|
Author Topic:   Questions and Kudos
Jan3b
posted May 02, 2000 02:45 PM         
Hi all, I have a few comments and some questions I hope you can help me out with.

How do you access the board editor that supposedly comes with DXBall2? On DXBall1 the editor is accessible from the main screen. I may want to create some DXBall2 boardsets myself later (time permitting).

If I understand correctly, purchase of a boardpack opens gameplay to more than 4 boards but the editor still limits user-created sets to 4 board. And there's presently no way to combine 4-board sets into larger sets. Do I have that right?

I want to purchase a boardpak now (as soon as I get some input from this message). Is it also correct that any of the packs will unlock the game? I don't want the first pack, Classic boards, because I still play (and love) the original DXBall1 (bless you, Michael Welch). I like the old DXBall1 boards and slightly prefer its gameplay -- it plays differently than DXBall2.1.2 (at least on my PC) in terms of ball, bonus, and paddle behavior. For example, DXBall2.1.2 often kills me or activates other bonus buttons I am trying to avoid, when the button hasn't even touched the paddle! That makes my jaw drop! Grrrrr. But I enjoy the graphics on DXBall2 and other differences. Viva la difference! I play both.

DXBall is the only game that gets regular and extended play at our house. I saw the earlier message about how to break the code limiting gameplay to 4 boards. Well, I have the cheats. So, why would I want to buy Longbow's boardpacks if I can get around it? EASY question, legality and ethics aside. This is one terrific game! LongBow DESERVES to be paid for their work.. So did Michael Welch for DXBall1, for that matter.

The game is free and the boardpacks cheap given the countless hours of pleasure the game provides. How many quality games can you find at your local computer store for the price of a boardpack? Frankly, it is the only game I think is well worth more than the price asked. I want to show my appreciation by supporting boardpack sales. I only waited this long because I thought the new release was imminent and the editor issue would be resolved. As someone who usually downloads only freebies, this says a lot about DXBall! Never thought I would actually WANT to pay for a game. <g>

Appreciate any info anyone can offer.

Jan3b

P.S. Another purely selfish reason to buy the boardpacks is -- if the sample boards are any indicator--they're great boards!
:0

[This message has been edited by Jan3b (edited May 02, 2000).]

IP:

manniac
posted May 02, 2000 06:33 PM            
Sorry Jan3b, purchasing a boardpack does not make it possible to play user-created sets of more than 4 levels. I thought it would, and bought all the gamepacks.

I tried the publicized cheat, but can't get it to work on my PC. Like you, I'd feel better about purchasing a new version that allows more than 4 levels of play....guess we'll just have to wait and see if/when a new version is released.

IP:

larryr
posted May 03, 2000 05:54 PM            
Check out www.dxball.org for a board editor/creator & other stuff

IP:

Jan3b
posted May 04, 2000 02:06 AM         
Thanks much for the link, larryr --- I will check it out!

Gee, Manniac, that really wasn't good news. My question about the 4-board limit actually went to editor capability rather than gameplay. I naively (and wrongly, it seems) assumed that if purchase of a boardpack lifted restrictions, it lifted them on all boards.

Ah well. In fairness, all Longbow can reasonably be expected to do in return for a boardpack purchase is lift restrictions on its own boards. Anything they offer beyond that is pure gravy for us. Obviously user-created boards are in competition with, and siphon sales from, the official boards. That Longbow was even working on a revision to open up full user-board gameplay speaks to their generosity (ala Michael Welch).

‘Course, being fair doesn't mean I like it! Like most DXBall fans, I want more more more. Given the loss Longbow has suffered, DXBall understandably isn't on their minds right now. Guess I will go ahead and place that boardpack order, and, as you said, wait to see what happens down the road.

IP:

Michael P. Welch
posted May 04, 2000 02:42 PM            
FYI- The Classic Board Pack for DX-Ball 2 does have the original 50 boards... but the other 100 (Tribute Set, and Challenge Set) are my best work. I wish there was a demo for The Classic Pack. It deserves one.

IP:

Jan3b
posted May 05, 2000 02:33 AM         
Michael Welch! Whoa! May I fall all over myself thanking you profusely for DXBall 1? To say we love it is the understatement of the last century. I had just located your current email addy and planned to send you an embarrassingly gushy email of gratitude. And I rarely gush, believe me -- DXBall is responsible for this condition. <grin> Okay, I will try to tone it down, but when you set out to please your wife with a computer game, you do good! Real good!

Aside from personal appreciation of the game, I garner a fair amount gratitude for myself simply by passing your game along to my friends and family. It is a foolproof way to make brownie points. They remember that I gave them this great game, and completely overlook my being instrumental in turning them into DXBall junkies! (that works well, doesn't it?)

I was not aware that you designed the rest of the Classic Pack boardset. I will definitely order it, especially given that you consider the new boards in it to be your best work. I can't miss that. Wouldn't you know, I just mailed off payment for Wendy's boards this morning. I meant to buy more boardsets eventually, but now I don't want to wait. See what you did?

Seriously, how nice of you take the time to tell me (and other rabid DXBall fans who are fortunate enough to read this message) about your work on the Classic Pack boardset. Are you designing, or considering designing, additional boards? Maybe that's not a tactful question for me to ask at this point.

You have certainly made my day! Of course, you "make my day " regularly -- "Michael Welch" is a household hero and DXBall the entertainment of choice at our place!

IP:

J Cubed
posted May 07, 2000 08:43 PM         
I was thinking, many people want a board editor, but the one that is on the internet is technically illegal, and as Jim McNally put it in a reply to the post by Tyr (Subject '4 board limit?') disrepectful to the company and the people. So I thought, what if Longbow released a board editor, but one could only get it if one purchased a board pack, and one could only use the boards created on this editor if one had purchased a board pack. This way Longbow could still receive payment for their work, it would not be any form of copyright infringement, and, especially for those who feel for the McNally family about the loss of Seumas, would be respectful to Seumas et. al.

------------------
Laziness is the mother of invention.

IP:

Michael P. Welch
posted May 11, 2000 05:06 PM            
Jan3b,
First, I'd like to say that I'm just an ordinary fellow. My neighbors and co-workers don't really consider me all that interesting. I'm confident that if you spent 10 minutes talking to me in person, you'd find that I'm not really "all that and a bag of chips." But, I write games and people seem to appreciate my work. That's all I ever really wanted. Oh, and thanks for addicting your friends. I hope you told them that there wasn't a cure. <g>

JCubed,
That's a nice idea, but who's going to write it? DX-Ball 2 was my gift to Seumas... it's not mine to change. I'll write the next DX-Ball. Give me some time.

IP:

NOPeR
posted May 12, 2000 12:04 PM            
Wait a second J Cubed! I agree with what you have said about a Official Board Editor from LDA and had hopes that my little editor would soon be another project lost in the abyss of the Internet, BUT DXBoard IS NOT illegal, nor is it disrespectful!

- DXBoard was created for DX-Ball 2 Version 1.0 which lacked any restrictions on Editors. Only later was it updated to work with 1.2 and this was done because LDA had little plans to furthur DX-Ball 2 at the time. (Tread Marks anyone?)

- The boardset file format created by Seumas has an implied intellectual copywrite, thus the specifications of the file format are protected. I never published any information about these specifications, nor did I steal, decompile, reverse-engineer, or otherwise break any laws to replicate the format.

- One of the reasons DX-Ball 2 was updated to version 1.2 was to include the 4-board limit. This limit allowed a playing field for user-created boards, but didn't steal the life of the game.

- Jim McNally's reply to Tyr refers to the changing of the DX-Ball 2 executable to disable the 4-board limit as disrespectful, NOT the creation of DXBoard. /forums/archive/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000180.html

- Yes, at the time LDA did show some distaste toward my editor...but since then it has helped the DX-Ball 2 community grow. LDA was also expanding - perhaps we could also say they were becoming 'a bigger man'.

-There would have never been an Official Editor. Seumas was a great person and would have done it, but his time was short and he was still working on Tread Marks.

I don't really know LDA's stand on DXBoard, but I have moved on to creating Mods for Tread Marks and have been told by Jim McNally that I SHOULD give back to the community by creating addons...I felt I was doing this when I made DXBoard - even if they hadn't anticipated it.

If LDA had ever asked me I would have removed DXBoard for the Internet. I also would have made it an Official Editor. Hey - there was no disrespect here! It was all about letting everyone know how much I enjoyed this game!

NOPeR
Author of DXBoard

IP:

Jan3b
posted May 21, 2000 11:46 AM         
Michael, your modesty is most becoming, but I was glad to have a chance to express my big old heartfelt THANKS to you. Ordinary fella or not <g>, your game has put smiles on many a face! I am looking forward to playing your new boards in the Classic Pack.

As for telling the newly afflicted that DXBall addiction is incurable, naaah, I don't bother. They pick up on that real fast! The way I see it, the incurable factor is amply offset by the Character they build trying not to spend ALL their waking hours playing DXBall. Character's good, right? Naturally, being a friend, I give them the benefit of the doubt -- that they at least put up a struggle! ;o

IP: