reminded again of Seumas.

He was a good friend and will be sorely missed.
http://www.cognitoy.com/aboutus/seumas.htm

------------------
-- Kent

IP:

pagan
posted March 22, 2000 09:47 AM            
I've never had the honor or meeting Seumas personally, but his work has been greatly inspirational for me. When I first came upon his work, I was blown away by the fact that here was someone taking on the world with an independent game, not only with amazing technical skill, but also willing to share his time and knowledge with the community. I hope his spirit lives and this community of like minded people not only surives but grows in his memory.

I would like to offer sincerest condolences to your family. He will be greatly missed.

Matthew 'pagan' Baranowski.

IP:

Zaxxon41
posted March 22, 2000 10:42 AM            
Seumas was not only a great programmer, but he was a great person as well. He was one of the most hard-working people I've ever known, simultaneously managing to handle all programming tasks for LDA, maintain and contribute heavily to his programming message boards, and personally respond to every email he received. He was truly a bright light in this not-so-bright world, and he'll be sorely missed.

------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Zack Schiel
President - Stratos Group, Inc.
www.stratosgroup.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

IP:

Cybermind
posted March 22, 2000 11:17 AM            
To Seuman's Family, Phillipe, Jim, and Wendy:

Although nothing can be said to fill your loss at this difficult time, I will say this from the heart.

The fact that Tread Marks was a full familly effort, with each of you supporting and helping out Seumas with it's development is an inspiration for us all, as families, gamers, even budding and seasoned developers alike. Seeing.. knowing that this kind of strength and fortitude of spirit.. family unity.. makes all of us proud.. It's a strong testament to life.

Our best wishes are with you.

------------------

Alex "Cybermind" Redman
CEO, Zen Tao Interactive

IP:

gtbass
posted March 22, 2000 11:44 AM            
Like so many others, I too would like to convey my deepest condolences to the McNally family. I always thought I'd have the chance to meet Seumas in person some day, and I regret that opportunity has been stolen from myself and so many other admirers of his work and his contributions to our industry. For those of you who may not have seen it, PC Accelerator magazine praised TreadMarks this month, just another of many reminders of Seumas' brilliance. In a way Seumas has achieved the immortality sought by all artists, through the indelible mark of his creation.

Sincere Regards,
Garett Bass

IP:

BPB
posted March 22, 2000 12:00 PM         
Deepest condolences to all of those close to Seamus. He was ovbiuosly a very special person who had talent, ambition, and a desire to share with others. What we should do is remember how fragile life is, how blessed we are to have people we love, and strive to take some of those remarkable qualities that Seamus had make make them apart of us.

IP:

Drilian
posted March 22, 2000 12:08 PM            
I'm very sorry for your loss, and I can only imagine what he was going through. Seumas was (and still is) my personal hero, and that of my friends, for proving that you don't have to be a billion dollar game company to make great products. Seumas was an inspiration to us all, and he will be sadly missed.

Joshua Jersild

IP:

mason
posted March 22, 2000 12:22 PM            
My deepest condolences to Jim, Wendy, and Phillipe.

Mason McCuskey
Spin Studios www.spin-studios.com

IP:

Tane
posted March 22, 2000 12:44 PM            
I never knew Seumas, but with anyone it is sad to hear of his death, especially befoerr his time. With his death, he does leave behind a legacy though to inspire independent developers to get down and make games, espcially with wining 3 awards with Tread Marks.

Our feeling to go out the the family and friends, from the team at Crytek (www.crytek.com).

IP:

HBNW
posted March 22, 2000 12:45 PM            
Well, after all of the heartfelt and touching words that others have posted here, I don't know what I can add that hasn't already been said... But the character, talent, enthusiasm, and kindness that Seumas showed all of us was always inspiring and encouraging. I hope that his spirit lives on (indeed, I believe it will) in the fans and friends that he's made through his creations.

My heart is heavy with his passing; and I wish there was some way that we could help the McNally's through this difficult time. May they have my sincerest condolences - he was a truly unique individual - one-of-a-kind... and he will be missed.

Take care,

--Noel Wade

IP:

kegie
posted March 22, 2000 12:52 PM            
I wish to send my condolences to LDA and Seumas' family. He was a great inspiration to all of us.

------------------
Kristoffer Gronlund
kegie@acc.umu.se

IP:

PinBender
posted March 22, 2000 12:56 PM            
My most sincere condolences on your loss. Meeting Seumas at GDC made me wish I'd gotten to know him sooner, and now I wish I'd gotten to know him longer.

Kevin Francis
Monolith Productions

IP:

Diragor
posted March 22, 2000 02:50 PM            
I only knew Seumas from his posts on this board, and he seemed to be an incredibly helpful, bright and talented person. He certainly was an inspiration, as many people on this board would agree. Please accept my heartfelt condolences; my thoughts are with your family.

Ryan Eibling

IP:

XenoPhage
posted March 22, 2000 02:58 PM            
The loss of Seumas is a true tragedy. My condolences to the family and to all of his friends.

Seumas, you will be missed.

------------------
------------------------------
Jason 'XenoPhage' Frisvold
Engine/Technology Programmer
Blue Moon Studios
friz@corp.ptd.net
------------------------------
"Something mysterious is formed, born in the silent void. Waiting alone and unmoving, it is at once still and yet in constant motion. It is the source of all programs. I do not know its name, so I will call it the Tao of Programming."

IP:

Gregory L. Lipscomb
posted March 22, 2000 03:00 PM            
my deepest condolences to the mcnally family.

i emailed him once asking his opinion about
an electronic software distributor.
it was almost a month before he replied.
in his reply he profusely apologized for
taking so long to reply and gave me his
opinion about the distributor. we now use
this distributor.

i have always been a fan of the games he's made.(i still play the DX Ball games)
he was an awesome programmer who knew his stuff and explained it in plain english.

the indie scene will definitely miss him.

------------------
GarageDeveloper International
http://www.garagedeveloper.com/
GLIPS Entertainment, Inc.
http://www.glipsent.com/

IP:

This topic is 3 pages long:   1  2  3