This topic is 3 pages long:   1  2  3  |
Author Topic:   Seumas died today
bstach
posted March 22, 2000 04:06 PM            
My heart goes out to the McNally family and all who new Seumas. I did not get to know Seumas beyond the confines of GameDev bulletin boards and the Longbow Digital Arts web site, but I feel that I knew him well through his work. Tread Marks is an incredible accomplishment for someone with his background and says alot about what kind of person Seumas was. I have have been a software developer professionaly for over 5 years now in a non-game development environment and have been pursuing a dream I think many of us shared with Seumas, creating games, and can truly appreciate his accomplishments.

It lightens my heart to know that he had so much support and love from his family and friends during the pursuit of his dreams.

We will all remember you Seumas! For your hardwork, and dedication to your dreams, and to all of us who shared those dreams with you. Thank you for touching all of our lives and may all of your new paths and dreams take you on wonderful new journeys.

IP:

Chris C
posted March 22, 2000 05:10 PM         

I may never have met Seumas, but his dedication to helping others has always been something I have admired and respected. He always took the time to provide helpful and insightful answers to my questions and other people's, something I felt was unique, considering how busy he must have been.

He has given me and so many others so much inspiration - something that I will always remember him for.

My deepest sympathies go out to all his family and friends,

Please take care,

Chris
---
Chris Cookson

IP:

druid
posted March 22, 2000 05:45 PM            
I deeply regret not having been able to meet Seumas in person. I admire the work he has done and respect his accomplishments in the game-development field.
I would like to express my sincere condoleances to his family, that they may have strength to overcome this great loss.

On behalf of the entire Nostalgia and TSG demoteams, our compassion and condoleances,

Michiel Rook

------------------
Druid / Nostalgia / The Solar Group

IP:

mandarin
posted March 22, 2000 05:48 PM         
I'm not eloquent enough to say anything that hasn't been said already, but I want to extend my sincere condolences to the McNally family. I met a few of you at the GDC, and I have to say I was impressed with your drive and enthusiasm. I'm sorry

IP:

Hardy
posted March 22, 2000 06:07 PM            

RIP

IP:

Joerg Brauer aka NuFAN
posted March 22, 2000 06:29 PM            
What Seumas did was impressive and inspiring. His coding was great as his help was. It's hard to hear such a person doesn't exist anymore, although I never met him personally.

The scene is missing you as I am.

IP:

Jeff Lander
posted March 22, 2000 07:14 PM            
After I heard the news, I spent some time looked back through my email remembering. I thought I would share some thoughts.

Seamus first came known to me on the OpenGL programming mailist on the 1st of November, 1998. He was full of energy and enthusiasm as well as a rash of questions about this new terrain game engine he was working on. He quickly became a frequent contributor and participant on all sorts of topics from terrain to the creation of polygon strips. He was a great source of ideas, sample code, and opinions.

At the GDC in March of 1999 we met face-to-face after a talk. He told me of the progress on his game and I talked to him about my work. After he released the first test of Treadmarks in June, 1999, he became one of the resident experts on terrain rendering in the OpenGL programming community. Always willing to share his experiences and ideas, he sparked a great deal of interest and discussion on the topic. I saw Test 2 of Treadmarks in late September of 1999 and knew he and his team had put together something special.

I had the pleasure of being a judge in the Independent Game Festival and while I didn't check out his game in round one, I was not surprised to see it as a round one winner. Treadmarks took the Festival by storm impressing everyone by its great gameplay and level of quality. I was extremely happy to see Seumas accepting the awards at the festival ceremonies.

I was deeply saddened by news of his passing. Like many in the game development community, I had a strong sense of connection with Seumas though we had only met a couple of times in person. His willingness to share his knowledge and show how an independent developer could thrive earned him many friends. We could use so many more like him.

I will miss him greatly and wish his family the very best.
-Jeff

IP:

Klaus Hartmann
posted March 22, 2000 07:51 PM            
I only know Seumas from all his contributions to this message board, and various mailing lists.
But now, after reading all these posts, I realize that he wasn't just an intelligent man who's willing to share his knowledge. He also was a great human, and I really wish I had known him better.

My sincerest condolences to the family.

Klaus Hartmann

IP:

PaloAltoSteve
posted March 23, 2000 01:37 AM            
My heart goes out to your family. You were a very lucky that you to have such closeness in your family. If more families were as loving and together as yours, the world would be a great place to live.

After reading many of the comments posted by others, you must be very proud to have raised such a well-like person. He appears to have been truly a nice and talented person.

My 2 year old son enjoys "playing" the TreadMarks demo while I work on our other computer. Although now, when he does, my heart will be heavy thinking of you. I cannot imagine life without my little boy. I cannot imagine your grief.

Please accept my order for the full TreadMarks software as a small token of my condolences.

I urge everyone to buy a copy in tribute to Seumas.

Steve

IP:

Jase
posted March 23, 2000 05:30 AM            
Seumas was a continual source of inspiration for all of us. His work with procedural textures, and the openess with which he shared his ideas, and programs, was a great help in my own work. I continue to work on my own terrain rendering system, and I will think of Seumas often while I do so.

That Seumas spent so much of his life helping others in the programming community should be an example to us all.

This is a tragic loss, and I extend my heartfelt condolences to Seumas' family at this time.

Jase.

------------------
Jason G Doig
Senior Programmer, Psygnosis London

IP:

Nick Maxwell
posted March 23, 2000 09:31 PM            
We are all going to miss Seumas. His help and inspiration are going to be sorely missed in our community. My condolences go out to his family and friends who have to be going through some truly rough times right now.

Bye Seumas...

Nick Maxwell

IP:

Nightrovr
posted March 24, 2000 12:56 AM            
Seumas' light shone brightly over my family. Not many know that, for all intents and purposes, he saved my marriage at a rocky time. I won't set forth any details here, except to express my deepest thanks to Seumas for being. The world is a much finer place for having known his existence.

Jim and Wendy and Phillipe, the wounds will heal, and the good memories will last forever.

Peace

IP:

ozak
posted March 24, 2000 05:18 AM            
We at Nuke Software offer our condolences.

Even though I never met Seamus I knew him to share his knowledge with other programmers, and that's the mark of a true programmer.

It's very sad that such a young man should die. I know how it is to have someone in your family die prematurely of cancer.
The wounds heal, but it can take a long time and the scar will always be there

IP:

peeet
posted March 24, 2000 10:10 AM         
Jim, Wendy and Phillipe -
My heart goes out to you for your loss. Seumas will be remembered for the pleasure and inspiration he gave to us all!

IP:

ejted
posted March 24, 2000 06:52 PM         
My sincere sympathies for his family and friends.

thank you Seumas, for sharing the dreams and passion with us. may your path be lightened.

Tadej

IP:

jdigital
posted March 27, 2000 05:30 AM            
Aww...

I was just talking to him via e-mail a few weeks or months ago about how totally excellent Particle Fire and DX-Ball 2 were. I also programmed in the same form of BASIC on the Amiga that he did (AMOS Basic), and I thought Scorched Tanks on the Amiga was excellent.

I can't believe he's gone... He'll be missed, that's for sure...

------------------
--
Jonathan Drain

IP:

The Raven
posted March 27, 2000 05:58 AM            
I downloaded Tread Marks before I ever heard of it. Played it, and thought it was a nifty game, but not really my kind of game... I'd never have given it a second look in a store, I tend more toward strategy games.

Then I heard about Seumas on Blue's News, and read about the history of Tread Marks and LDA. Seumas (and the whole LDA family) succeeded in an area where I only have vague dreams and unfocused ambitions. Succeeded spectacularly. The whole idea is so goddamn bittersweet it belongs in a movie or a book, not real life.

I hope you (LDA) can continue to contribute to the always overlooked independant community. I bought Tread Marks, not because it's the best game out, but because you did more with less than any other game I've seen in the last year. You deserved those awards, you deserve my money.

You (the whole family, not just Seumas) are an inspiration to all developers. You did great, you succeeded, and nothing can take that from you.

Raven

------------------
--
Quoth the raven, "Nevermore!"

IP:

JTC
posted March 27, 2000 10:16 AM            
Condolences to all of Longbow Digital Arts. I've been a fan of DX Ball 2, and recently downloaded TreadMarks, and I can say that Seumas' contribution to gaming was exemplary.

I do not now him personally, but I'm certain he will be sorely missed. RIP, Seumas.

Jason Chiu

IP:

jaba
posted March 27, 2000 05:29 PM            
I'd like to offer my condolences to the McNally family. I'm so sorry.

I didn't know Seumas, but I remember waiting in line to talk to him at the GDC. I wandered off before getting the chance. It's strange to think that now I never will.

IP:

Rob Willmore
posted March 27, 2000 05:44 PM            
How strange.

I had never heard of Tread Marks, Long bow, or Seumas until I saw a post by John Carmack today. Carmack sung Seumass praises so well I decided to check this out. I am so sorry for the loss, sometimes I dont understand why the best and brightest are taken from us while the wicked prosper. If theres one thing I can say its that when I saw shots of the game my first reaction was "Badass! I want this!".

What better tribute to a game developer than that? He achieved what he wanted..and its so much more than I can say about most of us.

Cant wait for the game.

IP:

Glynnes
posted March 28, 2000 11:54 PM            
My condolences to Seumas' family. I never knew him, but his talent has brought much enjoyment in the past, and in the years to come, to myself and my family. May God's peace be with you at this time.

------------------
Gerry

IP:

Darkmonk
posted March 29, 2000 08:50 AM            
I would just like to say how deeply sorry I am for the loss of Seumas, I read the story on the .plan update, and I cried, I dont often cry, but I did then.
Seumas was obviously a great person who contributed well to the gaming industry, and to the world. I think he did a great job, and I was amazed that the games you made are a whole family effort!

I am deeply sorry,
May he rest in peace,
Remember, he did play the greatest game ever, LIFE.

------------------
Grahan Balharrie
"DarkMonk"

IP:

Dylan Bruzenak
posted March 30, 2000 02:35 PM         
My colleagues and I wish to offer our respects here. None of us knew Seumas personally, but we all knew of him, through other contacts, and through his work. It is a tragedy that he is gone. He will be missed.

Dylan Bruzenak
Digital Valence Studios

IP:

orion
posted April 04, 2000 10:07 AM            
seumas was a programming contact i had for a long time... he hadn't got online in a long time, and i just didn't have any idea... the loss really does affect me pretty deeply.. total shock.. the game scene has really lost a VERY talented individual, and it's a damn shame

------------------
-orion

IP:

Dreamer
posted April 04, 2000 10:16 AM         
Well, I think I am speaking for most of the TM gamers community - at least for those active on this BBS:
Seumas McNally, you made yourself a shiny new toy and shared it with us other children, never telling us you would most probably not be able to enjoy it for long. Although this is a sad fact and almost like the loss of a close friend, we will play this game in your honour and hope you watch us and take your delight in what we make of it.
We will miss you.
As much as anyone could.

------------------
Hail and kill.

IP:

This topic is 3 pages long:   1  2  3