This topic is 3 pages long:   1  2  3  |
Author Topic:   Seumas died today
Robert Holm
posted April 06, 2000 04:43 PM            
Hi,

I learned today about the death of Seumas and my heart dropped.

I decided to check Carmack's .plan today and scrolled down and saw the news. It was very powerful and very saddening and an inspiring impact to read and learn more about him and what he was about as a person. My heartfelt prayers go out to Seumas. I didn't know him but he was a part of something close to me that I now feel honored to have him share.

On 07-07-1999 Seumas joined my website called Developer's Corner. He listed his interests as: "OpenGL, procedural textures, terrain rendering, classic games, fire effects". He made 3 posts to our forums in a thread he started called "Doing the self publishing thing online".

I scoured the archives of our now shut down website to find his posts to put up here for eternal rememberance for the family.

<b>-------------
Author: Longbow
Topic: Doing the Self-Publishing thing on-line
Posted: July 07, 1999 10:34 PM

Howdy.

I was wondering if anyone else here has or is thinking about the prospects of self-publishing high quality game titles on-line, bypassing ordinary publishers completely?

We've had quite a bit of success selling DX-Ball 2 completely electronically on-line, most recently from a custom secure web store set up by Digital river. Even my little screen saver, Particle Fire, has sold more than I ever expected it would. Based on this success we're planning on marketting Tread Marks on-line, at least initially.

Just a few quick numbers others without any experience in these areas may be interested in: DiscMakers will manufacture 10,000 ***el-cased CD-Roms with all color printing for $0.92 per CD. A ***el-cased CD-Rom INSIDE A RETAIL BOX with all printing is just $1.49 per CD+Box. On-line retailers that will set up a custom web store for you (such as Digital River) will give you roughly (on average) at least 80% of the RETAIL price on-line for electronically or physically delivered products.

You can come to your own conclusions based on those numbers.

Anyone else?

------------------
-- Seumas McNally, Lead Programmer, Longbow Digital Arts
-- http://www.LongbowDigitalArts.com/seumas/</b>

<b>-------------
Posted: July 07, 1999 11:23 PM

Okay, not to discourage anyone from replying to this thread, but I should mention that I had nothing to do with asterisking-out the letters j, e, and w at the start of the word "***el" (as in the CD-Rom case, and the singer). This message board appears to have a really, really over-zealous word filter. And what's wrong with the word ***, anyway?
Ack. Back to your regularly scheduled topic.

------------------
-- Seumas McNally, Lead Programmer, Longbow Digital Arts
-- http://www.LongbowDigitalArts.com/seumas/</b>

-------------
Author: Sunset
Posted: July 08, 1999 08:26 AM

They want to make sure no racial stuff is said. It's way too overzealous, though. The moderater should edit out any racial stuff that's said.
------------------
Sunset

-------------
Author: Robert Holm
Posted: July 08, 1999 10:50 AM

Jewel case

Ok it's been fixed. I forgot the brackets around the word.

-------------
Author: Staggan
Posted: July 18, 1999 01:48 PM

We have been talking about this recently, but in a slightly different manner. What kind of quantities have sold, if thats not an impertinent question.

We have already had a budget title published and are looking to do the next ones ourselves.

<b>-------------
Posted: July 18, 1999 04:15 PM

We haven't tried selling a boxed product on-line yet, so I can't say how well it will go, though with next day delivery provided by a place like Digital River I don't expect many problems.

As for DX-Ball 2, which is sold for electronic delivery only, I'll say we've sold "thousands" and that Longbow Digital Arts is profitable. One thing that may be of interest as well, is that about 90% of our sales are on-line, and only about 10% through the mail.

Seumas
</b>

-----------

Touches me to know we had a person of his calibur and character among us, he obviously held the highest values of quality development and gaming.

Thanks for listening, you will be missed.

Robert Holm
(Ex)Founder
Developer's Corner: The Learning Forumô

IP:

Vampyre
posted April 07, 2000 02:06 PM         
My name is Jon Corfield.
I found out about Seumas' story through John Carmacks .plan update. I sadly didnt know Seumas but I felt a need to extend my simpathy. He was obviously a great man repected and liked by all that knew him.

IP:

Maldo
posted April 08, 2000 05:15 PM            
I have found a new hero today. Best of luck to you Seumas. And to the family I send my deepest condolences.

maldoror.

IP:

Robert Holm
posted April 17, 2000 02:41 PM            
Seumas is definitely a development hero. As well as a inspiration to all, as a man and as a developer.

IP:

100%carnage
posted April 18, 2000 08:03 PM            
I am very very sorry about Seumas' death... I read John Carmacks plan file and he sounded like a wonderful person

-=100%carnage

IP:

Hamish
posted April 23, 2000 10:24 AM            
Stumbled on John Carmacks .plan, I am struck by the news.
Just wanted to say that I am very saddened by this.
I'd like to condole his family on this great loss.
An early demo of TM gave me days of joy.

Hang in there.

Hamish

IP:

jester
posted April 26, 2000 11:44 AM            
I'm writing to send my condolences to Seumas's family and friends.
Although I have only recently found Longbow and Seumas's work I was impressed by its power and grace.
The tips he gave about ROAMing and other aspects of programming have been invaluable to me and I was shocked to hear of his death.

IP:

larryr
posted April 28, 2000 10:39 AM            
dx2ball is the only game I've felt worth the $'s to upgrade. I've told a number of friends about it and they think it's the best! I only knew Seumas as a name; now I know him as a person, who will be missed by all. I'll think of him each time I fire up the game. May God bless his family & friends at this time of loss.

------------------
~LarryR~

IP:

Iron Tiger
posted April 29, 2000 11:11 PM            
I didn't know anything about Seamus or details about Longbow until today, when a friend had referred me to John Carmack's .plan. I had been following Treadmarks' development at Voodoo Extreme and 3DFiles. I downloaded 2 of the tests and the demo and was really impressed. The amount of power it was able to pull from my puny TNT was astounding. I liked to watch demo mode with the options menu up so I could see the particle fire over the game. John Carmack was an idol of his, but his work puts him at Carmack's level in my book. Treadmarks felt so id, that I found myself trying to enter id cheats. Seamus and the Longbow team were innovators, in an industry that is lacking in favor of sure-things. For an innovator and an independent to make a name for themselves, is truly admirable and all gamers and programmers that want to see something new or better in gaming should take this as an example that you can make a difference. Seamus left a mark on this world, and it will be evident in the work of those that he has inspired.

------------------
Submit to Donimation.
Global Donimation.
http://www.networkone.net/~mgarcia

IP:

tokai
posted April 30, 2000 07:55 PM            
/modified 2002-10-3/

[This message has been edited by tokai (edited October 03, 2002).]

IP:

sapsztor
posted May 02, 2000 06:39 PM            
My condolences to the family and to all of his friends.

------------------
--PS

IP:

nerdx86
posted May 17, 2000 08:09 AM            
Hello,

I wish also to send my sincere wishes and sympathy to the family. I, unfortunately, didn't come across his work until after his death, but I can say that I haven't ever seen a better combination of skill, vision, and just plain old good-heartedness then what I see from his work and his contributions to one of the things he loved.

Those of us who have lost immediate family understand your pain personally. If you ever need to talk or need anything, drop me an email.

IP:

UnknownProblem
posted May 17, 2000 09:01 PM            
I have just been introduced to LongBow and the wonderful work done by Seumas, however, I have also just been introduced to the knowledge of his passing. I feel at a lost to not have known him as many of you have after reading all the wonderful things you have said. I only hope his name lives on in the products he created.

IP:

JonL
posted August 02, 2000 03:38 AM            
I've been to Seumas's memorial site off and on now for several months. I, too, have Hodgkin's Disease. I was first diagnosed in Feb '97, very close to when Seumas was first diagnosed. I, too, am a programmer, though just a number-crunching corporate guy. Seumas's story is a real inspiration to me. He lived life in spite of the disease. He must have had a very big heart. My condolences.

IP:

Dreamer
posted December 03, 2000 05:32 AM         
Well, once more I want to add to this thread -
In memory of Seumas McNally I want to state that I and every single person I regularly converse with (at least those who understand anything of his work) - do consider Seumas a hacker. This is the most positive and appreciating sense that this word retains down to this day. (I think the reasons are obvious.)
And I still remember the single time we played TM against each other... Chatting all the time, always discussing additions he thought sensible or I thought neccessary, sharing a good laugh now and then. If I ever wished for a person to be my friend the very moment I got to know him, it was Seumas.
One last fact remains:
I think Seumas would be proud of his family - the work they are doing honors his. Keep it up.

IP:

DjAttitude
posted December 04, 2000 04:09 PM            
I feel sad about Seumas passing away. I feel that a part of the programming community has lost one of its great programmers of all time...

IP:

Unforseen Chaos
posted December 17, 2000 04:32 PM            
I am sorry. I know how it is to lose someone so close to you. sorry

IP:

bronney
posted August 13, 2001 12:26 AM            
I am a nobody w.r.t. game development. Though I program with flash, I failed both first year courses during university and couldn't continue on. And I was too lazy to take up C, and here I am. I am not complaining. But always, wanted to make games. Games that grew up with me, the Ultima series, commander keen, superFly, and to see games growing up, thru the monochrome years to GeForce Ultra.

Games were things that inspires me, though my parents disagree, if it weren't for games, I wouldn't know anything about computers. And wouldn't be working in the place where I was born again after immigrating to toronto. Those QEMM days, those 2400 bps days, those config.sys days.

I hear the news today, from reading John Carmack's messages on .plan

And just want to pay Seumas tributes. And to tell his family that, someone, from far far away, actually give a damn.

I do not know what else to say, but I know Seumas can feel, whatever I wanna say to him. Keep up the good work.

And thank you for yet another inspiration, game developers!

------------------
-bron

IP:

CaRdTriCksTeR
posted August 18, 2001 10:55 PM            
10 Print "Seumas McNally"
20 GOTO 10

RUN

'nuff said

------------------

[This message has been edited by CaRdTriCksTeR (edited August 18, 2001).]

IP:

. Cr@b .
posted February 06, 2002 04:30 PM            
I know, this comes REALLY late... I am very sorry about Seumas. I never saw Seumas alive, i never talked with him. I never meeted him, he didn't know who i am. I don't know Seumas in person, but still i know how good programmer he was, how great guy he is. Always the best guy is that who shares with others. Thank you, Seumas, for really great games (i still play dxball), and all other helpful stuff. My deepest sympathy for the family and friends, i think i even can't realize what a loss it is for you. (Sorry about my crappy english).

IP:

JAMYGDALA
posted April 30, 2002 09:07 PM            
I noticed an award named after Seumas and recognized the name as belonging to a very young man of very mature bearing who played Hundred Years War online with me on GEnie ten years ago. Seumas always impressed me as being exceptionally gifted in his understanding of both things and people--a rare combination. I knew he had been interested in becoming a programmer and was not at all surprised to see that he had had an award named after him. I was also terribly saddened to then discover why. He will always be the majestic Duc de Monaco of HYW in my heart. What a tragic loss.

IP:

cool_alok
posted May 17, 2002 10:53 PM            
I am felt soory when i heard abt seumans,he was great developer , i want to meeet him ,but all gone in vain, the god has taken him away frm me and other aspiring programmers.

i have full condolence with his family member.let pray his soul rest in peace

IP:

spartan
posted July 15, 2002 11:07 PM            
i didn't know who seumas was until i came here (which was today or yesterday, i cant remember). i saw his programming page and he seemed like a nice guy. everybody was hurt because of his death so he must have been a great person. he wrote one of my favorite (and alot of other people's) computer game (DX Ball 2). we should all try to be more like him, so that it would seem like there are alot of him around.

he still lives on.

------------------
I came. I saw. I fixed everybody's computers.

IP:

Katharine
posted January 07, 2003 05:18 PM         
I've been playing DX Ball for a lonnggg time, and I finally decided to look at the site to see any new boards that were out, when I stumbled upon Seamus' memorial page. I'm very sorry that such a horrid desease had to take a special person, and my condolences to you all. You never realize what things can happen, until it actually occurs.

------------------
on *:join:#:?: { if ( $nick == Katharine } { .amsg EVERYONE RUN, THE IT IS BACK!!!!! | runnnn } }

IP:

This topic is 3 pages long:   1  2  3